Do UK flight bassinet seats book out?

Daeria

Baby is due end of August, and we're thinking of flying out in October. I would rather wait till we have the baby's Australian passport in hand before I buy the tickets (this will also give me more time to save money and hopefully buy tickets on a "non-stop" flight). It will also mean I can wait till I know the baby is happy and healthy before we do such a long flight.

Do bassinet seats book out, or are they still available later on?

Anyone got experience or a crystal ball?

it's wise to book the bassinet straight away, although no airline will fully give you a guarantee, but i never had issues. i booked when i booked the tickets, then rang twice in the weeks leading up to request it again. as your baby will be very little, i would imagine they would give priority but they will not commit till you are standing there in the line checking in....

On most airlines the bassinet seats are allocated by need - which means the smallest babies get them. You will have one of the smallest babies. Perhaps give a couple of airlines a ring to find out what you need to do to flag that the baby is travelling and will need a cot - this may not all be possible in an online booking. They will then guide you on how to choose the seats/ have them allocated during the online check in process or otherwise. Oh, and buy a $25 umbrella style stroller at Big W for use when you stop en route and after yours goes into the luggage. Really handy.

Thank you. I know there's sales on now, but we'd have to use a credit card to buy now, whereas we'll have the cash in a few months.

Guess I should bite the bullet and call the airlines. I just don't want them to talk me into buying tickets now if it's actually possible to do it later.

When we travelled from London to Adelaide in 2012 we found that some people had their seats rearranged as they had booked the bassinet seats even though they didnt have children (wanted the extra leg room) and were then moved at check in so people travelling with a young child could have that seat. So some airlines will be accommodating at check in but I would HIGHLY recommend that you dont leave it till check in and in fact contact the airline at the time of booking to mention that you are travelling with a young infant and could they please flag your seats as needing the bassinet spots. I think they can book the actual seats for you then but you cannot do it until the day of online check in. If you are travelling with such a young infant you will generally always be accommodated and given a bassinet seat (if they arent already booked up by other parents travelling with babies), however there is the possibility that if you chose flights that are popular only one of you will be able to sit with bubs near the bassinet and the other parent would have to sit elsewhere in the plane (in order to accommodate all families with babies most airlines will have one parent sit with the bassinet and the other parent sit elsewhere so another family can have the other bassinet instead of one family having both bassinets and someone else missing out).

Before online check in we ones got seated in these seats, no kids. Some bloke kept coming over trying to get the air stewardess to move him to the seats as he had a 'baby'. They kept saying no. Turned out his 'baby' was about four.

Good luck in getting the passport for the baby so quickly, will they let you book the baby's bassinet without a passport?

I plan on sending my hubby to Melbourne to file for the birth certificate in person so that's done in a day, then we'll pay for the faster passport service. If we're fighting against a deadline for already bought tickets I'll find this stressful and worry about it so I'd rather buy the tickets after.

I think they let me book, but won't confirm the infant till they get the passport number? It seems to be different for every airline though. I would like to fly "non-stop" which limits my airline choices, so I'll ring them next week and see what their policies are.

We can change our dates of flight within reason to get a bassinet seat, like a couple of days either side so hopefully this will be enough by the sounds of it. I know it'll cost us more, but my maths isn't that good and hey, we may save as much by not having to put it in the credit card! Haha.

Before online check in we ones got seated in these seats, no kids. Some bloke kept coming over trying to get the air stewardess to move him to the seats as he had a 'baby'. They kept saying no. Turned out his 'baby' was about four.

How bizarre! Wouldn't he have booked a separate seat for his child at that age though? I guess the extra room is good for toddlers to get down on the floor and play? Is there really that much space? I'm hoping that as the baby is going to be so small, they will sleep in the bassinet most of time, but I will take lots of spare earplugs with me to give out to my neighbours if not!

Yes, there's loads of space. I could put my legs right out and not touch anything.

I think it was just that he wanted extra space as the stewardess kept pointing out he didn't need a bassinet. We ended up with kids playing around our feet there anyway. :-/

My wife recently flew with Emirates from UK to Indonesia with our 5 month old baby, in a bassinet seat. It was very easy to organise.

We checked availability of bassinet seats before booking tickets, then as soon as tickets were booked we were able to select our seats for all segments of the flight - and of course chose the bassinet seats. There were only 4 in the whole of the economy class so I imagine there are times when they sell out but we only booked 4 weeks ahead of the flight and the price was very reasonable, as low as it ever goes really. Bassinet seats are allocated on a first come first serve basis with Emirates so once booked, it's yours.

Only passengers booking an infant ticket get to chose these seats, this would only change if all other seats had been sold and filled - or if there are no infants on the flight these would be allocated at check in to childless passengers.

