School Fees

Smithy03

I'm a little confused with the school fees. We are hoping to move to Oz on a permanent visa and have 2 children aged 8 & 6. Can anyone advise us on which category we would have to pay school fees?

Thanks

457 Visa pays for school fees, PR don't. You will have to pay things like building levies etc, but not fees unless you send your children to a private school. All schools levy different fees (amounts) on parents so can't compare one primary to another but generally much of a muchness I think.

As MtT says on a PR visa you do not pat fees in state schools although most have voluntary contributions, which vary by school but a couple of 100 per annum is the norm, you also way for stationary, books etc. which for us was about $150.

Many more children go to private schools, which can be much cheaper than the UK - we paid $1000 per term.

Its not a quick way of doing things as you have to do some research, but try googling the Department of Education and Child Development for whatever state you are planning on living in. That will give you an option to look at schools in the state (or suburb you would like to live in) and generally each school has a link on their homepage which will show you how much they charge per term/year. Obviously school uniforms and stationery etc are in addition to those fees.

As a rule of thumb probably majority send their Primary School aged kids to state schools and you just have to pay the annual levy and uniform costs and for any excursions during the year. At year 7 level many send their kids to private schools and that is where the real expenses start, depending on how far up the scale you are prepared to go and also which state you are in. In Victoria some of the private schools charge like a wounded bull- $27,000 per annum is not unusual.

What these answers did not tell you was that on a 457 visa you could well be up for additional fees in NSW, ACT and WA (I think) that are beyond what everyone in the general community pays to go to state schools - they are between $5 - 10,000 per year. If you come on a PR visa they will not apply.

• 2 weeks later...
What these answers did not tell you was that on a 457 visa you could well be up for additional fees in NSW, ACT and WA (I think) that are beyond what everyone in the general community pays to go to state schools - they are between $5 - 10,000 per year. If you come on a PR visa they will not apply.

Thats right , we've been on a 457 for the last 2 years and live in Sydney. We have 3 children 17, 15 and 12 and because were on a 457 we have to pay $5500 for our eldest and $4500 each for our younger 2. This goes straight to the department for education. We also pay the individual school semester fees on top which at the moment is around $400 for each of our children . We're in the middle of applying for our PR as then we'll only have to pay the semester fees :) !!

• 3 weeks later...

Our kids went to a state primary school and we and everyone else for that matter paid for schooling.I think from memory it was something like $500 per year per child and you could either pay it in installments,or pay up front.This was in SA.No one I know had "free"schooling!(We were/are perm residents,kids are aussies)

Our kids went to a state primary school and we and everyone else for that matter paid for schooling.I think from memory it was something like $500 per year per child and you could either pay it in installments,or pay up front.This was in SA.No one I know had "free"schooling!(We were/are perm residents,kids are aussies)

Its voluntary in the state schools. They have to education your kids but I think they will probably hound you for it.

Its voluntary in the state schools. They have to education your kids but I think they will probably hound you for it.

Has it changed then?Because when my kids were at school,it definately was'nt voluntary.We all had notices given to us at the beginning of each year when payment was due,asking for prompt payments!One of my friends who was a single parent still paid,but I think was on concession type payments due to her benefits.I can also remember payments being brought up at school meetings/assemblies.

Has it changed then?Because when my kids were at school,it definately was'nt voluntary.We all had notices given to us at the beginning of each year when payment was due,asking for prompt payments!One of my friends who was a single parent still paid,but I think was on concession type payments due to her benefits.I can also remember payments being brought up at school meetings/assemblies.

They have always been voluntary - they just like to make it look as though you don't have a choice.

In all my kids school years,it was never ever mentioned that payments were voluntary.Why did the school then chase me up once when I did'nt pay the full amount,and only part paid,due to waiting for my wages.The admin lady told me I could do this but I had to pay the remainder by a certain date?

In all my kids school years,it was never ever mentioned that payments were voluntary.Why did the school then chase me up once when I did'nt pay the full amount,and only part paid,due to waiting for my wages.The admin lady told me I could do this but I had to pay the remainder by a certain date?

Hi Melza, I did some googling and I think the confusion lies in the fact education is run by the state governments and they all have their own rules. In South Australia school tuition is free but a "materials and services charge" to cover resources was made compulsory in legislation in 2001. This in effect has made school fees compulsory by stealth. Of course the minimum fee set by the government no longer covers costs and a higher fee is charged by many schools.

Oddly, the South Australian government also pays some private and religious school fees for low income earners using tax payer funds. It appears private and religious schools can enrol students knowing the government will pay some of the fees if the parent is low income (on top of the government money already paid to private and religious schools).

Overall this use of fees and taxpayer dollars must really weaken the state system and send people into private and religious schools in South Australia.

Schools are not allowed to hassle you for voluntary fees:

[h=3]Can a school make repeated requests for voluntary financial contributions?[/h] No. Requests for voluntary financial contributions are limited to the initial notice to all parents and guardians and one reminder notice. It is not acceptable to use coercion or to harass parents and guardians for any payments.

[h=3]Can my child be denied access to the standard curriculum program on the basis of me not paying these charges?[/h] No, all students must have access to the standard curriculum program. Schools all have policies that ensure students are not treated differently, denied access to the ‘standard curriculum program’, or refused instruction on the basis of payments not being made for essential education items, optional extras or voluntary financial contributions.

Principals must ensure any record of payments or contributions is confidential. The public identification of students or their parents or guardians who have or have not made a payment or contribution is unacceptable and must not occur in any circumstances.

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/school/parents/financial/pages/parentpayments.aspx

[h=1]Voluntary School Contributions[/h] Both primary and secondary schools can request contributions to enhance the school's educational and sporting programs.

These school contributions are voluntary and payment is a matter for decision by parents. They help provide additional educational resources for the benefit of students.

Schools may charge students for the purchase of materials used in particular subjects. Parents who cannot pay for elective subjects because of financial hardship may be eligible for assistance from the Student Assistance Scheme or other appropriate sources.

Principals will ensure that no student or family suffers any discrimination or embarrassment over Voluntary School Contributions.

http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/gotoschool/a-z/contributions.php

Archived