To move or not to move?

hookturn

I've been asking around whether it's worth to move to melbourne now. Many have said that australia is not like long ago. Things are more expensive now and people live on tight budgets and job market is very tough. Tough for new migrants to land their first job. Is this really true? What are your views?

I've been asking around whether it's worth to move to melbourne now. Many have said that australia is not like long ago. Things are more expensive now and people live on tight budgets and job market is very tough. Tough for new migrants to land their first job. Is this really true? What are your views?

I think it depends what you (general you) are moving for. If someone is moving because they think it is the land of milk and honey then yes they are likely to be disappointed. Housing is expensive, the exchange rate not so good, it is no longer possible to swap the three bed terraced for the four bed detached with pool, on the whole anyway. If someone is moving for non material reasons then maybe it is still worth it.

Regarding employment, well all countries have economic cycles and moving or staying won't change that. At the moment unemployment in Australia is about 6%, so a bit higher than you would like, but not shocking either.

Hi Hookturn, firstly welcome to our forum!

Here's my view. Knowing what I know now, setting hindsight aside, and just making conscious comparisons to what I believed was in store for me, and the reality of MY experience, given the ability to rewind 18 months I would not have made the move.

Forgetting day to day struggles like heat, nasties, cost of living, driving standards, terrible TV, radio and electric garage door syndrome, what I never considered was my wellbeing and state of mind making this move would have on me. Xmas for eg in the sun sounds great but when your actually there it is a killer, nothing fun or happy about it at all. All you think about is where your from,,what you left, family, what there doing RIGHT NOW wishing you were there....missing birthdays, and for what exactly??? What do you get in return? I for one felt this way and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy and I know many others also feel like this. NO brochure, sun kissed paradise promise of dreams substitutes the feeling of belonging and contentment. Trouble is people like me realise this and learn the hard way....I'd say AU ain't half cracked up to what is made out and the UK ain't nowhere near as bad as we (I used to, not now oh no) grumble about. Sorry I got to you first !!

Hi, there must be someone out there who has made the move in the last 2 years and haven't looked back?!? Anyone!?! I have read lots of comments like yours Bora and it's really worried me about moving as i wouldn't be able to just pack up and return anytime soon.

There will be peeps that have moved in last 2 yrs and not looked back , I think no one can answer this because everyone circumstances are different , people have different needs , and expectations . I moved 2 yrs ago nearly , if I knew what I knew now I would not of bothered if you have a good life in uk , good jobs , family , holidays , ect... But weather here is great . No one can answer this for you and no one can say don't do it . It's something you need to figure out for yourself . I wouldn't of listened to anyone if they told me not to come , it's something I don't regret experiencing . But miss family if my son was here might be different for me but my other two boys don't want to go back . It all depends how work goes for us , going great now but who knows what will happen . Good luck :wink:

Hi we moved one year and one month ago to melbourne however it may not be a fair comparison as I grew up here anyway but spend ten years in uk before moving back with my English girlfriend. So far it's going great. I got a job before I left uk. took a few months but once got one handed in notice and jumped on plane. My girlfriend has settled into life well she's made new friends and has a job as a teacher in a great school. People on this forum were very doom and gloom about her job prospects but it didn't take long for her to get one.

The majority of migrants are happy and as a result 2/3 stay. But of course that means about 35% leave.

It will vary for everyone, but from my years on the forums I would say it depends a lot on the reasons for migrating and how close you are to family and friends.

For example, if you doing it because you think you are escaping something you don't like about the uk, then you may be disappointed to find it is here waiting for you. I have heard prospective migrants say things like they are doing it because the uk has gone to crap. Which is funny as pick up any newspaper here and you will see letters from ozzies saying the same thing about Oz.

If you are doing it because you believe there will be more work opportunities, then do a lot of research to make sure that is really the case.

One of the worst reasons that crops up is people are doing it for their kids to have a better life. All I can think of is these people haven't done a single bit of research about Oz.

Another big issue is where one partner has been the driving force behind the move and the other wasn't that keen. That can often cause massive issues down the line.

If u compare myself to my uk raised cousins it's clear to see i turned out much better so i will support the better for kids arguement

I turned out better than my cousins, I was raised in the UK, they were not. It doesn't prove anything. It is more likely down to parenting or just plain genetics.

But back on topic, I think loads of people have made the move in last two years and are happy with the decision. It is just about realistic expectations and yes they do need to be a bit different now than ten years ago.

