Best area for experiencing the barrier reef?

fingers456

Hi, we're looking to take the family to see / experience the GBR, in the holidays at the end of Sep/ early Oct. We're in Sydney. We're not likely to do it more than once, so we're looking for help in choosing a good place where we can all have fun - boys aged 3, 6, 10 and 13, so we're hoping the 2 older ones can snorkel esaily, the 6 yr old can try it and the 3 yr old can just splash about in a life jacket.

We are looking to stay about 4 or 5 nights, but won't be on the reef every day, so we need something else to do too.

We have heard Port Douglas is nice, with Daintree NP nearby, but perhaps not enough to do to keep the kids busy?

Cairns might be an option but what's it like to stay there?

Airlie Beach / Whitsundays are an option but have hear dthey are really expensive.

Can anyone help?

Also, does anyone have any tips, advice or just plain knowledge about how to go about seeing the reef, etc? Are boat trips easy to book on the day or do we have to book in advance? Are stinger suits essential, or can we risk it seeing as it's not really stinger season? Who's the best carrier to fly with? That sport of thing.

Ta!

We usually stay at Palm Cove, which is the farthest of the northern beaches (we use the normal public bus to get into Cairns and other local attractions) , we have been to the reef several times, you get picked up from the hotels as part of the boat trip out to the reef (extra charge depending on pick-up location) really any of the companies which run tours out to the reef are OK (we have used three) and they can be from Cairns or Port Douglas, I would recommend being nearer Cairns for the greater options of things to do, and you will find more affordable accommodation.

Whilst on the reef I would recommend a snorkeling tour (also recommend use of the floatation vest, as it can get tiring), the last one we did the tide was just right for us to swim back over the reef to the pontoon instead of the boat pick-up, saw a lot more of the reef like you see in films and photo's.

Enjoy the trip, its worth it.

We stayed at the Big 4 Airlie beach for a few days earlier this year and took day trips one being to the Reef where the kids snorkelled and dived (Big 4 can book them for you at a discount and your collected from there so dont need to hire transport). We loved where we stayed,lovely cabins and great amenities. Loved the day trips and enjoyed the reef and the journey over, but the weather was rubbish and rained loads which did take some of the fun away,lol.

Here is the link for the Big 4, its owned by a pommy family too,so lots of familiar accents,lol - http://www.adventurewhitsunday.com.au/

We did this trip and it was good, crossing a bit rough as weather bad on return trip. - http://www.cruisewhitsundays.com/gbra.aspx

Cal x

We usually stay at Palm Cove, which is the farthest of the northern beaches (we use the normal public bus to get into Cairns and other local attractions) , we have been to the reef several times, you get picked up from the hotels as part of the boat trip out to the reef (extra charge depending on pick-up location) really any of the companies which run tours out to the reef are OK (we have used three) and they can be from Cairns or Port Douglas, I would recommend being nearer Cairns for the greater options of things to do, and you will find more affordable accommodation.

Whilst on the reef I would recommend a snorkeling tour (also recommend use of the floatation vest, as it can get tiring), the last one we did the tide was just right for us to swim back over the reef to the pontoon instead of the boat pick-up, saw a lot more of the reef like you see in films and photo's.

Enjoy the trip, its worth it.

+ 1

Palm Cove is a wonderful place. Beautiful beach wonderful hotels, v close to Cairns Airport and just under a one hour (beautiful) drive to Port Douglas. Highly recommend Palm Cove.

We booked a reef tour in advance - poor weather & didn't see much. Very expensive for 4. lots of people being sick on the boat! I'd advise booking once u can be sure of weather forecast - tours vary in price too, so shop around. It's a bit hit and miss - we've been on two reef tours now and were just unlucky with the weather and conditions but if these are right then I've heard it can be fantastic. May try to give it one last chance before we head home! I loved Port Douglas but pricier than Cairns.

We booked a reef tour in advance - poor weather & didn't see much. Very expensive for 4. lots of people being sick on the boat! I'd advise booking once u can be sure of weather forecast - tours vary in price too, so shop around. It's a bit hit and miss - we've been on two reef tours now and were just unlucky with the weather and conditions but if these are right then I've heard it can be fantastic. May try to give it one last chance before we head home! I loved Port Douglas but pricier than Cairns.

Sorry you had such bad luck there Chortlepuss, they do say that the best time for the calmer seas is winter, also less chance of rain. My parents went out once and got caught in a thunder storm out there, over in 10min though and back to sunshine and calm.

I would agree with you about booking once you are there on checking the weather, so long as not in high season it should not be a problem with availability especially with the number of operators in Cairns, we have done it this way the last 3 times now.

Regarding diving as mentioned by Cal, unless you are a certified diver then the value you get from just going down under the platform to feed a few fish is just not worth it, snorkeling is free, with equipment provided, or take a snorkel safari for $20-25.

Hope you have a good one next time.

Keith.

We visited the reef from Daydream Island on a full day tour, same one as calNgary. It was great, though the sea was choppy and even I felt queasy, normally have a cast-iron stomach! We went to Reefworld where we did the glass bottom boat and some snorkelling, lots of fun :)

A visit to the Whitsundays in itself is wonderful anyway - that gorgeous turquoise water, lots of fun cruises to go on, we really enjoyed both Airlie Beach and Daydream Island - the latter ostensibly has not much to do, but we felt our 5 days there was too short!

Hi, we're looking to take the family to see / experience the GBR, in the holidays at the end of Sep/ early Oct.

