Emigrating cats

Jems30

Has anyone taken their cats over to Australia? My daughter would be truly heartbroken if we left out British Shorthaired cats. We have 2 and they are beautiful, our babies and i don't think I could leave them either :-( I just don't know if it's safe to do this with cats, would they be ok?

I just called the quarantine facility in Sydney to ask if there is air condition (there is not). I was concerned that we are moving 2 fluffy cats (ragdoll and himalayan) in December, when in Canada is around - 30 and they told me to better shave my cats???

Anybody had issues with fluffy cats migrating to Sydney at that time of the year? I guess, British shorthair cats also have thick hair, although not that long?

I do not want to shave my cats, as i think that they should not be shaved but I do not want them to suffer neither.

Not cat, but we shipped our bichon frise dog over in uk winter, Aussie heat wave. She was so pampered we couldn't shave her before hand as she would have frozen in the two days at the kennel before flying out.

It was over 40c when she got here. They have misters in the kennels to keep them cool, but they did say that she wasn't eating. :-/

We're hopefully shipping our fluffy little man (a male shorthaired cat) in December, and we've so far paid £140 (ish) for rabies blood test, and £65 for both the rabies vaccination and the microchip. Our favourite quote (Goldon Arrow, the one that we're probably going to go with) quoted us around £1300 for their 'premium service', so it'll cost us about £1500.

Probably a few more costs to factor in though.

Hope it all goes okay for you too! :)

I just called the quarantine facility in Sydney to ask if there is air condition (there is not). I was concerned that we are moving 2 fluffy cats (ragdoll and himalayan) in December, when in Canada is around - 30 and they told me to better shave my cats???

Anybody had issues with fluffy cats migrating to Sydney at that time of the year? I guess, British shorthair cats also have thick hair, although not that long?

I do not want to shave my cats, as i think that they should not be shaved but I do not want them to suffer neither.

Don't shave your cats. They will be freezing on the plane on way over if you do. The "accommodation" in Sydney is concrete and one side is open to the elements (wire mesh). And December is not that hot anyway, if there are any 40C days they will be in January or February.

Has anyone taken their cats over to Australia? My daughter would be truly heartbroken if we left out British Shorthaired cats. We have 2 and they are beautiful, our babies and i don't think I could leave them either :-( I just don't know if it's safe to do this with cats, would they be ok?

Of course it is safe, loads of people bring their cats.

We're hopefully shipping our fluffy little man (a male shorthaired cat) in December, and we've so far paid £140 (ish) for rabies blood test, and £65 for both the rabies vaccination and the microchip. Our favourite quote (Goldon Arrow, the one that we're probably going to go with) quoted us around £1300 for their 'premium service', so it'll cost us about £1500.

And this is 1 of the reasons I was unimpressed with Golden Arrow. It costs $1490 for 10 days in quarantine, plus the quarantine station also charges admin etc. That will be £1000 for just the quarantine. Golden Arrow have not given you a valid quote. You will not get a flight and premium service for £300.

And this is 1 of the reasons I was unimpressed with Golden Arrow. It costs $1490 for 10 days in quarantine, plus the quarantine station also charges admin etc. That will be £1000 for just the quarantine. Golden Arrow have not given you a valid quote. You will not get a flight and premium service for £300.

Quarantine isn't included in quotes though, not that I recall. That is a separate fee and one you pay to the quarantine station, not the pet shipper. The quote given is just for shipping the pet and the UK side of things, not the quarantine fees once in AUS.

Edited by Guest

Check but as I posted in another reply, that quote probably doesn't include quarantine charges in AUS. That is 10 days and pretty pricey but not included in the quote that I recall. Have you investigated those costs and booking etc?

Edited by Guest