What do you miss about the UK?

aconcannon

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seasons, UK Football, Match of the day, country pub, family, friends, christmas, bonfire night, wearing different clothes throughout the year, crisp frosty morning, english country side, the green grass/landscape you only get in england, long summer evenings, proper bacon, proper pork pies, decent full english breakfast, going out for a nice carvery, log fires in the pub, being able to travel short distances (even still with in the UK) and hear a different accent and experience a different lifestyle, europe on your doorstep, feeling part of the rest of the world, double glazed windows, insulated houses, central heating, well built houses, London and all it offers, the history of england, affordable GOOD cars, sensible childcare costs, supermarkets where you dont have to take out a mortgage for a weeks shop, broadband speeds and prices, sky sports, sense of humor, TV, Radio, Music, festivals, being able to get a job without having to have every ludicrous licence under the sun, going to watch a football match mid week under the floodlights in the cold, the ability to sit in the garden without getting eaten by mozzis, no bogans, not many ridiculous loud V8 cars, the drivers on the road, the NHS, going to the doctors for free....... I think that will do for now.

You could go back to England, throw yourself down to kiss the ground as soon as you get off the plane, and be in Heaven, but you also might find that, after a while, and once you are actually 'living' there, you start to miss OZ! Maybe, maybe not, and there are an awful lot of 'things' rather than 'people', on your list, and it's the people, not the things, that most people miss.

The history. We don't have much at all- some crap old building from the 1930s have 'preservation orders' - that wouldn't happen over there, not old enough.

Many homesick Poms go on about the lack of 'history' here, but much of the actual history that they miss is from the last two hundred years anyway, the world of Dickens, Bronte, Trollope, Austen. You can't do much about the hard fact that we did not settle here until 1788, but that means that there are already buildings going back over 200 years.

There is an obelisk at Watsons Bay, in NSW, recording the fact that one of the British army regiments built the original road to Sydney in eleven weeks in 1811. I was reading UK 'Country Life' today in the doctor's waiting room, and this particular edition celebrated all things 'Georgian', which means it covered much of the period of early Australia, and of course Revolutionary America and France.

Standing on the cliffs at Watsons Bay, looking at the lighthouse and the memorial to the ship that sunk just off The Gap (can't think of the name - 'Dunbar!', you can imagine just how isolated Australia was in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Write a letter 'home' and it might be a year before you got a reply. Plenty of wrecks all around the coast of Australia too.

And you are wrong about buildings from the 1930's, or even later having preservation orders in the UK. What about 'Art Deco?' What about John Lennon and Paul McCartney's childhood homes? I think Southampton Civic Centre dates from the 1930's, and I can't see that ever being demolished. Yes, Southampton also has a medieval wall and Holy Rood church dating from 1340, bombed in 1940, and preserved as a memorial to the 'Titanic', very much a part of Southampton's history, given so many of the crew came from there.

On our recent holiday to the UK, we visited Pevensey Castle, the outer wall of which dates back to Roman times, the castle itself Norman. We also visited the Tower of London, the main 'White Tower' also dates back 11th century, while inside the white tower you can see Henry VIII's armour. We also visited Raglan castle which dates back to the 1430's.

To paraphrase Paul Hogan, 'Now that's history'.

Apologies to Aboriginal history. Impressive as it is that Aboriginal culture dates back to the very dawn of man, personally I don't find it as engaging or interesting as looking at Roman, Norman or even Tudor architecture or artifacts.

Many homesick Poms go on about the lack of 'history' here, but much of the actual history that they miss is from the last two hundred years anyway, the world of Dickens, Bronte, Trollope, Austen. You can't do much about the hard fact that we did not settle here until 1788, but that means that there are already buildings going back over 200 years.

There is an obelisk at Watsons Bay, in NSW, recording the fact that one of the British army regiments built the original road to Sydney in eleven weeks in 1811. I was reading UK 'Country Life' today in the doctor's waiting room, and this particular edition celebrated all things 'Georgian', which means it covered much of the period of early Australia, and of course Revolutionary America and France.