Cairns might be an option but what's it like to stay there?

Airlie Beach / Whitsundays are an option but have hear dthey are really expensive.

Also, does anyone have any tips, advice or just plain knowledge about how to go about seeing the reef, etc? Are boat trips easy to book on the day or do we have to book in advance? Are stinger suits essential, or can we risk it seeing as it's not really stinger season? Who's the best carrier to fly with? That sport of thing.

Ta!

Essentially the further north you go, the closer the reef gets to the mainland so the shorter the boat trip. However the further south you stay, the more variety of things to do.

I will never forget going on a "mystery flight" one year - the airlines used to offer them, you went to the airport early and they put you on a flight to a mystery destination. The destination was Cairns. We got in the taxi at the airport and said to the driver, "What is there to do in Cairns for a day" and his reply was "nothing". It's a base to travel from, not a place to visit for its own sake. Port Douglas is a bit the same, apparently. He recommended we go up to Kuranda (which was lovely) as we didn't have enough time to go to the reef.

We spent some time in Mackay, had a fascinating sugar farm tour, an amazing visit to Eumundi to see platypuses and watch the paragliders take off from the hotel garden, and a great day trip to the reef (as well as an impressive steak in Mackay itself). We found it much cheaper because it's not a well-known tourist destination.

+ 1

Palm Cove is a wonderful place. Beautiful beach wonderful hotels, v close to Cairns Airport and just under a one hour (beautiful) drive to Port Douglas. Highly recommend Palm Cove.

Took your word for it and have booked hotel in Palm Cove for September, flights booked, GBR here we come!

Essentially the further north you go, the closer the reef gets to the mainland so the shorter the boat trip. However the further south you stay, the more variety of things to do.

I will never forget going on a "mystery flight" one year - the airlines used to offer them, you went to the airport early and they put you on a flight to a mystery destination. The destination was Cairns. We got in the taxi at the airport and said to the driver, "What is there to do in Cairns for a day" and his reply was "nothing". It's a base to travel from, not a place to visit for its own sake. Port Douglas is a bit the same, apparently. He recommended we go up to Kuranda (which was lovely) as we didn't have enough time to go to the reef.

We spent some time in Mackay, had a fascinating sugar farm tour, an amazing visit to Eumundi to see platypuses and watch the paragliders take off from the hotel garden, and a great day trip to the reef (as well as an impressive steak in Mackay itself). We found it much cheaper because it's not a well-known tourist destination.

Eungella...pronounced as Yungla

Cheers, Bobj.

Eungella...pronounced as Yungla

Cheers, Bobj.

Yes that's where we saw quite a few platypus. It was one of the highlights of the drive back home to the Sunshine Coast from Cairns.

only 2 weeks to go to our Kimberley trip Bobj, can't wait!!

Yes that's where we saw quite a few platypus. It was one of the highlights of the drive back home to the Sunshine Coast from Cairns.

only 2 weeks to go to our Kimberley trip Bobj, can't wait!!

Itinerary, please. Might be able to tell you where to go...:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

The skyrail is good fun and takes quite a long time which is good. the steam railway is no so good as it goes through a cutting for a lot of it so you dont see much. if i went again i would do the cable car both ways. we did the barrier reef from cairns with a scuba dive. the day was quite enjoyable but i found the actual dive quite disappointing. it looked mostly dead and we didnt see many fish. maybe i was expecting too much but it wasnt what you see in nature programmes.

Itinerary, please. Might be able to tell you where to go...:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Unusual for us it's an APT trip. So all organised for us. The only part we are doing on our own is 2 nights in Katherine so apart from the gorge any thoughts will be appreciated. We have been to Darwin before so been to Lichfield etc.

We usually do our own thing but so many people we know have done this trip and loved it we booked it as it's a special birthday this year and my treat.

5 days overland from Broome and back, then boat from Broome to Darwin for 10 days. Will take 2 helicopter trips, 1 over the Bundle Bundles and the Murcheson Falls?

Thanks M

Sorry to high jack a barrier reef thread, but we are lucky that there are so many different areas to explore.

Unusual for us it's an APT trip. So all organised for us. The only part we are doing on our own is 2 nights in Katherine so apart from the gorge any thoughts will be appreciated. We have been to Darwin before so been to Lichfield etc.

We usually do our own thing but so many people we know have done this trip and loved it we booked it as it's a special birthday this year and my treat.

5 days overland from Broome and back, then boat from Broome to Darwin for 10 days. Will take 2 helicopter trips, 1 over the Bundle Bundles and the Murcheson Falls?

Thanks M

Sorry to high jack a barrier reef thread, but we are lucky that there are so many different areas to explore.

Apologies too, for digressing.

Now, the names are, "Bungle Bungles", aka Purnululu National Park.

The "Horizontal Falls" are out at Talbot Bay, NE of Derby.

Apart from The Katherine Gorge, (Nitmiluk) The Katherine has hot springs in the town and the Low-Level Reserve.

If you hire a car while inThe Katherine, a "must see" is the Victoria River Valley and Timber Creek, about a 550 km round trip.

Enjoy:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Has anyone done the skyrail and Kanundra railway journey?

We did the skyrail both ways as we didn't have time to do the steam train. The little station and train looked adorable so I was a bit sad we didn't have time, but it would've meant less time at the top which would have been a real shame. I didn't feel we had enough time as it was. My only reservation is that once you've done that, there's not much else to do in Cairns - it's not one of the best places to go to the Reef from, I believe.

Archived