For those thinking of moving back to the UK

stokie33

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We try and get a couple of weeks a year in the UK, (to be fair for what it costs for a week in Fiji you can get a flight for a couple of weeks to the UK) just to remind us why we moved. Sitting on the M62, and then the M6 to try and get down to see my Mother after seeing the inlaws usually gets us scurrying for a taxi back to Terminal 1 Manchester

Solution would be to go and visit a nice part of England then.

0.3%

Dont move to Australia in the current economic climate....there are no good local jobs and its 40% casual employment which is how they get away with the low (ish) unemployment rate. Ok i'm generalising & there will always be the lucky folk. I have always had work but I don't call all the travelling I do life style improvement. I would definitely give it more thought knowing what I know now.

Yes the sun still shines and they have great beaches.....just watch out for sharks - yikes ! :frown:

Dont move to Australia in the current economic climate....there are no good local jobs and its 40% casual employment which is how they get away with the low (ish) unemployment rate. Ok i'm generalising & there will always be the lucky folk. I have always had work but I don't call all the travelling I do life style improvement. I would definitely give it more thought knowing what I know now.

Yes the sun still shines and they have great beaches.....just watch out for sharks - yikes ! :frown:

Pretty much explains the picture.

We landed along with 2 Pakistan Airlines flights last year, that was an eye opener in border control

I do have to laugh at the irony of these sort of posts, How is Australia now you have left your home country ? ;-)

DONT GO BACK !!! BE WARNED (The UK is suffering a severe slump).

Can you explain this as i live and work here and can tell you now we are not suffering a severe slump? Or perhaps that is wishful thinking on your behalf?

I think everyone has/had different experiences from life back in the UK, and the 'slump' is relative to those individual circumstances. I for one, have experienced the negative effect of the recession in the UK, however I have known others who have benefited from their return to the UK.

Its only black and white when judged against your own individual circumstances.

I work on a casual basis here. It is well paid but quite precarious and I'm over it now. As I am part time I try to get to the gym during the week. I have noticed a huge increase in numbers in the last few months - young people of working age, v few who look like retirees. Most youngsters I know here work on casual contracts, when they are lucky to get shifts. My friend owns a cafe - she told me that business has slowed way down as people just don't have spare cash at the moment. Not the picture I saw in SE UK when I was there last year. It really feels that Oz is starting to slump , there is an air of denial here that I saw pre 2007 slump in UK.

How do you mean? Just curious.:wink:

The arrivals area was a wash with black veils, and no that is not racist before anyone gets on their soap box it was an observation, and we got tutted at for being allowed to go through as we were citizens of our own country. I did actually feel like I had landed in Saudi to be fair

I think it can be mainly down to one's perception.

I have lived in several places and I have to say, that even though the weather in the UK can be frustrating, it is a good place to live (depending on area)

I was privileged to live in Surrey for most of my UK time, but did live in Portsmouth for a while and some other locations down there. I was always warned how rubbish Portsmouth was, but I had a great time and Southsea was brilliant.

Spain is a beautiful place as a whole, I come from the Islands, there are no jobs, it's really shocking how it is and how the government are managing people with pensions, far worse than the UK. But it is still a great place if you have work/money.

I've also had the pleasure of living in Cancun, it was a splendid place, but as soon as you go out of the "norm" poverty really strikes you. However, one of the happiest places I have been to.

It just all depends on people's perceptions and circumstances and who you are with.

Where would I live? No idea.

Like I say, England in my view, if you are in an ok area and family/friends around you, it's a great place. Yes TAX sucks, a lot of 1 d 1 0 t s and so on, but generally it is good.

Make of this what you will, but really does depend on the individual.

Whatever route you choose, good luck. Try to be positive, if it doesn't work, move onto the next thing.

Good luck :)

The arrivals area was a wash with black veils, and no that is not racist before anyone gets on their soap box it was an observation, and we got tutted at for being allowed to go through as we were citizens of our own country. I did actually feel like I had landed in Saudi to be fair

Aren't people allowed to visit family/friends or the country...? How would you feel then if you land in Australia and 2 plane loads of Indonesian people arrive at the same time..?!

Guest The Pom Queen
We also lived on the GO for a yr, it was my dream, we came back to UK only to find out after two months it was a huge mistake, we are lucky enough to be able to go back.... We leave in a matter of weeks.

Didn't realise you were heading back, good luck with everything

Guest The Pom Queen
Aren't people allowed to visit family/friends or the country...? How would you feel then if you land in Australia and 2 plane loads of Indonesian people arrive at the same time..?!

We get that with the Japanese and Chinese tourists up here they come by the plane load and I love it that they choose Cairns, my home, as their holiday destination.

Guest The Pom Queen
I was certainly well set-up here before we left Australia, got to England and it hit me like a brick. I love Australia, wouldn't want to live anywhere else now.

To be honest it seems that you are trying to convince yourself you did the right thing and if you post it often enough you will start to believe it.

I would feel ok as long as i didn't get tutted at for being allowed to go through because i am a born and bred citizen, and the lad it the shop we went into in arrivals wasn't asked to take his cap off!!!!

I would feel ok as long as i didn't get tutted at for being allowed to go through because i am a born and bred citizen, and the lad it the shop we went into in arrivals wasn't asked to take his cap off!!!!

Toughen up princess..!!! And learn how to write..

Toughen up princess..!!!

Why am I required to toughen up prey tell?

Why do I have to learn how to write? are you a Teacher offering me lessons in the written language??

Oh and by the way isn't Princess with a capital??

Now if I was scared of this situation then yes you could make that statement but as i wasn't.

And please if you wish to call me names, something a bit better than Princess please!!

Now please allow me to finish my bowl of cement

Archived