Hi, there must be someone out there who has made the move in the last 2 years and haven't looked back?!? Anyone!?! I have read lots of comments like yours Bora and it's really worried me about moving as i wouldn't be able to just pack up and return anytime soon.

I've got a friend, whom I met at the pub, just after he arrived, around two years ago, and he epitomises the experiences of most of us. He's had his up's and down's, periods out of work, homesickness, money problems, but he's come out the other side, with a wonderful relationship, a new baby, and I can't see him ever going home. I do know a couple of guys who have returned home, but just about every single Pommie, I've asked, tell me the same things when I ask them what they think about Australia. 'Do you like it here?' 'I love it.' 'Why?' 'The weather, the lifestyle, the opportunities.' One even surprised me by saying 'have you been to England lately?' (And for the record, I love England!)

Some might argue that my survey is too small, that I ask the wrong questions, but the statistics over the years, prove that the majority of emigrants like living in Australia. I remember seeing the figures for the 'Ten Pound Poms', around a million of us I think, and a quarter of them returned to the UK, BUT, half of that quarter came back to Australia.

There's a quote I like by Oscar Wilde on the subjects of cynics. 'A cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.' Well, some people who come here try to do the same thing, drawing up endless lists of profit and loss, debit and credit, obsessing about the exchange rate (actually not bad compared to a couple of years ago), salaries, cost of living, working out strange formulas, based on exchange rates, UK v OZ prices '2X plus 3Y times 1.89 per cent.

All rubbish in my opinion because YOU are different. You could stay in England and have a great life, as good or better than you could have in Australia. Generally speaking, happy people are happy wherever they are. But you have planted the seed of the possiblity of living in a different country. I'm getting flowery here, but don't let a few 'n'er do wells' put you off your big adventure, and pull that young shoot up before it's had the chance to bloom!

You have to bear in mind that people who've moved and are happy, don't feel the need to join a forum like this - they're too busy building their new life!

You are right to be concerned, if you've got possessions and family, moving is going to bust such a big hole in your savings you can't afford to do it twice. So, why are you moving? What do you think Australia will give you that a move within the UK wouldn't?

I often see people saying they think Australia will give them a better life: I think that was true years ago, but much less so now - mainly because house prices (and car prices) are so high, they more than counteract any higher salary.

Hi, there must be someone out there who has made the move in the last 2 years and haven't looked back?!?

The ones who haven't looked back are the ones least likely to be on a forum like this...they are too busy elsewhere off living their life.

Those with positive experiences who are still on here are the rare ones...the very altruistic, helpful types...the guiding angels.:wink::wubclub:

There was a special thread created on PIO for people to tell their positive stories but, as with all threads, it gets lost unless you go looking...

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-chat-dilemmas/193833-positive-emigrating-australia-true-life-stories-10.html

For the OP, whether to move or not depends on so many variables:

what you are coming from, what - sometimes where - you are going to, strength of motivation, family dynamics back home, the dynamics of the group you are migrating with, how realistic you are about your own strengths and weaknesses, how you cope with change - some people thrive on it, others find it very stressful - how realistic you are about your new life, how much you have researched and thought about the changes

I don't buy the line that people are "conned" by unrealistic promises. That might have washed 50 years ago when all the potential migrant had was a brochure and a promotional film.

But now everything is available, uncensored, on the internet, in real time...the good, the bad and the ugly.

The big unknowable is how you will cope with the move, if you have never done it before.

We made the move and are happy. There, I said it.

My POV for you :)

Heat - Knew it was going to be hot here in summer and also that spring and autumn would be warmer. Yes the 40C plus days were not pleasant but out of 365 days in a year, there were not that many of them. Yes the heat on occasions had me gumbling but it hasn't been enough to even begin to help spoil the experience of moving here for me. It gets hot here and humid in some parts of the country. There is no escaping that fact.

Nasties - I've seen one red back. One in 9 months. And I simply left it alone. As for other spiders, sure they exist but they've not bothered me and nor I them. This from a person who was living in a (converted Aussie) shed for a fair while and so had lots of things getting in to visit ;) Not seen a snake yet. Spotted lots of skinks and other delights but love seeing these. I love the other wildlife I've seen. Koala and her young in the wild, roos, bandicoots and more. Plus the birds, noisy as some of them are, still lovely to see. Hoping to go whale watching and penguin spotting.

