New Processing Times London

rheia

Just got an alert saying that the webpage showing the current processing times for the London embassy has changed.

Check it out here:

http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/immi_processing_times.html

This affects the permanent visa applications:

Permanent Visa Applications

Resident Return - within 7 working days

Partner Migration - 10 to 14 months (was 8 - 9 months)

Child Migration and adoption - 8 to 12 months (was 9 months)

Orphan Relative - 8 to 12 months (was 9 months)

Extended Eligibility Child (subclass 445) - 8 to 12 months (was 9 months)

EDIT: As MovingtoTasmania pointed out, this should NOT affect those people that have already applied.

Edited by rheia

Just got an alert saying that the webpage showing the current processing times for the London embassy has changed.

Check it out here:

http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/immi_processing_times.html

This affects the permanent visa applications:

Permanent Visa Applications

Resident Return - within 7 working days

Partner Migration - 10 to 14 months (was 8 - 9 months)

Child Migration and adoption - 8 to 12 months (was 9 months)

Orphan Relative - 8 to 12 months (was 9 months)

Extended Eligibility Child (subclass 445) - 8 to 12 months (was 9 months)

EDIT: As MovingtoTasmania pointed out, this should NOT affect those people that have already applied.

Hi,

thanks for posting this and being so updated! Is it 100% that it doesn't affect those who already applied? I had a mini heart attack when I saw the processing times had changed!! I applied in March and am moving over with the tourist visa in October and was literally just choosing the flights when I saw this!

Thanks again!!

Unfortunately, from what I've seen with DIBP processing times, from applicants and from migration agents, I wouldn't assume the change won't affect applications already in process. They say DIBP "aims to process 75 per cent of cases within" the processing standard. But ultimately they take no responsibility for any specific processing timeframe.

I agree with Maggie May24 - if onshore visas are anything to go by, then processing times will increase from what you were quoted when you put the application in. There is no guarantee that they will stick to the quoted time.

Unfortunately, from what I've seen with DIBP processing times, from applicants and from migration agents, I wouldn't assume the change won't affect applications already in process. They say DIBP "aims to process 75 per cent of cases within" the processing standard. But ultimately they take no responsibility for any specific processing timeframe.

I don't see how it could apply to existing applicants as we have things planned around our quoted time. Like my wedding is in April. So if this did apply I would have to change the date and cancel venues. If it did apply I would of thought our c/o would inform us

It can apply to existing applications DIBP can make changes to existing processing times how ever they see fit. Not much you CO can do this is not the first time these family visas processing times have changed over night. As regards to you PMV application if you get married before your visa has been granted you would inform your CO that you are now married and get the application changed to the partner visa. But I would take advice from a registered migration agent.

I don't see how it could apply to existing applicants as we have things planned around our quoted time. Like my wedding is in April. So if this did apply I would have to change the date and cancel venues. If it did apply I would of thought our c/o would inform us

At every other embassy in the world, PMV applicants have to schedule their weddings AFTER their PMV grants and plan it quickly after grant because they can't be sure when their visa will be granted. When I applied for my PMV through Washington, D.C., the quoted timeframe was 5-6 months. It took 8 months, and I was one of the lucky ones - others who applied around the same time I did waited 10-11 months. Luckily I knew enough to know you couldn't 100% rely on timeframes quoted, and just to be on the safe side I scheduled it far enough out that I didn't have to reschedule it. London for the last couple of years has been the best embassy I've seen and given their applicants the most realistic timeframe and actually stuck to it. But London applicants have been lucky. Many who don't know not to trust timeframes at other embassies have had to reschedule weddings when they scheduled it too early and their grant didn't come in time. Immi (at least at other embassies) absolutely does NOT take your wedding date into account when granting your visa.

Edited by CollegeGirl

I should say I really, really hope that they ARE indeed NOT going to impose this new timeframe on current applicants. I just think there's no way to be 100% sure of it, and I'll continue to think that until we see it in writing somewhere or hear from a reliable registered migration agent about it.

It can apply to existing applications DIBP can make changes to existing processing times how ever they see fit. Not much you CO can do this is not the first time these family visas processing times have changed over night. As regards to you PMV application if you get married before your visa has been granted you would inform your CO that you are now married and get the application changed to the partner visa. But I would take advice from a registered migration agent.

