Any tips when flying to Aus with a six month old?

Flake

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mean to snap , but I use to breast feed when mine were little , I give it up because of the looks I got . But 20 years on you would think society had modernised on the way they think about it .

Smelly nappies so what on a long flight carnt be helped , the blimming toilets can smell more from a adult , if you carnt hack the smell rub a bit of Vicks under ya nose that will sort it lol .

Flake

We flew last year with our then 3 1/2 and 18 month old. To Brisbane with a stopover in Singapore. With Singapore airlines so on the big 380. They were very good and even brought extra food when the children refused to eat the airline meals.

TBH I don't plan on doing it again anytime soon, my our 18 mnth old decided that halfway through the flight was playtime and the toys etc we bought were not as good as running up and down the stairs at the back of the plane. If it helps those with babies seemed to have a quieter flight than we did.

One thing we did take were some sachets of Calpol incase of sore ears or good forbid a cold developing mid flight.

Good luck, you will find most people are understanding.

Hi!

When we flew with our 6 month old she surprised us all and was very good! She pretty much refused to sleep in the bassinet (but would play in it and give me a break from holding her!) so slept on me and - SHOCK - I breastfed on the way up and down to help her ears...hopefully I didn't disgust anyone too much (although I have no idea why they would be looking anyway) - if your bub is bottle fed an extra feed or two is handy just for take off and landing...and take a spare top for yourself as you'll probably end up covered in all sorts! Disposable bibs were great too. I personally wouldn't do the stopover again as our kids never settle on the first night anywhere so it just drags out the sleeplessness and long journey. The staff were great and when she did cry (too tired) they let us in the back bit so we could get out of everyone's way....oh, we did have one irritating host who would look in on her just as she was about to sleep and start talking to her...hence the non-sleeping in the bassinet! My advice too would be for you to sit in the window seat so if you are feeding/bubs is sleeping you have a bit more room to rest your arm and aren't getting knocked by people.

Plus remember that your baby is always the loudest to you and most people have headphones/earplugs in anyway!

the blimming toilets can smell more from a adult , if you carnt hack the smell rub a bit of Vicks under ya nose that will sort it lol .

Maybe the Vicks needs rubbing in else where by some folk, that will make the toilet smell better, and also that way I think it will not be the crying babies that will their problem then:laugh:

Nah, don't worry about that sort of comment, the kids will be fine and the vast majority of your fellow travellers will give you a smile of understanding. Travel light though, wrangling a whole load of luggage just increases stress levels - give them both little backpacks and put a few little wrapped gifts in them. The kids will likely sleep most of the way, just let them run and run at the refuelling stop (take a blow up beach ball perhaps). Other thing for older kids - if they get motion sickness, and they are old enough for meds, try the meds on the ground first because sometimes they can have a paradoxical effect and really hype up the odd kid rather than their general sedative effect. You absolutely do not want a kid hyped up on Phenergan bouncing off the walls - test first! But motion sickness meds are invaluable for travel sick kids.

Thanks for the kind words and the tip about Phenergan. Unfortunately my two will be (almost) 3 and around 20 months so I dont think they can get Phenergan but I will look into it.......would be nice if they could and it worked as a sedative :) imagine the bliss if they passed out for the entire flight :) although I can also imagine the hell if it had the opposite effect :/

I can't believe some of the comments on this thread (from someone I won't name but you all know who I mean!). I am more disgusted by the person perving on the breastfeeding mother than I am on the fact they are breastfeeding (this doesn't disgust me, I breastfed all my babies), which is an entirely natural thing, best for baby and mum, encourages bonding, passes along vital antibodies, allows baby to be skin to skin with mum - something some mums seem to forget after about the first month or so, baby needs skin to skin contact. Anyway, lecture over :laugh:

I hope at least one of you is on the same flight as me as I will suffering from missing my grandson and the little boy next door, who calls me aunty and I've looked after since he was born. So, if you see me on the flight, need some peace and quiet and want a faux grandma for LO on the flight, I'm your woman :wink:

I tell you what is funny..why SELFISH parents assume other passangers on the flight who dont have kids

want to listen to your screeching brats..What happened to consideration for others..There isnt any anymore thats what...Its the ME culture as long as Im okay thats all that matters, and your screeching brats will turn out the same way..selfish...Put a dummy in it, thats what parents always used to do when we used to live in a less selfish greed driven world..

Sad, mean individual!...its a really simple rule of life...if you have nothing to say thats nice/helpful/useful or even slightly interesting , don't say anything at all.....why do you bother posting?

If its merely to get a reaction.....well i 'm sorry but its pathetic!

I can't believe some of the comments on this thread (from someone I won't name but you all know who I mean!). I am more disgusted by the person perving on the breastfeeding mother than I am on the fact they are breastfeeding (this doesn't disgust me, I breastfed all my babies), which is an entirely natural thing, best for baby and mum, encourages bonding, passes along vital antibodies, allows baby to be skin to skin with mum - something some mums seem to forget after about the first month or so, baby needs skin to skin contact. Anyway, lecture over :laugh:

I hope at least one of you is on the same flight as me as I will suffering from missing my grandson and the little boy next door, who calls me aunty and I've looked after since he was born. So, if you see me on the flight, need some peace and quiet and want a faux grandma for LO on the flight, I'm your woman :wink:

Or me too...lol I agree completely. :yes: some people make me so mad too...x

Thanks for the kind words and the tip about Phenergan. Unfortunately my two will be (almost) 3 and around 20 months so I dont think they can get Phenergan but I will look into it.......would be nice if they could and it worked as a sedative :) imagine the bliss if they passed out for the entire flight :) although I can also imagine the hell if it had the opposite effect :/

I'm pretty sure you can use phernergan from 6 months old. The chemist will advise but don't mention that you want it for its sedative effects!

