Looking for some advice/help! At the very start of our journey to Oz!

RachelManning89

Hi I'm Rachel :biggrin:

Myself and my fiance are currently looking to move to Oz around summer 2015. We are very much at the start of the process, so any help would be greatly appreciated. We are not sure whether to try and get skilled visa's before hand or try to get work over there?

My partner Sam, 25, is a NVQ2 qualified carpenter and will be NVQ3 qualified before we go to Oz. He is interested in working within the timber framing industry, but any work would be great :) anyone know the best places to work as a carpenter? What visa would be the best to apply for?

I am 24 and work within finance and am level 3 AAT qualified, will be level 4 qualified before i go to Oz. I'd be happy to work anywhere within Oz. Again what is the best visa to apply for?

We were also wondering if it would help our application, if we were to get married before we go to Oz?

Kind regards

Rach

x

Hi Rach

If you are looking at making the move for a long term thing ,id try and get skilled visa's based on your occupation / hubbys occupation. If you just want to come over for a year or so ,then maybe look into the WHV. I cant help with visa's and what to do, it confused me so much when we looked into moving here, lol, i paid an agent to help put our application together.

Lots of luck with everything and hopefully someone will be along soon who knows exactly what visa's you would qualify for in the occupations you have.

Cal x

Hi Rach

At the moment, i am not sure either of you qualify for a permanent visa - you boyfriend might soon, but he will need to get some more experience as skilled visas need the quakifacation and some post qualifacation experience.

You would both qualify for a working holiday visa, which if you did 3 months of regional work would allow you to stay for 2 years

Thanks Cal :) The visas are so confusing! Lol! We would like to get skilled visas, just worried about what doing "Regional" work would mean....we dont want to be stuck in a really quiet town far away from a city. We may just look into an agent! How did you find it with help from an agency?

Rach

x

Hi I'm Rachel :biggrin:

Myself and my fiance are currently looking to move to Oz around summer 2015. We are very much at the start of the process, so any help would be greatly appreciated. We are not sure whether to try and get skilled visa's before hand or try to get work over there?

My partner Sam, 25, is a NVQ2 qualified carpenter and will be NVQ3 qualified before we go to Oz. He is interested in working within the timber framing industry, but any work would be great :) anyone know the best places to work as a carpenter? What visa would be the best to apply for?

I am 24 and work within finance and am level 3 AAT qualified, will be level 4 qualified before i go to Oz. I'd be happy to work anywhere within Oz. Again what is the best visa to apply for?

We were also wondering if it would help our application, if we were to get married before we go to Oz?

Kind regards

Rach

x

If you just want to experience Australia for a year or two, then the WHV would suit you just fine. If you bite the bullet and do regional work for three months you can stay for two years, otherwise only one. I do think it is unlikely that either of you would be able to secure sponsorship, you because your qualifications are not at the right level and your OH because it is rare for trades to get sponsorship.

If you wanted to move permanently, it would need to be on the back of your OHs qualifications, you would need to become a qualified accountant or at least have a degree in accountancy. I am not familiar with the requirements for a carpenter, but sounds like your OH is still accumulating the right qualifications. I would perhaps recommend you look into what is required for skills assessment before you go. Bear in mind that if he does not yet qualify for skills assessment you might shoot yourself in the foot by moving over next year on a WHV, it means work experience gets patchy and he might not meet the criteria.

There is no need to get married at this stage. Australia recognises defacto relationships, this means married in all but name, it does not mean dating.

If you just want to experience Australia for a year or two, then the WHV would suit you just fine. If you bite the bullet and do regional work for three months you can stay for two years, otherwise only one. I do think it is unlikely that either of you would be able to secure sponsorship, you because your qualifications are not at the right level and your OH because it is rare for trades to get sponsorship.

If you wanted to move permanently, it would need to be on the back of your OHs qualifications, you would need to become a qualified accountant or at least have a degree in accountancy. I am not familiar with the requirements for a carpenter, but sounds like your OH is still accumulating the right qualifications. I would perhaps recommend you look into what is required for skills assessment before you go. Bear in mind that if he does not yet qualify for skills assessment you might shoot yourself in the foot by moving over next year on a WHV, it means work experience gets patchy and he might not meet the criteria.

There is no need to get married at this stage. Australia recognises defacto relationships, this means married in all but name, it does not mean dating.

Thanks Rupert. So if we were to go out on the WHV, after doing the 3 months regional work, can we then apply for jobs more related to our professions and in non-regional areas?

Thanks

Rachel

x

Thanks Rupert. So if we were to go out on the WHV, after doing the 3 months regional work, can we then apply for jobs more related to our professions and in non-regional areas?

Thanks

Rachel

x

Working for three months allows you to get the second year visa. It has no bearing on anything else, you can work where you like in whatever occupation you like. The only restriction (and it is a big one) is that you cannot spend more than 6 months with one company.

Hi there,

I have just seen your post. We are planning to make the move around august 2015.

Luckily i am australian by birth,so we are applying for a partner visa for my husband, so unable to give any advise on the visa side.

I myself am newly AAT Level 4 qualified.

and my partner is a qualified joiner, so it would be interesting to see any advice you recieve.

I have myself been looking at how the AAT would help with getting a job in australia. And i am struggling witht this. As it doesnt appear to be recongnised in Australia. I am due to start the ACCA shortly which appears to be a bit more recognised in australia. But i would have only done maybe 2-4 exams by moving, so im hoping i will still be able to get a job within an accounts dept in australia somehow.

My partner is a joiner, and he has the city of guilds qualification-level 3 i think for advanced joinery. We have discovered that to get the qualifications recognised in australia it costs around £2000.

However someone on here gave us advice that a polished CV with plenty of pictures should be good enough for an employer. So we are going to try and go down that route instead.

If you have any advice it would be great help,expecially with the AAT.

Archived