Cost of living - The initial impact was noticeable as you tend to work converting back to £ and so can be a bit gobsmacked when going round the stores. However, I put the brakes on doing that ASAP as once living in Aus, earning Aus $$ I felt I needed to be working in the local currency and not my old one.Yes some foods do seem pricey, some not. I find bread expensive, even working in Aus $. Also spuds can be pricey for a few weeks then drop back down. Things like medical insurance can add up if you are not used to paying it in the UK and decide to take cover out here. Cars tend to be expensive if comparing to the UK but good deals can be had. Sure, still a bit pricey but there are deals out there. Water bill is another thing we keep a close eye on and we try to regulate our water use as we pay for what we use. Hubby was a bit shocked at the last one so is making an effort to cut back. He works from home so I think forgot that the cost of that may be higher than other people.

Driving - I see no worse driving than I did in the UK if I am honest. Tailgaiting - check, jumping the lights - check, speeding only to then get stuck at the next set of lights - check, boy racers - check, people looking at their phones instead of the road - check. All of this happens pretty much everywhere there are cars though so I don't see it as bad because its Aus. I saw stuff in the UK would make my jaw drop too. I see mostly rear end knocks in and around the city here. Sticking to the main roads which are generally 2-3 lanes, pretty straight and with lights are regular intervals means its people rear ending more than head on. I still see some people planting their cars into lamp posts, bollards and the like as I did in the UK. And of course, other accidents occur in both countries. Insurance is reasonable, fuel cheaper. Roads are different here, no narrow winding lanes or streets, its all wide roads, 2-3 lanes on the main ones and lights to keep it flowing (or not depending on the hour). I find driving here round the city and suburbs pretty boring stuff. Gets a bit monotonous so glad I don't have to do it daily. Glad I never had to do the daily commute in the UK either as that would have been the same day after day too.

TV and radio - As I am not a great TV watcher this hasn't really had an impact on me much. I tend to cherry pick, watch what I want and then turn it off. I don't sit in front of it all night channel hopping trying to find something to watch nor was I a UK soap fan who misses them or anything like that. The ads are annoying, no getting away from them on lots of stations. But if this is all I can find to grumble about its hardly ruining my quality of life. If it gets to the point its so bad for me I'll record stuff and skip the ads when I watch it back. TV is changing, online streaming and the like mean TV is 24/7 on demand and it will only become more accessible as time goes on I feel.

Garage door syndrome - We bought a house recently. Moved in and within a day our neighbours from across the road had come over to introduce themselves and chat. We've had a fair few catch ups with them now when out in the garden and they have been really friendly. Another neighbour was in the process of selling their house but they were lovely and made us feel welcome plus gave us some garden furniture and tools. Ones across the street have been over also, introduced themselves and their kids come kick a ball round with ours. Another family have their house on the market but have been really lovely and the guy even came over and went up on our roof to try to fix a leak that sprung during the recent heavy rain. Apparently there is a Christmas party every year and everyone from the street pitches up. Usually a different house each year or sometimes a BBQ in the local park. Looking forward to that :)

Where we were before we bought, neighbours were lovely. We stayed with family and people a few doors down either way all knew each other and were friendly/helpful. Again, one helped with our car, fixed a leaking pipe and more. I guess we have had a positive experience in the areas we have lived and are living is what you could say.

Job wise I cannot comment if its worth making the move. Both my husband and I are self employed here.

Housing wise, we have been really happy with the house we bought. Its middle of winter here atm and the house seems to have coped fine. Sure it is a bit draughty in places, yes the bathrooms are nippy due to the heating not being in those rooms but there. I grumble about it but soon warm up once back into the main house again. Plus side for us is we have air con we can run into all the main rooms of the house, living spaces, bedrooms, will really be good in summer.

Christmas in the sun was a bit weird I must admit. But it was still Christmas, just done differently. Didn't seem anywhere near as jarring as my first Christmas in Germany or the many I spent living in the Netherlands. Sure they had similar weather to the UK but the traditions and the day were celebrated very differently. However, when in Rome and all that and I actually came to loving the Dutch Christmas and still keep some of its traditions to this day. Our house is a bit jumbled up in how it celebrates but we love it. Its our Christmas. Hubby being an Aussie spent many years with the UK Christmas so it was lovely to spend it with his family and friends here. Looking forward to the next one. New Years for us was lovely. Spent it on the beach, band playing, kids entertainers, dip in the shallows and then a big firework display at 9:30pm for the kids and families then another one at midnight for the adults out partying. We may well do the same again this year but go with a heap of friends and their kids rather than on our own.