Standing on the cliffs at Watsons Bay, looking at the lighthouse and the memorial to the ship that sunk just off The Gap (can't think of the name - 'Dunbar!', you can imagine just how isolated Australia was in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Write a letter 'home' and it might be a year before you got a reply. Plenty of wrecks all around the coast of Australia too.

And you are wrong about buildings from the 1930's, or even later having preservation orders in the UK. What about 'Art Deco?' What about John Lennon and Paul McCartney's childhood homes? I think Southampton Civic Centre dates from the 1930's, and I can't see that ever being demolished. Yes, Southampton also has a medieval wall and Holy Rood church dating from 1340, bombed in 1940, and preserved as a memorial to the 'Titanic', very much a part of Southampton's history, given so many of the crew came from there.

I agree....when you think about the history of England....Australia cannot compare (if you like that sort of thing) and we do....I plan to fit in at least 2 historic cities on our next trip back...not sure which to narrow it down to though....going to do a shopping weekend with a friend and a romantic one with the OH

You could go back to England, throw yourself down to kiss the ground as soon as you get off the plane, and be in Heaven, but you also might find that, after a while, and once you are actually 'living' there, you start to miss OZ! Maybe, maybe not, and there are an awful lot of 'things' rather than 'people', on your list, and it's the people, not the things, that most people miss.

I hear what you are saying 100% and I know people who have gone back and the novelty has worn off and Ive read many posts on here where people say "dont do it" or "its not the same as you left" etc but after reading all these i still think that for us it would work and things would be as they were. I dont necessarily want things to be exactly 'the same' but the feel will still be there as too will the people and ties.

I agree with what you say that "its the people, not the things that most people miss" so the fact I have listed people/family/friends AS WELL AS lots of 'things' I think that there will be lots for us back there not just the people (not using the word 'just' lightly)

The reassurance I take in thinking about going home is that most/all of the things listed in my previous post will always be an issue whether Ive lived in australia for 1 year or 50 years.

For now though we are happy being here with no expectations of what we should achieve or not d-day in mind. We will stay until we want to go home, whether that be in 6 months or 10 years or longer.

Isn't it weird that the only place i have truly felt alive in (even though I do love the beach and bush walking etc) is Beechworth NSW- one of the oldest towns in Victoria. i think when you have grown up surrounded by history (i lived a few kms away from a castle growing up and that's where we had picnics, teenage drinking and then took my child to play) it's almost as if you need it. We are talking here something built in 1130- not 1930. It gives you a sense of time, place, amazement, belonging, inspiration- it puts your little life in perspective too. I guess some people dont' care about this and that's fine too- not everyone needs it. But knowing that you are a part of a long line of people in that place is amazing. It's not Australia's fault that it's still young. I love it's old buildings and early settler history, it's very interesting. But, i'm not part of it. However, eating my sandwiches sitting on a wall where Anne Boleyn was kept prisoner and where she looked out across the estuary as I am, eating my sandwiches- that's history.

I hear what you are saying 100% and I know people who have gone back and the novelty has worn off and Ive read many posts on here where people say "dont do it" or "its not the same as you left" etc but after reading all these i still think that for us it would work and things would be as they were. I dont necessarily want things to be exactly 'the same' but the feel will still be there as too will the people and ties.

I agree with what you say that "its the people, not the things that most people miss" so the fact I have listed people/family/friends AS WELL AS lots of 'things' I think that there will be lots for us back there not just the people (not using the word 'just' lightly)

The reassurance I take in thinking about going home is that most/all of the things listed in my previous post will always be an issue whether Ive lived in australia for 1 year or 50 years.

For now though we are happy being here with no expectations of what we should achieve or not d-day in mind. We will stay until we want to go home, whether that be in 6 months or 10 years or longer.

