Things to do in Brisbane, please help.

crackerjack

Hi all, I posted this on chewing the fat and got no replies so I thought I'd try here next.

in three weeks I'm flying over to Brisbane to visit my children, aged 14 and 18. I've booked a BandB for me and my daughter, about 45 mins outside the city. My son I will probably see just a few times as he works and doing his own thing, so the focus here is on my daughter. This is a trip on a very tight budget. I'm only gong to be there for seven days. Can folks please suggest things I can do with a 14 year old girl that won't break the bank, cheap eateries, places to go, etc. all suggestions will be greatly appreciated! If I leave it to her to plan the itinerary I'll be bankrupt by the time I get home!

Thanks in advance - See more at: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/chewing-fat/213296-trip-brisbane-visiting-children-please-help.html#sthash.PtcHtP2L.dpuf

The park tickets are $80 which will get you into the 3 parks h and you can use them over the your time here, you can take your food in so 3 parks are wet n wild, movie world and sea world. Also have a look at groupon vouchers you might find something there and it's paid before hand.

I hope this helps

The park tickets are $80 which will get you into the 3 parks h and you can use them over the your time here, you can take your food in so 3 parks are wet n wild, movie world and sea world. Also have a look at groupon vouchers you might find something there and it's paid before hand.

I hope this helps

Thanks googoo. I think my daughter said something about having tickets already, so if its only for me, that will work out very reasonable. How's the cost of food in general? Such as if I was putting together a picnic for two or eating out? I just want to make sure I bring enough. Thanks

I hope you have a lovely time with your son and daughter Crackerjack, I remember how difficult it was for you. Could your ex not help you out a little? Lend you a car etc? Perhaps your daughter has a surfboard and you can spend some time on the beach?

With a young girl Id advise you to avoid any kind of large shopping centre... I am sure there was a website I came across that had free things to do in Brisbane...

Packed lunches will help you keep costs down. Beaches are great, cheap places to hang out. I guess the only thing is it will be mid-Winter and it may not be beach weather. The Koala Sanctuary in Brisbane is not too expensive, cinemas are reasonably priced.

There is a very good quality night food market called 'Eat Street Markets' at Hamilton Portside where you can eat for 8-10 dollars each and have good quality food. It's a nice friendly atmosphere and there are other stalls to look at, but not so many that you could get carried away. It's 2 dollars entry. The surf clubs near all the main beaches up and down the Gold and Sunshine coasts offer great value good quality meals also.

Beaches would be my main tip.m :-)

Good luck

Hi here's a few ideas.

Daisy hill koala sanctuary ( free)

coochimudlo island in redland bay ( few dollars for a ferry ride across. Think it's under $5.)great place to spend half a day on the island.

Day at southbank parklands. You get get on and off the city cat as well as visit different locations along the river and city. Cheap tickets.

A day trip to tamborine mountain or springbrook mountain. ( free , just petrol) . Their is rainforest walks , skywalks , and some great viewing platforms , especially at springbrook. Great photo location. Advise just take a picnic. Lots of picnic spots.

Day trip to surfers paradise.(free except petrol again) lots to view and see around surfers. I'd take a drive to tweed heads too. See some of the best point break surf locations in the world.

Glass house mountains and Maleny area. ( free except petrol again) some great locations and nature walks ect .

Their is loads to do that basically all you will pay is petrol money and money for picnic or packed lunch ect. Aldi cheap picnic supplies. Remember lots of free BBQ areas too around places. A BBQ at night by the water is always great.Good luck and enjoy

Second re: Coochiemudlo - just jump on the car ferry as a passenger if u want it any cheaper. City cat ferries in general are great fun. Get a go card, hop on at Uni of QLD - hop off at New Farm for picnic in park then back on ferry - always fun!

Hi guys, thanks so much for the good wishes and moneysaving tips. They were all greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll put many of them to good use. I'll definitely update you all when I get home. Just to say I won't have a car. I can't ask my ex if I can borrow one, that's sadly not the relationship we have. And hire costs are prohibitive, so it will be public transport all the way. Getting excited now. :wink:

Hi guys, thanks so much for the good wishes and moneysaving tips. They were all greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll put many of them to good use. I'll definitely update you all when I get home. Just to say I won't have a car. I can't ask my ex if I can borrow one, that's sadly not the relationship we have. And hire costs are prohibitive, so it will be public transport all the way. Getting excited now. :wink:

if you have no car and have to rely on public transport it might be better if you can let us know the general area of your b&b so we could target things to that area ?

Just in case you did fancy a hire car there's http://www.abel.com.au/ - never used them but they seem cheap at $36 p.d.

Without one some of the trips mentioned here would be tricky (even the Gold Coast would go from a 1 hour trip each way to 2.5 and the train fare wouldn't be much less than $36, maybe more). Fuel is one thing that's cheap here.

Check out Groupon - they sometimes have good deals. I recently got a $40 entry for 2 people at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, which included 2x $5 food vouchers, and 2x $5 gift shop vouchers (which are valid when you spend $20 in one go...) for free. So yeah, $40 for us to go in and $20 of savings once inside - can't complain. Never know what you will find on Groupon!!

Check out Groupon - they sometimes have good deals. I recently got a $40 entry for 2 people at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, which included 2x $5 food vouchers, and 2x $5 gift shop vouchers (which are valid when you spend $20 in one go...) for free. So yeah, $40 for us to go in and $20 of savings once inside - can't complain. Never know what you will find on Groupon!!

And Scoopon, all kinds of good dinner options on there at the moment. Aqua Linea in teneriffe definitely worth a trip. Great area to visit too

Crackerjack you could hire a car from here for approx $25 a day http://www.rentabomb.com.au/Home/Bookings.aspx even if you wanted to do so for a few days. You can also pick up/drop off from Brisbane Airport. Not top of the range but reliable cars.

Normally, I can't say no to a good deal. However Rent a Bomb... the deal is too good to be true. We hired a car from Rent a Bomb on the Gold Coast once (nr Surfers Paradise). Horrible experience. We drove about 1km and took the car back, it was that bad. I opened the car door to get out when we got back to the place and the door handle fell off! That really took me by surprise. They call those cars 'bombs' for a reason. They're really old (mostly), cheap, nasty and 'ready to blow'! Avoid at all costs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived