What do you miss about the UK?

aconcannon

Guest Guest66881
What I don't miss is having the Lead from my roof ripped off every month, my gas meter stolen, my garage doors spray painted, my cars wing mirrors kicked off weekly usually after a Saturday night, passing my wife in the hallway as i arrived from a 12 hour shift, and she left for one, so we could afford the house we lived in in the shithole street cos that's all we could afford on 2 wages. sorry rant over !!!

I do miss the closeness to Europe for Holidays though :cute:

:laugh:

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I don't miss is having the Lead from my roof ripped off every month, my gas meter stolen, my garage doors spray painted, my cars wing mirrors kicked off weekly usually after a Saturday night, passing my wife in the hallway as i arrived from a 12 hour shift, and she left for one, so we could afford the house we lived in in the shithole street cos that's all we could afford on 2 wages. sorry rant over !!!

I do miss the closeness to Europe for Holidays though :cute:

Bloody hell....where did you used to live?!?

I have to agree with original poster - As a non dog owner I do love the fact that people pick up after their pooch much more here. And that dogs are largely contained in those nasty dog exercise prisons. In fact two of my favourite things about Oz are relative lack of dog poo and the fact that there is usually a good supply of public loos in the town centres. Not enough to outweigh all the other stuff though.....

Gosh, I find the Cambridgeshire dog owners are far better at poop scooping than the Canberra ones! Much less doggie doo here! Maybe that's just Canberra's public service mentality though - the gov should clean up my mess! LOL (and mow my grass!!!!)

Gosh, I find the Cambridgeshire dog owners are far better at poop scooping than the Canberra ones! Much less doggie doo here! Maybe that's just Canberra's public service mentality though - the gov should clean up my mess! LOL (and mow my grass!!!!)

Must admit Quoll I never saw much dog poo back in suffolk either but see a lot here. We never had a dog in the UK and still dont have one here but I think the fact I notice more here could be because we go out dog walking with friends who have a dog...so maybe we go to more doggy areas.

Hope you are enjoying suffolk during the summer...im yet to find a better place in all my travels!

Must admit Quoll I never saw much dog poo back in suffolk either but see a lot here. We never had a dog in the UK and still dont have one here but I think the fact I notice more here could be because we go out dog walking with friends who have a dog...so maybe we go to more doggy areas.

Hope you are enjoying suffolk during the summer...im yet to find a better place in all my travels!

There seems to be a common denominator here: dog $hit related cognitive dissonance.

From a personal POV, as someone who stepped in the stuff and spread it all around the carpet at work today, I can confirm that dogs $hit just as much a problem in Geelong as anywhere I've been in Britain, except for maybe anywhere north of Watford Gap

There seems to be a common denominator here: dog $hit related cognitive dissonance.

From a personal POV, as someone who stepped in the stuff and spread it all around the carpet at work today, I can confirm that dogs $hit just as much a problem in Geelong as anywhere I've been in Britain, except for maybe anywhere north of Watford Gap

My poor DH needed to do a regular Poo Patrol on our block in ACT! We do seem to cop quite a few dead birds where we are now though - the other day a bloke rang the bell to tell us there was a dead pigeon on our nature strip - he was quite bemused when DH went out, picked it up and started a conversation about the merits of putting dead pigeons in the compost heap. I think the poor lad was a transplanted townie who had no idea that in a car vs bird altercation the car will win.

Only 40 mins down the road buddy, wonder how many Northerners go back compared to Southerners could be a census on the cards :wink:

Oh dear! My only experience of living 'oop North' was university at York. Oh and childhood trips to Worksop to see the rellies, but not strictly north I guess. Maybe Northerners just whinge more than Southerners? ...To get the conversation back to defecation - Us Southern Softies are as happy as a pig in poo.....

Oh dear! My only experience of living 'oop North' was university at York. Oh and childhood trips to Worksop to see the rellies, but not strictly north I guess. Maybe Northerners just whinge more than Southerners? ...To get the conversation back to defecation - Us Southern Softies are as happy as a pig in poo.....

Like isid a census need doing on returnees but from what I have seen on here most of the whingers are South of the M42 :wink:

Like I Said a census needs doing on returnees, but from what I have seen on here most of the whingers are South of the M42 :wink:

LOL. I have heard it said a few times on the forum over the years, that Northerners make a go of things here and settle easier than Southerners, the reason 'apparantly' is because the North is so grim with crap weather and no-one wants to be there anyway,,lol

Cal x

Can understand why you wanted to leave there, lol. I came from Wigan and have zero desire to ever go back (well apart from to see family that is).

Nowt wrong with Bolton mate, they breed us tough and we learn early never to fall at the first hurdle,, umm, maybe thats our secret to success during migration,lol..

We did have a member once who did return and she later said as soon as she arrived at the Train station, she knew she had made a mistake,lol

Cal x

LOL. I have heard it said a few times on the forum over the years, that Northerners make a go of things here and settle easier than Southerners, the reason 'apparantly' is because the North is so grim with crap weather and no-one wants to be there anyway,,lol

Cal x

I think it's more to do with Southerners being feeble pansies not used to a bit of hard yakka..

Archived