Employer reference without getting fired!?!

Jammyllama

Hello all!!

My immi lawyer has said I need to obtain a ref for 3 out of the last 5 years from my employer on our company's stationary. However, if my company knew I was considering this move they would surely fire me or ask me to resign... I don't want to do that as I plan to be in UK and at work for at least another 6 months. Plus I doubt they'd give me ref as they want to keep me!!

Has anyone else come across this situation? If so, how do you deal with it?

Thanks,

Jen

(Going for a regional sponsorship visa - 190 visa - completing VETASSES at the moment)

Hello all!!

My immi lawyer has said I need to obtain a ref for 3 out of the last 5 years from my employer on our company's stationary. However, if my company knew I was considering this move they would surely fire me or ask me to resign... I don't want to do that as I plan to be in UK and at work for at least another 6 months. Plus I doubt they'd give me ref as they want to keep me!!

Has anyone else come across this situation? If so, how do you deal with it?

Thanks,

Jen

(Going for a regional sponsorship visa - 190 visa - completing VETASSES at the moment)

They cannot legally fire you without good cause, Employment Law will not allow them to do that. if they attempt it, then take legal action and take them to tribunal, any lawyer or Citizen Advice Bureau will be able to help.

I lied to my employer, told them I needed a letter confirming my employment for a distance learning degree course I was going to, if you don't want them to know you could use umpteen reasons. Could say its for your bank, mortgage provider or even for a visit visa for australia.

I know my employer wouldn't give me the letter if I gave them the real reason.

I lied to my employer, told them I needed a letter confirming my employment for a distance learning degree course I was going to, if you don't want them to know you could use umpteen reasons. Could say its for your bank, mortgage provider or even for a visit visa for australia.

I know my employer wouldn't give me the letter if I gave them the real reason.

Hi CaptainR - That is an interesting idea. OK I imagine for legal reasons they wouldn't fire me, but they're also not going to be keen on helping me leave. They could mike things difficult for me and give me my notice, which I really don't want. I am working on a project that is as important to me as them and I don't want to mess that up. I will also see what the MA says about other possible ways to confirm my employment history.

Thanks,

Jen

Hi, I was in the same situation, didn't want my employer to know my plans until everything was concrete. If this is for Vetassess I just did a statutory declaration for the whole 10 years I have been with the company. I had no problems and got a positive outcome. Good luck

Guest guest30085

Just do a statutory declaration, back it up with payslips/P60 and your offer of employment letter or job contract if you have them. Your migration agent should be able to provide you with this advice. Best of luck with your application, and be prepared for Vetassess running past their quoted 12 weeks turnaround time, certainly if applying under a professional occupation, mine took 17 weeks.