Any computer people..?

Guest51810

I haven't a clue about computers really but I've saw this one... Anybody know if it's any good? All the memory type details are just mumble jumble to me lol. All I'll use it is for the usual websites and my coursework. That's about it. I don't use it for games or anything like some guys do

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-touchsmart-11-e030sa-11-6-touchscreen-laptop-21449719-pdt.html

I haven't a clue about computers really but I've saw this one... Anybody know if it's any good? All the memory type details are just mumble jumble to me lol. All I'll use it is for the usual websites and my coursework. That's about it. I don't use it for games or anything like some guys do

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-touchsmart-11-e030sa-11-6-touchscreen-laptop-21449719-pdt.html

Probably okay for general use, I mean for that price with touch screen, HDMI, USB 3 and WIFI N it cant be that bad! CPU is Probably the weakest bit, but I'm just being picky now

I'll have to get a computers for dummies book to find out what HDMI and CPU are lol. Right now my main aim is just to get one that doesn't die every few minutes and make me want to have a bitch fit! I really don't want to spend the money but I have to if I'm going to continue the college course. I thought about getting a second hand one but tbh they aren't even that much cheaper and I'm worried they break quicker

I'll have to get a computers for dummies book to find out what HDMI and CPU are lol. Right now my main aim is just to get one that doesn't die every few minutes and make me want to have a bitch fit! I really don't want to spend the money but I have to if I'm going to continue the college course. I thought about getting a second hand one but tbh they aren't even that much cheaper and I'm worried they break quicker

if its for Surfing and basic college work , then i would go for a Chrome book! Six hour battery life, come with google docs ( google version of word, excel and power point )and you never have to buy any software again, and it loads up in 7 seconds!

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/chromebooks/hp-chromebook-11-1126uk-wifi-white-21947676-pdt.html

might be suitable , but depends on the type of work you are completing.....if your doing 5000 word dissertation then a Windows computer will be more suitable

@pablo I'm going to start calling you one of the guys from the IT crowd.

Thanks Martin, I actually quickly looked at at chromebook very quickly before but it didn't look like that one. Is there a reason why it's so cheap? The thing I've got the now is one of those netbook/notebook thingies. It's small and I find it hard to see some things like yahoo mail, it doesn't seem to load properly. Won't be doing a dissertation anytime soon! It's just college work atm so it's just normal assignments. I imagine IF I go to uni then by dissertation stage I'd have a new computer anyway

Thanks Martin, I actually quickly looked at at chromebook very quickly before but it didn't look like that one. Is there a reason why it's so cheap? The thing I've got the now is one of those netbook/notebook thingies. It's small and I find it hard to see some things like yahoo mail, it doesn't seem to load properly. Won't be doing a dissertation anytime soon! It's just college work atm so it's just normal assignments. I imagine IF I go to uni then by dissertation stage I'd have a new computer anyway

I'm sorry,but i cant talk to dirty stop out's,Gnite!....

I have ditched my iPad and Windows computers for a chrome Book, they are cheap , very quick to load, very slim and easy to carry , easy to maintain, all the basic software you need (Gmail account required, its free!). Honestly i love them they are so simple, and i work for the government in an environment dominated by Windows and Linux devices...a chrome book makes life so simple.

over time a windows laptop will slow down as it becomes bloated with Spyware, adware , virus, malware and software ..a chrome book does't suffer from these issues!

I have ditched my iPad and Windows computers for a chrome Book, they are cheap , very quick to load, very slim and easy to carry , easy to maintain, all the basic software you need (Gmail account required, its free!). Honestly i love them they are so simple, and i work for the government in an environment dominated by Windows and Linux devices...a chrome book makes life so simple.

over time a windows laptop will slow down as it becomes bloated with Spyware, adware , virus, malware and software ..a chrome book does't suffer from these issues!

I think you've almost sold me it lol plus the price looks good. I'll have another proper look at it tomorrow once I have more concentration. Plus I need to find a company who will send to the Channel Islands! Don't think they all do that

Even what you posted first would be fine scottishstacey. It's better than the PC I have at work... Which, by the way, I work for a global IT company... hmmm and for us to be using 11+ year old tech for day to day work in a business like this is embarrassing. If you go for either the chrome book or the hp one you posted first, you won't have any problems doing what you need. (From someone who gets paid to ask "have you tried turning it off and on again?") ;)

Even what you posted first would be fine scottishstacey. It's better than the PC I have at work... Which, by the way, I work for a global IT company... hmmm and for us to be using 11+ year old tech for day to day work in a business like this is embarrassing. If you go for either the chrome book or the hp one you posted first, you won't have any problems doing what you need. (From someone who gets paid to ask "have you tried turning it off and on again?") ;)

Thanks! I'm going to think about it for a week and look into other ones more. I did think about just buying a new battery but I'm not 100% sure it's even that plus I just hate the computer in general!

The chromebook looks interesting. It's what microsoft and apple have been afraid of for years.

The laptop you are looking at would be fine for what you need Stacey. Any of the new ones would be OK, even one cheaper than that. Dell do a good range of laptops and they are pretty reliable.