Hi all, we are returning to Aus in the new year with a 6 month old, I wondered if anyone else has travelled to Aus with a 6 month old? Did you take a stop over? Do you have any advice? It's hard enough flying but I'm petrified with having the baby too!!

Thanks for your advice :-)

Ive just spotted your thread (and after getting really cross with certain unhelpful comments) I wanted to offer a top tip that might already have been suggested, but I found feeding my son as we were literally taking off made a lot of difference as the suckling action helped his ears naturally adjust to the change in pressure. Also the flight crews that I have seen recently have been brilliant in supporting young families so I'm sure they are well trained in this.

I have flown many times with my children as infants (who btw are now 14 and 16) and found calm mum who ignored unhelpful others really made most difference ;)

I'm pretty sure you can use phernergan from 6 months old. The chemist will advise but don't mention that you want it for its sedative effects!

In Aus it's much older than that. It's definitely contraindicated for the under 2s and I have a feeling that the age has been upped recently. No idea what docs in the UK say these days

I only asked WHY dont parents dont consider other passengers on a flight anymore and use a pacifier when it is screaming??? Parents in less selfish

times always used to use these...How many breastfeed on planes in public also?..This disgusts me..

I'd love to meet you on a flight as I can assure you that you wouldn't be bothered about how many infants were screaming or how many babies were doing what is the most natural thing on earth, suckling on their mothers breast (that's what they are for, not for you to oggle at in the sun) as I would be doing what comes naturally to me and that would be knocking your teeth out.

You sir are a pleb, one that I sincerely would like to punch!

In Aus it's much older than that. It's definitely contraindicated for the under 2s and I have a feeling that the age has been upped recently. No idea what docs in the UK say these days

I remember many years ago, when one of my babies had really bad eczema and couldn't settle, the GP did prescribe phernergan but I do think getting either the chemist or GP to advise is the best thing.

My dad used to dip his finger in whiskey and let me suck on it as a baby. That did the trick he said, can't see many parents trying this now though lol. Although don't some childrens medicines contain alcohol anyway ?

I'd love to meet you on a flight as I can assure you that you wouldn't be bothered about how many infants were screaming or how many babies were doing what is the most natural thing on earth, suckling on their mothers breast (that's what they are for, not for you to oggle at in the sun) as I would be doing what comes naturally to me and that would be knocking your teeth out.

You sir are a pleb, one that I sincerely would like to punch!

Threats on line what a ****** you are...I would have the first one in don't worry about that...:biglaugh:

Ive just spotted your thread (and after getting really cross with certain unhelpful comments) I wanted to offer a top tip that might already have been suggested, but I found feeding my son as we were literally taking off made a lot of difference as the suckling action helped his ears naturally adjust to the change in pressure. Also the flight crews that I have seen recently have been brilliant in supporting young families so I'm sure they are well trained in this.

I have flown many times with my children as infants (who btw are now 14 and 16) and found calm mum who ignored unhelpful others really made most difference ;)

Thanks so much for the tip, it's good to know you have flown many times with infants so it can't be that bad! ;-)

Thanks so much for the tip, it's good to know you have flown many times with infants so it can't be that bad! ;-)

Im sorry if i upset any parents with my comments...Im sure its okay to express my opinion on here..I hope so..I dont have any kids and never want any..so dont like them much or their noise..so was only expressing my opinion that parents as Im sure most do should consider other passengers peace and quiet on a long flight..

Im sorry if i upset any parents with my comments...Im sure its okay to express my opinion on here..I hope so..I dont have any kids and never want any..so dont like them much or their noise..so was only expressing my opinion that parents as Im sure most do should consider other passengers peace and quiet on a long flight..

Trouble is Echidna66, you did not express opinions you made accusations, when you really should have asked questions seeing you have no experience with dealing with children. Any way the response you provoked hopefully helps you in understanding what a parent (including yours) have to go through with the love and care of their child as a forethought.

Unfortunately you did upset several people with your comments I fully appreciate your views but I think you really need to be aware of how aweful you sound when posting in such an aggressive way.

It often takes people courage to post a question and to recieve comments such as yours is not only unhelpful but may stop others from posting questions at all, which I'm certain goes against everything this forum stands for...I dont want to sound patronising but perhaps a little more thought next time!

I tell you what is funny..why SELFISH parents assume other passangers on the flight who dont have kids

want to listen to your screeching brats..What happened to consideration for others..There isnt any anymore thats what...Its the ME culture as long as Im okay thats all that matters, and your screeching brats will turn out the same way..selfish...Put a dummy in it, thats what parents always used to do when we used to live in a less selfish greed driven world..

T*T

• 1 month later...
Guest littlesarah
I only asked WHY dont parents dont consider other passengers on a flight anymore and use a pacifier when it is screaming??? Parents in less selfish

times always used to use these...How many breastfeed on planes in public also?..This disgusts me..

FYI, a dummy doesn't make a baby quiet - for some (not all) babies, sucking helps them to regulate their breathing & calm down. My son is a very 'sucky' baby & loves his dummy; however, he won't always take it, & at times gets really wound up & is hard to settle. However irritating it may be for those around us, it is considerably more distressing for baby & me. And you should know that a mother's breast is much effective than any dummy at calming a distressed infant - I wish I could breastfeed because I'm pretty sure it would be easier to help D settle with my boob!

No parent sets out to deliberately upset you, but unfortunately young babies are not developed enough to communicate any way other than crying, & haven't developed the ability to self-regulate; hence the escalating crying that sometimes occurs. I used to pay extra for seats a long way from the bassinets, in order to avoid unwanted noise; I'd suggest that and ear plugs as a solution.

Archived