I always maintained my ties with the UK, arriving here in 1978, going back for six months in 1983, then for holidays in 1984/5, 1986, 1989/90, 1993, 1995, then going back for 12 years in 1996. But I have little contact now with friends from pre-1978 in the village I grew up in - Blackfield, Hants. My parents moved to another village, only 7 miles north, Marchwood, though it could have been in Australia! I created a new life in Marchwood, in many ways like emigrating, again. I usually say now I am from Marchwood, not Blackfield, though Blackfield, with its memories of growing up and school was what I missed when I first came to OZ. Now that my parents have passed away, I can't see myself ever going back to live. I made good friends in Marchwood, both in the village and at work, but I've done the same thing again back in Sydney. When my parents were alive, it was like having a home away from home, Mum and Dad picking me up from Heathrow. a lovely home to stay. Now, there would be nobody to welcome me, and I'd be staying in a B & B.

I could have made the UK my permanent home again, to be honest. I got used to being on my own in my parents' home (which I bought.) I had my job with Royal Mail. I loved living in The New Forest, but I always had the idea I would return to Australia. I am as nostalgic as anybody, but when I'm in England, I am nostalgic for Australia! My brother's in laws are from Italy and they told me they will never go back. Many migrants from countries like Italy intend to retire 'home' but then they realize that their children and grandchildren are Australians and what is the point of living far away from them?

It's all subjective I guess. My brother has made two trips to England in 35 years, and the first was for Mum's funeral. My other brother does not seem to care where he lives, Australia, the USA. I know many people who are happy as long as they can go back every year or two.

I'd say to anybody who has the chance to go back pemanently, or semi-permanently, take it. I did, (when I was made redundant, otherwise I'd probably never have had the 'courage' to just quit my job.) But don't make the decision on the basis of a holiday in spring and summer, when, it must be said, England looks truly wonderful! Remember, you are going to be 'living' there, not just on holiday, and 'winter is coming!' ('I swear it by the old gods and the new!')

Isn't it weird that the only place i have truly felt alive in (even though I do love the beach and bush walking etc) is Beechworth NSW- one of the oldest towns in Victoria. i think when you have grown up surrounded by history (i lived a few kms away from a castle growing up and that's where we had picnics, teenage drinking and then took my child to play) it's almost as if you need it. We are talking here something built in 1130- not 1930. It gives you a sense of time, place, amazement, belonging, inspiration- it puts your little life in perspective too. I guess some people dont' care about this and that's fine too- not everyone needs it. But knowing that you are a part of a long line of people in that place is amazing. It's not Australia's fault that it's still young. I love it's old buildings and early settler history, it's very interesting. But, i'm not part of it. However, eating my sandwiches sitting on a wall where Anne Boleyn was kept prisoner and where she looked out across the estuary as I am, eating my sandwiches- that's history.

I love those Australian bush/country towns too, with their courthouse/police station, bank, pub, post office. Not sure if I've been to Beechworth? Is that 'Kelly Country?' I've not been to Ballarat or Bendigo either. The one thing I've not got used to in Sydney, and I imagine it's the same in Melbourne, is having to negotiate this huge urban sprawl to get out of the city. I drove to Windsor the other week and it was 60 kilometers from Surry Hills. It's further than Southampton to Bournemouth, and if I do that trip, I get to cross The New Forest.

What I have always missed is chatting to people I have known forever Nothing like old friends From your own backyard

That's very true, but one thing I noticed from going back to England after a few years, is that I'd grown apart from many of my old friends. Part of me envied the way that they hadn't uprooted their lives, but it also meant that I now had something that set me apart from them, the experience of living in another country. Some of them are far more experienced in travelling to other countries than me too, but, though they hate the word 'tourist', that is what they are.

I miss a good pint

I'm actually outraged when I see people drinking pints here. It's supposed to be schooners or middies, though I've got a feeling that. as a middie is half a pint, pints probably were the go originally, if 'middie' means 'middle/half' that is?

To be fair, there are loads of craft breweries shooting up all over Australia, so much so that the big brewers are buying them up, so we are really drinking VB or Tooheys New!

I'm actually outraged when I see people drinking pints here. It's supposed to be schooners or middies, though I've got a feeling that. as a middie is half a pint, pints probably were the go originally, if 'middie' means 'middle/half' that is?

To be fair, there are loads of craft breweries shooting up all over Australia, so much so that the big brewers are buying them up, so we are really drinking VB or Tooheys New!