Just be aware that you'll then be assessed on the merits of the 309 and may need more evidence than you'd have for the 300 (combined finances and households, etc).

Just had a very quick reply email from my c/o

Thanks for your email. The new processing times only apply to new applications and your application is not affected thus 8-9 months would still apply in your case. You can still travel on a tourist visa if we are unable to finalise the application by December.

Hope this puts other peoples minds at rest

At every other embassy in the world, PMV applicants have to schedule their weddings AFTER their PMV grants and plan it quickly after grant because they can't be sure when their visa will be granted.

I know that DIBP tells people not to plan anything until after the visa grant, but isn't a requirement of the PMV that you have a celebrant booked and a Notice of Intended Marriage submitted? I know these arrangements can be changed quite easily, but the visa application process does, nevertheless, require you to choose a marriage date for the NOIM.

I'm new to this forum, so please be nice! :wink:

My partner and I have recently submitted the 309/100 Partner Migration Visa from in the UK. We submitted everything online on the 29th July and received an email from our appointed CO today! Seems very quick and thought this would bode well, however, they have advised that processing times are now 10-14 months and not to go ahead with Health and Character checks until 29th Jan 2015 at the earliest!!

Are we now playing the waiting game like so many others, or the fact that we've heard from our CO this quickly could be a good sign?! (prob just wishful thinking!)

Does anyone know any alternative options? - my gf will have to return to Oz in January as her 6 month UK tourist visa expires then, but we can't be apart for another 5+ months after then!!

Any advice much appreciated, Many Thanks.

I'm new to this forum, so please be nice! :wink:

My partner and I have recently submitted the 309/100 Partner Migration Visa from in the UK. We submitted everything online on the 29th July and received an email from our appointed CO today! Seems very quick and thought this would bode well, however, they have advised that processing times are now 10-14 months and not to go ahead with Health and Character checks until 29th Jan 2015 at the earliest!!

Are we now playing the waiting game like so many others, or the fact that we've heard from our CO this quickly could be a good sign?! (prob just wishful thinking!)

Does anyone know any alternative options? - my gf will have to return to Oz in January as her 6 month UK tourist visa expires then, but we can't be apart for another 5+ months after then!!

Any advice much appreciated, Many Thanks.

I'm afraid that you will have to wait as they have advised. You could travel to Aus with your partner on a Tourist Visa or WHV but then you will need to leave the country whilst the grant it being made.

I think that if there was any chance it was going to be sooner due to having been allocated a CO sooner, then you wouldn't need to wait until end of Jan 2015 for the Meds/PCC but bearing in mind that if the meds throw anything up then it's another 3 months (ish, could be longer) to sort that out, it's unlikely that grant will be made in April of 2015 at the 8 month mark but more likely June (ish) at the 10 month mark.

Perhaps look at getting another tourist visa if possible, but there's not much else you can do. A lot of couples spend significant time apart while waiting for visas to process.

I feel your pain. Sadly, society as a whole has a pretty negative attitude to immigration and delays in processing partner visas are part of the grand plan to reduce/control the numbers of immigrants. The strategic way to address it - which will not benefit you but may benefit others in the future - is for the Australian partner to write to elected representatives and newspapers demanding the right to live with the partner of their choice without being forced to live apart or overseas for prolonged periods of time.

I know that DIBP tells people not to plan anything until after the visa grant, but isn't a requirement of the PMV that you have a celebrant booked and a Notice of Intended Marriage submitted? I know these arrangements can be changed quite easily, but the visa application process does, nevertheless, require you to choose a marriage date for the NOIM.

Yep, of course it is. But you pick a date for the NOIM, but don't put down any sort of deposit anywhere or send out invitations or do anything for that date that you can't change later because SO many applicants do NOT get approved before the date they picked for their NOIM.

When we did the NOIM, I made sure I picked a date that fell AFTER what I thought would be the latest possible date my NOIM would be approved, but BEFORE the date I thought would be nine months after the EARLIEST my grant would possibly come. We ended up being just about spot-on with our wedding date. But a lot of people don't think to plan it that way, and processing times can change so much that even when you plan it that way you still might not get the grant in time.