For those thinking of moving back to the UK

stokie33

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep its a wonderful country alright. Love the people too. (That's enough flattery now, the cheques in the post - Australian tourist board!)

I have read a lot of your posts and know your situation and your personal views on UK and Aus but find it a bit strange that your 'advice' to everyone is always to stay in Australia regardless of the issues they have and their own circumstances. Advice of any kind is only useful if there is some objectivity.

Interesting point stokie33. I have been back nearly 2.5yrs (after a very short permanent visa stay) but I have just decided to have a nosey at this forum! I was a bit bored and thought I'd have a look at the mailbox and this recent post. I have let Australia go but I did enjoy many elements of my stay there - just not enough in our case. It is so different for everyone. The most successful stories I have heard are from people who already know someone there OR with young school age children as it is so child friendly. I, like us all, spent a lot of time and money investing in a change to our life, and had great hopes for the future. To come back to the UK, means creating new hopes but we are happy we are back.

We also lived on the GO for a yr, it was my dream, we came back to UK only to find out after two months it was a huge mistake, we are lucky enough to be able to go back.... We leave in a matter of weeks.

We also lived on the GO for a yr, it was my dream, we came back to UK only to find out after two months it was a huge mistake, we are lucky enough to be able to go back.... We leave in a matter of weeks.

why did you come back?

I love big trees, nice big gummy ones on a nice big plot in an oasis of a backyard with space for the BBQ and mates to come around for beers. You can substitute that for a horrible cobbled backyard in a rundown terrace in Harrogate but its just not the same

We try and get a couple of weeks a year in the UK, (to be fair for what it costs for a week in Fiji you can get a flight for a couple of weeks to the UK) just to remind us why we moved. Sitting on the M62, and then the M6 to try and get down to see my Mother after seeing the inlaws usually gets us scurrying for a taxi back to Terminal 1 Manchester

I love big trees, nice big gummy ones on a nice big plot in an oasis of a backyard with space for the BBQ and mates to come around for beers. You can substitute that for a horrible cobbled backyard in a rundown terrace in Harrogate but its just not the same

But it's not an either/or choice of course. Plenty of big, beautiful oak trees in the UK and crappy little yards in Oz. You just have to choose your house and your area well in either country. I love my small garden with mango tree here in Brisbane and I loved my large garden with apple tree in the UK - guess I chose well!

Hi all,

Just want to share my opinion, even though I haven't moved to Oz yet.

People tend to look at others so often, whether it's for making decisions or not, many don't trust their own instinct anymore.

I am reading this post too, but deep down I know I won't let me guide here. It's more out of curiosity.

I learned to go with my gut, feelings that come from deep down.

Those feelings tell me I want to live in Oz for the weather, the lifestyle, nature & wildlife, etc, for this period of my life.

Nobody knows what he/she will want in 5, 10 or 20 years. We change, our interests change, accept it and act accordingly.

You might be thinking, that's easy, you haven't even moved to Oz yet. And that's true.

Right, well, lets talk in a few years then... What can I say?

I will have had time to build my new life to the fullest as I am dreaming it now. If at some point I start missing things like family too much, it might be a sign to come back.

If negative feelings supersede the positive ones, then you are maybe in the wrong place, or there could be other things going wrong in your life that influence your decision.

Either way, YOU should investigate where those feelings come from.

I honestly believe that when you live your life truly from within, there are no wrong moves.

There is no harm in having doubt, as long as you follow your own path.

Stop seeing it as a "mistake" to emigrate, or move back, it's the path of life, embrace it.

If you already think you might regret the move back to Europe, then stay right where you are, because you probably will.

I'm taking my flight soon, with open heart and no regrets, towards the life I believe suits me best.

And if I'd have to come back because I don't feel happy (after a thorough evaluation), then I will....

Hope this can help some of you out!

Take care

Chris

thanks for sharing .

Guest Guest66881
Supply and Demand still wouldn't draw me back though

Me either, the wife just got back and said it is worse now than when we left four years ago almost.

Archived