When did you start openly talking about your plans to move at work?

M1cha3la

As the title suggests, when did you start openly talking about your plans to move, with work?

DH has approached his work, as he is hoping for an internal transfer. So that just leaves my work...

I am in a difficult position as I only started this new job a few months ago, basically for the increase in pay to save more for Oz. I am still on probation so I am trying to keep shtum, but I am not a natural born liar so I feel like I am living a double life. We have our reccie/validation trip booked and I can't even talk about our real plans for that, its so hard.. I wouldn't even know how to lie about why your selling your house ect...?

I also feel bad as my manager keeps talking long term progression and deep down I know I wont be there :sad:

So did you openly talk about it at work or did you wait until you handed your notice in? Xx

If you haven't been with your employer for a year yet they can potentially dismiss you at anytime for pretty much any reason because you need a years service to challenge most dismissals you don't have much protection. If you had over a years service all well & good but I'd keep sctum for now.:wubclub:

I waited until the visa was through and basically gave my notice period.

We had gone through a lot of changes and rounds of redundancy and I wasn't going to volunteer the information early. All my close friends at work knew but I worked for a large organisation and had very little to do with HR and management.

I was once "caught out" before when I let the company know (job through a temp agency) that I was going to be moving on a few weeks down the line - we had got on well and they had been saying how pleased they were with me, so I thought it was the right thing to do. They phoned the agency that night and said not to come back which really scuppered my plans. Taught me that business is business.

I didn't mention anything at my work until I was ready to resign. Like you, I felt bad about not saying anything, especially because the company I worked for had been very good to me in the past. I tried to convince myself that it wasn't lying as such, because no-one ever asked me, "are you moving to Australia?".

Anyhow, the way I see it... you need to look out for your and your husband's future first and foremost. If you can do something to help your employer out, which won't come as a detriment to yourself, fair dos, but otherwise just do your best in the meantime and when you come to hand in your notice, do everything you can to make the transition as smooth as possible.

As for what to say when you resign... my husband has been offered an internal transfer to Australia and it's an opportunity of a lifetime.

You never know what is down the track. Work as if you are going to stay (you may, you never know), don't burn any bridges, never quit if you can take a career break, don't sell your house, keep all your options open. Tell them when it's concrete not just an aspiration.

I only have to give a months notice but I gave them 4!! I'm heading up quite a few projects and felt it was unfair on my boss (who has done loads to help my career progress) if I kept quiet.

Shes been lovely about it and I'm even involved in hiring my replacement!

Because you are new, I'd keep quiet a bit longer.

This is something we have talked about even though we are 12 months from leaving. I had always thought that I would give 3 months (help train and assimilate my successor etc) but a long standing employee resigned recently, offering to stay longer but was told to just give a month. I don't know the full story but it has made me think twice.

It is difficult especially with a recce booked. People ask what you will be doing there and I mention just the holiday bits, barrier reef etc even though we have no intention of going that far north on this trip. Feel bad not being truthful especially as the company has been good to me (though I have been good for the business too even if I say so myself) but office politics would be awful if they knew and 12 months is a long time at work and it is certain that I would be excluded from many decisions which affect my work. Plus, unforseeable events could happen in the meantime through no fault of ours which could delay plans making it even worse.

Ultimately you have to put you and your family first.

Personally I wouldn't be saying anything, until after I had resigned to my boss. I feel that it's my business only, and in work situations, providing information about leaving/emigrating, before you've actually quit, is not a good idea. Maybe you have a few good friends who are also colleagues, who can be trusted to confide in, but even then I'd be a bit wary.

Like Gbye grey sky, I've had to be a bit vague about our reccie trip in August - other than that, nobody I work with is that interested. I've worked in offices long enough to know what office politics / gossip can be like, so I'd rather be vague/aloof and not get drawn in unnecessarily.

Sorry for the mixed use of my/you in this - hopefully you still get the gist of what I mean...!

Edited by vickyplum

Mr MtT told his work after it leaked out via a friend who knows a friend etc., and now they all keep him asking him when he's going! The bosses have made jokes like it's the longest notice period in history (since they've known since last year!) but they are fine with it and aren't going to replace him when he's gone in case he wants his job back because he doesn't like it! They've told him that even if after a year or two he wants to return, there will always be a job for him, which is nice. Guess it's slightly different though as he's worked there for years and they would need a good reason to just get rid of him. Plus, they haven't got anybody to replace him!

I start my job in September as a newly qualified nurse in a private hospital and come December need to ask for a reference for ANMAC, I am petrified. I really don't know how to go about that... Seems like I will have no choice but to tell them, which will be awful as I am sure I will still be receiving training from them.

I haven't told anyone at work yet but we are still going through my skills assessment (SA) at the moment. Luckily the manager I DID tell (who I needed a reference letter from for my SA) has now retired and didn't tell anyone else, so I managed to get my SA done and can soon apply for my visa without my work ever knowing! I feel kind of empowered in that I am just going to say "see ya" when I hand my notice in and no one will have a clue I've been doing all this work! And they will all be SO jealous!

But I agree you do feel a bit guilty when people mention things in the future and you know you won't be there. And its hard not sharing good news with people you like.

They will be so happy for you (and jealous) that they wont hold it against you. Just tell them when you hand your notice in.

I start my job in September as a newly qualified nurse in a private hospital and come December need to ask for a reference for ANMAC, I am petrified. I really don't know how to go about that... Seems like I will have no choice but to tell them, which will be awful as I am sure I will still be receiving training from them.

I worry about that too wish we didn't have to have reference for skills assessment. Only thing I will say is that I'm asking so soon but doesn't mean it's in the immediate future, I'll play it down saying the visa can take a year and then we have 5 years to activate it and save up. I'll say that in doing it early means it's secure as fees go up all the time and a medical

Condition can crop up anytime. Not a total lie really ??? I just would hate they wouldn't put much into me that first year if they knew I would be off shortly after?

I had to approach my ward manager for a reference for ANMAC last week, he was brilliant about it, but I was dreading the conversation as I felt I was betraying the position I had. i qualified Sept 2013 and this has been our plan all along. He asked when we could potentially be going, I just said it could be 12-18 months + as the visa process can be cruel at times and who knows what hold ups we may encounter along the way. I think honesty is best, most people will be supportive but can equally understand that not everyone are the same and have no choice but to leave it till the very last minute.

I think employers don't expect people to stay with a company forever and can react very maturely over somebody's plans to leave. Some will appreciate the heads up and will gladly use the time well for succession planning. But it depends on the individual and each situation and employer would need to be judged separately. In your circumstances though, of being a new employee on probation, for sure I would be keeping quiet for the time being.