Really? WTF?!

@Marisawright do you not think there are more interesting and cheaper places to visit from Australia compared to the UK? I'm looking forward to having South East Asia and the South Pacific Islands on my doorstep (pretty much) and when looking on SkyScanner.net I;ve found the flights to be dirt cheap...?

I guess it depends what interests you. For me, one beach resort is pretty much like another! Because we enjoy rambling and history, there are so many interesting places in the UK before we even have to get on a plane. The range of different places you can reach for a weekend is far greater in Britain and Europe.

Got to say I missed just about everything,missed everyone for many years but now would I go bank. Not a chance

That is my experience, too. If my parents were still alive, or if my brothers were still living in the UK, I'd either be living there myself, or making frequent trips back, but with no family there, I'm reduced to the status of a tourist. Conversely, if I was still living in the UK, I'd be coming out to Sydney to see my brother, knowing there'd be someone to pick me up at the airport, and a 'home from 'home' to stay in.

I guess it depends what interests you. For me, one beach resort is pretty much like another! Because we enjoy rambling and history, there are so many interesting places in the UK before we even have to get on a plane. The range of different places you can reach for a weekend is far greater in Britain and Europe.

You could make the same charge about beach resorts anywhere in the world, and the same about skiing resorts, and many people like going to the same one every year, whether Bournemouth, Blackpool, Bude, Byron or Bondi. I met a bloke in a hotel in Bude, who'd been going to the same hotel, same room I think, for 25 years. He'd been through three or four different owners.

Someone coming out to Australia for the first time, could probably spend a few years going to the different Pacific islands for their holidays, New Caledonia, Fiji, Samoa, Vanuatu, Norfolk Island, Lord Howe Island, Tahiti, Hawaii, Cook Islands, New Zealand, and then the various places in S. E. Asia. Hotels and beaches are much the same, but the people are different.

I like history too, but I've never found that history gets more interesting, the further back in time I go, and that countries with 'less' history - Australia, NZ, Canada, the USA, for instance, are boring compared to places with history stretching back 1000's of years.

I'm as excited thinking about doing a 'Beatles Tour' of Britain and Germany, and seeing the places where my father fought in WW2, as I am about seeing Ancient Rome. I could combine them all, particularly seeing where my father fought in Italy around Monte Cassino.

Bisto gravy granules and decent sausages.

My mum used to post me some Bisto (and it did get cleared through customs to my surprise) and I did eventually find a little butchers shop in Tea Tree Plaza that sold 'real English sausages'. Aussie snags just didn't taste right.

Bisto gravy granules and decent sausages.

My mum used to post me some Bisto (and it did get cleared through customs to my surprise) and I did eventually find a little butchers shop in Tea Tree Plaza that sold 'real English sausages'. Aussie snags just didn't taste right.

One of my Aussie mates made me laugh when he said, 'the reason you hate our sausages, is because we put too much meat in them!'

I could never understand what it was about Aussie sausages, that made them taste so AWFUL!? But a couple of years ago, I was in one of my locals - Trinity Bar at Crown and Devonshire Sts, Surry Hills - and the landlord, suggested I try the sausages. 'Yuk, I hate Aussie sausages', I replied. 'You'll like these ones Dave. We get them from 'The Irish Butcher.' He was right too. Pity they are not on the menu any more.

I moved back to the UK three weeks ago and the main things I missed were:

- English sense of humour, there's a reason I never saw an Australian made comedy series/show on TV it was all British or American.

- Places to go in Britain and the proximity to Europe and even North Africa and America are as close as Bali is to SE Australia.

- The Underground, I will never complain again after being restricted to buses and trams.

- Summer evenings being light until 9.30pm.

- Decent supermarkets (a couple of days after I got back I went to M&S and couldn't believe how cheap it was, imagine if I'd gone to Morrisons)

- Decent TV

- Live football being shown before 2am

Australia is nice and is largely very similar to the UK. The main plus was the weather, however the difference between London and Melbourne is marginal and certianly wasn't sigifiant enough to keep me 10,000 miles away from home.

Archived