What do you wish you'd known/done...

Aunt Agatha

My mate just had a failed return home and ponged back. She tried to go home just before Xmas. The weather was poor, days were too short and too much of a shock after Brisbane. No jobs going at that time of year too. She will try again, but go in spring. This is my plan also - a spring and summer prepares you for winter.

Take a trip to NZ and re-trace our steps with our kids when Mrs & I went in 2000. However time is Sydney was great, watching our kids clown around on Bondi and going on a boat under the harbour bridge en route to Parramatta was amazing. I'm glad we did that :) Next month Sennen Cove in Cornwall, cant wait..

Take a trip to NZ and re-trace our steps with our kids when Mrs & I went in 2000. However time is Sydney was great, watching our kids clown around on Bondi and going on a boat under the harbour bridge en route to Parramatta was amazing. I'm glad we did that :) Next month Sennen Cove in Cornwall, cant wait..

don't forget polperro ....and mevagissey if you are going to cornwall

Spent all my holidays in Mevagissy, as a child great memories , my auntie and uncle lived there, most time on beach or out fishing on my uncles boat, treated more like a local than holiday makers.

Their house over looked the harbour by the Coastguard look out on the footpath down to the harbour

I'm really interested in the "wishing they hadn't moved in winter" stories as we have recently decided to shift our move from December to March - sounds like we made a good decision. It won't be warm in March but at least we'll be there just as Spring is about to be Sprung.

It's also good to hear some of you say that you wish you had done it sooner! I like a happy ending.

I wish I'd seen more of Australia before we left but simply didn't have the option so we'll just have to go back off a holiday one day.

We moved back this time last year and that was perfect, weather was great and we had the summer off as a family before the reality of school and work had to kick in.

The only thing I would do differently is not have my parents to stay in our second week back - it was a little fraught but I think mainly because we were all staying at a friends house and it was just too small for us all.

What I would recommend is taking a little holiday in a beautiful part of the UK if you can, we did a tour of the Highlands (by Premier Inn!) and it was wonderful just to reconnect with the land.

My mate just had a failed return home and ponged back. She tried to go home just before Xmas. The weather was poor, days were too short and too much of a shock after Brisbane. No jobs going at that time of year too. She will try again, but go in spring. This is my plan also - a spring and summer prepares you for winter.

I think that is a good idea. Ease you in......

I wish I'd seen more of Australia before we left but simply didn't have the option so we'll just have to go back off a holiday one day.

We moved back this time last year and that was perfect, weather was great and we had the summer off as a family before the reality of school and work had to kick in.

The only thing I would do differently is not have my parents to stay in our second week back - it was a little fraught but I think mainly because we were all staying at a friends house and it was just too small for us all.

What I would recommend is taking a little holiday in a beautiful part of the UK if you can, we did a tour of the Highlands (by Premier Inn!) and it was wonderful just to reconnect with the land.

Little holiday is a great idea even though it seems extravagant. Remember it is still cold til May and even though I have never been I that position I imagine it is important to do the fun stuff like hols, walks, picnic etc even tho u will b so busy and skint. U dont wa t to get too caught up in the drudgery of moving. Hos about a festival or something. ...u could book b4 u leave or get someone else to. Shakespeare in some castle grounds or whatever floats your boat

I like the idea of a little holiday to look forward to. I think once we find a rental we'll look at a weekend away somewhere - I'm really looking forward to seeing England with fresh eyes.

Already I know I will look at England in a different way, focussing on all it/we have there and not what we dont (weather)

To me I dont think it will feel like moving 'back' as it will feel and look like a different place. Absence makes the heart grow fonder n' all that!

Archived