Homesickness - not something that has ever bothered me. I guess I am lucky in that respect. Sure I've missed not being able to see people but we catch up now and again on Skype for a natter and email/FB and so on are all good platforms to use. Beats handwritten letters and a once a month 10 minute phonecall of 20 years ago when I first went travelling. I miss my parents but didn't see a great deal of them when we were in the UK, once every 4-6 weeks or so. So seeing them once a year for a few weeks now is different but it'll be good.

So for us, can't say its been a bad move and its certainly not one I regret. Of course, situations change and things happen but given we feel settled and are happy with our lives here I can't see that suddenly changing overnight. Maybe in years to come we may want to have a change or go elsewhere but we have never said 'this is it forever' or anything so the pressure of migrating or making a move across the world is not one that has bothered us in the least. We moved an hour down the M5 in England and had more changes in our lives. A move to the other side of the world has been in many ways far less disruptive and nowhere near as hard to adapt to in some respects. I also want to add we were perfectly happy with our life in the UK. We were not disullisioned, fed up with it or anything close to that. Nor where we wanting to escape a country we felt to be in decline and trying to find a 'better life' as quite honestly, that doesn't exisit I don't believe. Nor was I under any illusion Aus was going to magically solve any or all problems we may have had. It hasn't, it won't. We do that as we go.

ETA - I posted this in the positive migration stories thread :yes:

I don't buy the line that people are "conned" by unrealistic promises. That might have washed 50 years ago when all the potential migrant had was a brochure and a promotional film.

But now everything is available, uncensored, on the internet, in real time...the good, the bad and the ugly.

The big unknowable is how you will cope with the move, if you have never done it before.

This a thousand times over :yes:

Hi Hookturn. Judging from your name you have been here before. Melbourne is cold and wet at the moment - we have had snow down to 500m - so north Queensland is where I would be heading. Melbourne is growing out of control - places like Pakenham which only a few years ago was rural paddocks is now a sprawling suburb. Commuting by car is a nightmare and public transport is ordinary. Unemployment is growing and will get much worse in the near future. The high Oz dollar means manufacturing is shutting down fast as everything moves to Asia. Ford, GMH and Toyota will all be gone in the next 3 years and the flow on to parts manufacturers and suppliers etc will be devastating. The mining industry has kept the dollar high but has destroyed manufacturing. No doubt things will work out eventually. If you are making big money and can afford to live in the inner city area, Melbourne will still be great. But if you are a battler go somewhere else.

The ones who haven't looked back are the ones least likely to be on a forum like this...they are too busy elsewhere off living their life.

Those with positive experiences who are still on here are the rare ones...the very altruistic, helpful types...the guiding angels.:wink::wubclub:

There was a special thread created on PIO for people to tell their positive stories but, as with all threads, it gets lost unless you go looking...

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-chat-dilemmas/193833-positive-emigrating-australia-true-life-stories-10.html

For the OP, whether to move or not depends on so many variables:

what you are coming from, what - sometimes where - you are going to, strength of motivation, family dynamics back home, the dynamics of the group you are migrating with, how realistic you are about your own strengths and weaknesses, how you cope with change - some people thrive on it, others find it very stressful - how realistic you are about your new life, how much you have researched and thought about the changes

You have described me to a T! I could not have put it better.

We've been in Brisbane nearly 3 years, definitely no looking back! We came over on a 457 and hope to get our PR visa any day now, then we can feel even more settled. Love it here, so happy, even with our rental though we aspire to buy as soon as we can get shot of our house in Scotland (please leave soon, non-paying tenants!!).

At first things were mainly great from day 1 though my own job hunt was rather bumpy - took 3 months to get a job I disliked and a further 3 months to get a great job I'm still at. We have a fab social life, with mainly Aussie friends, in fact a bunch of them are going on the same trip around California as us next month! Family not an issue for me though I miss my brother, my remaining blood rellie, but he stayed with us for a couple of weeks and we've always lived quite far apart anyway. Hubby, well he's a guy heh heh, I was the emotional one when we left his mum's house the night before we flew here!

Although temp residents, I felt settled enough to adopt a kitten within our first year here, and that's our little family unit. Happy happy days!

Out of curiosity, what is garage door syndrome?!

Out of curiosity, what is garage door syndrome?!