Not a big fan of windows 8, though it's made for touch screens, so if you really want the touch screen option I guess you'll have to go with windows 8. I much prefer a "standard" laptop with windows 7.

HDMI connects to your monitor and can be used to connect the laptop to a TV and get high definition display. You could do that anyway with the older type DVI and VGA connectors. Newer laptops will mostly have the HDMI option now.

You're right not to bother with second hand machines, new ones are well priced and there isn't much profit for the makers. There are a lot of them being made every day and they have to keep sales up somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

hey Stacey, if the only problem with your current computer is that it cuts out when on battery, you could just get a fresh one.

less than £100?

could be an option?

if you buy the it through a small independent computer shop they can test it for you there, that way you will know if it is the battery (which it most likely is) so you don't have to spend the money if it isn't the problem. :)

edited as i wrote the word battery so many times i was sick in my mouth! ;)

hey Stacey, if the only problem with your current computer is that it cuts out when on battery, you could just get a fresh one.

less than £100?

could be an option?

if you buy the it through a small independent computer shop they can test it for you there, that way you will know if it is the battery (which it most likely is) so you don't have to spend the money if it isn't the problem. :)

edited as i wrote the word battery so many times i was sick in my mouth! ;)

Tbh my computer is that crap it makes me worth wether 60 - 100 is even worth it when I could get a decent enough one for 300 but right now I don't want to spend loads of money so I might just need to get a new battery if that's what's wrong with it. The screen is so small that some sites don't seem to load properly, was Dave's old computer that he gave me when he got a new one

I'm still undecided about this chrome book. I really need to buy a laptop asap, I keep putting it off because of money but I'm paying £60 a month for my college course and pretty much unable to do it so I'll just need to pay it. I went to the computer shop in Guernsey and he had a few but I think they were mostly second hand for the cheap ones plus he doesn't fix computers :cry: I'm pretty sure my computers just finished so I don't think I'm going to buy a new battery/charger. My main thing is finding somewhere that will deliver to herm, argos say you have to arrange a courier. I'm pretty sure PC world will be the same. The chromebook price really appeals to me.. But im not sure if I should just go for a normal laptop.

I'm still undecided about this chrome book. I really need to buy a laptop asap, I keep putting it off because of money but I'm paying £60 a month for my college course and pretty much unable to do it so I'll just need to pay it. I went to the computer shop in Guernsey and he had a few but I think they were mostly second hand for the cheap ones plus he doesn't fix computers :cry: I'm pretty sure my computers just finished so I don't think I'm going to buy a new battery/charger. My main thing is finding somewhere that will deliver to herm, argos say you have to arrange a courier. I'm pretty sure PC world will be the same. The chromebook price really appeals to me.. But im not sure if I should just go for a normal laptop.

Can you not have it delivered to friend/family in Scotland and then get them to post it to you? It would probably be cheaper that way.

Personally I'd stick with a Windows laptop but opinion seems divided on here - for what you want it for either would be fine.

Tbh I think price wise it would probably work out the same. It cost me £7 just to send a really small teddy bear to Kate, Royal Mail are a rip off lol. Someone from here got a mattress couriered to here from UK and it was £20 so that's not too bad if it was the same for laptop.

I just don't know which one to go with, I'm absolutely clueless with computers. I just want one that's Stacey proof :laugh: and that will be easy to do my coursework on. I don't bother with games or even music

Tbh I think price wise it would probably work out the same. It cost me £7 just to send a really small teddy bear to Kate, Royal Mail are a rip off lol. Someone from here got a mattress couriered to here from UK and it was £20 so that's not too bad if it was the same for laptop.

I just don't know which one to go with, I'm absolutely clueless with computers. I just want one that's Stacey proof :laugh: and that will be easy to do my coursework on. I don't bother with games or even music

If you are familiar with a windows laptop I would follow Lady r's advice and go with that. I'm not a big fan of windows 8 and much prefer windows 7. I think suppliers will still put that on most laptops if you ask for it. There's a Dell inspiron laptop with a 17 inch screen that looks a decent buy Stacey. Don't know about delivery though.

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-17-3721/pd?oc=cn37104&model_id=inspiron-17-3721

I never thought I'd say this but I love my Windows 8 laptop. Once you update it to Windows 8.1 and combine it with a touch screen, it's really pretty good and I don't miss Windows 7 at all. I've been using mine for months and wouldn't go back to 7 now that I have it set up the way I like it. You could always look at the laptop/tablet hybrids like the Surface Pro to get you over the line. They're easy to dock and connect up to a full-sized monitor and as portable as an iPad.

Make sure it's Windows 8.1 and not Windows 8. That fixes a lot of the poor feedback and user frustrations. You'd need a touchscreen laptop, if you don't get a touchscreen stick to Windows 7.

Chromebooks are great, but best if permanently connected to the internet. They rely on a connection to synch information, that's why they're so nimble and cheap.

If you're doing a lot of offline working, stick to a conventional laptop.

Archived