There are 2 bassinets in a row of 4 seats. So, you would usually be ok to have mother and father seated together with the baby.

The airlines provide baby food and milk, but liquid restrictions don't apply so your ok to take your own as well. (Advisable).

I know you say you want a non stop flight? If you are willing to change aircraft in dubai you can get layover times as little as 45 mins, and it opens up a whole lot more options. Similar with Singapore.

Only other question I would ask is do you need one or two passports? Is the baby getting a British passport or Australian? If only one - have you thought about visas etc?

How bizarre! Wouldn't he have booked a separate seat for his child at that age though? I guess the extra room is good for toddlers to get down on the floor and play? Is there really that much space? I'm hoping that as the baby is going to be so small, they will sleep in the bassinet most of time, but I will take lots of spare earplugs with me to give out to my neighbours if not!

For a child over 2 you have to book their own seat, he was probably after the extra leg room for himself :-)

My wife recently flew with Emirates from UK to Indonesia with our 5 month old baby, in a bassinet seat. It was very easy to organise.

We checked availability of bassinet seats before booking tickets, then as soon as tickets were booked we were able to select our seats for all segments of the flight - and of course chose the bassinet seats. There were only 4 in the whole of the economy class so I imagine there are times when they sell out but we only booked 4 weeks ahead of the flight and the price was very reasonable, as low as it ever goes really. Bassinet seats are allocated on a first come first serve basis with Emirates so once booked, it's yours.

Only passengers booking an infant ticket get to chose these seats, this would only change if all other seats had been sold and filled - or if there are no infants on the flight these would be allocated at check in to childless passengers.

There are 2 bassinets in a row of 4 seats. So, you would usually be ok to have mother and father seated together with the baby.

The airlines provide baby food and milk, but liquid restrictions don't apply so your ok to take your own as well. (Advisable).

I know you say you want a non stop flight? If you are willing to change aircraft in dubai you can get layover times as little as 45 mins, and it opens up a whole lot more options. Similar with Singapore.

Only other question I would ask is do you need one or two passports? Is the baby getting a British passport or Australian? If only one - have you thought about visas etc?

I would prefer not having to change aircrafts. I find it stressful normally so can't imagine how bad I'd be trying it with a child!

We're both permanent residents so the baby will be Australian & British when it's born. One of the first photos will be for it's Australian passport! We will be applying for a British Passport as well, but haven't decided whether to do this in the UK or in Australia before we fly.

I would prefer not having to change aircrafts. I find it stressful normally so can't imagine how bad I'd be trying it with a child!

I was under the impression that no airline now used the same plane for the full journey UK to Australia, and passengers changed planes at Dubai, Singapore, KL etc.... At least that is how it has been for me the many times I have made the journey in both directions over the past 20 plus years.

I was under the impression that no airline now used the same plane for the full journey UK to Australia, and passengers changed planes at Dubai, Singapore, KL etc.... At least that is how it has been for me the many times I have made the journey in both directions over the past 20 plus years.

I was under the same impression.....even when you book and it says its non stop if you click on more information for the journey it shows that there is a stopover/plane change in certain destinations.

We're both permanent residents so the baby will be Australian & British when it's born. One of the first photos will be for it's Australian passport! We will be applying for a British Passport as well, but haven't decided whether to do this in the UK or in Australia before we fly.

In regards to the passport .... how would the child get into the UK, without a UK passport? If presented with the Australian passport immigration would expect a visa as there is no proof of them being a British citizen? You probably wouldn't get so far as the departure gate in the Australian airport.

In regards to the passport .... how would the child get into the UK, without a UK passport? If presented with the Australian passport immigration would expect a visa as there is no proof of them being a British citizen? You probably wouldn't get so far as the departure gate in the Australian airport.

Aren't Australian citizens issued with visas on arrival in the UK? Unlike travelling in the other direction, you don't need a visa in advance.

Aren't Australian citizens issued with visas on arrival in the UK? Unlike travelling in the other direction, you don't need a visa in advance.

Yup Aussies get a 6 month stamp automatically (unless there is a clue that they may be inclined to disappear! In which case they can be sent home). So if a dual citizen is just entering UK for a holiday they should be ok on an Aus passport but if they are intending to remain they could be on a sticky wicket. Best to enter on a UK passport if your entry is for long term residence

When we flew here we had a short stopover when they cleaned the plane and did the refuelling, then we got back on and continued on the final leg to Melbourne. It was a much better experience than previous flights when I'd had to change planes. I'll have to double check it's still the same, but it was only two years ago.

The baby will be Australian so will not need a visa for a shorter than 6 month stay in the UK as others have said. We will have the birth certificate with us in any event and that along with documents from both British parents will prove British citizenship of the baby.

Archived