It's a syndrome that applies in some Australian suburbs, where people come home after work, close the door of the garage (with internal access to the house, of course) and don't venture out again - so neighbours never see each other and the streets are all deserted.

It's nice to hear these positive stories thanks. I have found the thread but it had older stories and having read a lot of people saying it's not like it used to be years ago (the move and opportunities) glad to hear people are happy with there choice. I think I had just spent to much time reading the negative stories and had a panic. Reading both has given me food for thought....well not put me off the move but to think about some aspects before we go!! Thanks

It's a syndrome that applies in some Australian suburbs, where people come home after work, close the door of the garage (with internal access to the house, of course) and don't venture out again - so neighbours never see each other and the streets are all deserted.

Or 'An Australianman's home is his castle?'

It's nice to hear these positive stories thanks. I have found the thread but it had older stories and having read a lot of people saying it's not like it used to be years ago (the move and opportunities) glad to hear people are happy with there choice. I think I had just spent to much time reading the negative stories and had a panic. Reading both has given me food for thought....well not put me off the move but to think about some aspects before we go!! Thanks

If you were in South Wales, and coming to live in Sydney, I would say you are moving from OLD South Wales, to NEW South Wales! I did actually experience a touch of deja vu, driving along the M4.

Guest Guest 47403

Hi mate welcome to the forum, everyone's experience is individual I suppose, I recently made the move and for me it's a definate case of why the hell didn't we do this earlier we both landed full time work very quickly, wife within a week of landing me within 3 weeks, the cost of living really isn't that different from the UK a bit of scaremongering going on there it's all relative some things are more expensive others cheaper, drivers aren't as considerate or polite but the overall driving standard is very similar.

I've moved to Perth so can't really advise on Melbourne weather all I know is a Perth winter is like the best UK spring ever with less rain days..............but when it rains it rains proper!!

If you're close to family it may be a struggle at first my wife had terrible homesickness for the first 3 weeks to the point where I really was worried she was going to say she wanted to go back............but it passed thankfully.

If you're willing to put something into starting a new life in Oz you'll definately get something out of it like I said it's all individual, if you're the sort to get all dreary eyed at the sight of a thatched roof stay in the UK you're doomed to failure save your dough, if you can recognise new opportunities and make the most of them go for it and give it a try.

I never left the UK thinking it was 'broken Britain' 'gone to the dogs' etc etc just left looking for a change of scenery and new challenge. One thing I will say though is I think it's a better place for younger kids IMO.

Hi mate welcome to the forum, everyone's experience is individual I suppose, I recently made the move and for me it's a definate case of why the hell didn't we do this earlier we both landed full time work very quickly, wife within a week of landing me within 3 weeks, the cost of living really isn't that different from the UK a bit of scaremongering going on there it's all relative some things are more expensive others cheaper, drivers aren't as considerate or polite but the overall driving standard is very similar.

I've moved to Perth so can't really advise on Melbourne weather all I know is a Perth winter is like the best UK spring ever with less rain days..............but when it rains it rains proper!!

If you're close to family it may be a struggle at first my wife had terrible homesickness for the first 3 weeks to the point where I really was worried she was going to say she wanted to go back............but it passed thankfully.

If you're willing to put something into starting a new life in Oz you'll definately get something out of it like I said it's all individual, if you're the sort to get all dreary eyed at the sight of a thatched roof stay in the UK you're doomed to failure save your dough, if you can recognise new opportunities and make the most of them go for it and give it a try.

I never left the UK thinking it was 'broken Britain' 'gone to the dogs' etc etc just left looking for a change of scenery and new challenge. One thing I will say though is I think it's a better place for younger kids IMO.

Hi Baz thanks for sharing. May I know how you and your wife managed to get jobs so fast? And in which field are you in?

Excellent article, Baz. Sums up everything you need to know and everything you are likely to experience if you want to become a "New Chum!"

I might add that most people who are happy in their lives in the UK, will also be happy in OZ.

One odd thing for me is that I probably immerse myself in more things English than at any time in my life. I watch 'Last of the Summer Wine' and then 'Midsomer Murders' every arvo from 3pm to 5pm on ABC. I read The Daily Mail and The Daily Telegraph on line every day, and scan 'News Now Tottenham Hotspur' multiple times every day (and night.) I watch Sky News UK every night from 0030 and I'm always keeping up with my UK friends via Facebook. I may even start listening to 'The Archers' again via the BBC Radio 4 site!

Archived