no jobs for a couple both with trades :-(

Rachandian

Me and my partner have come over to Australia in Feb. Both of us have trades, im a hair stylist and he is a pipe fitter / coded welder and we literally cant get any jobs.

Most of the agencies are not too good once they know we are only on a 417. Does anyone have any suggestions? we have tried Melbourne and Sydney.

Me and my partner have come over to Australia in Feb. Both of us have trades, im a hair stylist and he is a pipe fitter / coded welder and we literally cant get any jobs.

Most of the agencies are not too good once they know we are only on a 417. Does anyone have any suggestions? we have tried Melbourne and Sydney.

Listen hunnie i feel feel for you , you have just got to keep trying , if you are a hairdresser get some leaflets printed a go mobile for now , your hubby I'm not sure about .

A lot of companies will be reluctant to take you on a working holiday visa. If they have a permanent vacancy they dont want to have to advertise it again in 6 months. You would be better trying for something outwith your trade, bar work, waitressing etc where there is usually a large turn over of staff and jobs are seasonal as that is what a working holiday visa is really for. Try for some casual positions as well, at least it would be something

Guest Guest66881

Yeah casual would be the best option for your fella, you though - you could just rock up to any salon and just ask if they have vacancies or know of any.

Good luck.

Well keep trying of course, but the WHV is rally not intended for people to come over and work in their regular trade or profession. It is for holiday making backpackers who want to pick up a bit of bar work as they explore Australia. So some people will find work in their regular trade but many will not because employers don't really like the short term nature of the visa.

Guest Dave53
Well keep trying of course, but the WHV is rally not intended for people to come over and work in their regular trade or profession. It is for holiday making backpackers who want to pick up a bit of bar work as they explore Australia. So some people will find work in their regular trade but many will not because employers don't really like the short term nature of the visa.

Absolutely right Rupert .. Couldn't have put it better myself .. Rachandian, start enjoying your holiday , after all that's what your here for isn't it ? ... When you get short of cash, take on a casual job ... There's plenty of casual jobs advertised in coastal towns , particularly aimed at WHV folk .. Of course if you have other motives , then I suggest you reassess your situation ..

Dave C

Have you moved to a location that is aimed towards people on a working holiday visa's? Where jobs would be changing over on a regular basis?

I agree with others, it would appear that it would be the wrong visa for long term work.

Are you planning on staying long? Could your husband look for sponsorship from an employer or perhaps even yourself? Say you have come over on a WHV to find a sponsor.

Also I would consider asking for a free trial to see if you have the skills they may be looking for.

Guest Guest95262

Don't waste time sending CVs to bars and that, my girlfriend just walks around handing in CVs, she has had 3 jobs and has got all 3 of them in 1 day of looking doing it this way. I am surprised agencies won't take on a pipe fitter most jobs are casual and temp through agencies anyway, loads of people come here on whv and work i their trade, I did, I found both my jobs on gumtree by the way and both never even asked what visa I was on, why tell them.

Guest Dave53

Anyone who enters Australia on a WHV with the intent to secure long term employment or sponsorship should consider themselves lucky to get through immigration .. As a PR who did the hard yards and approached everything correctly , it annoys me somewhat that some try and circumvent the process .. If your on a WHV , you are on holiday , just remember that ..

Dave C

Guest Guest95262

So because you did it the hard way around everyone else has to? Seems odd how you say that like its illegal or something, how many people come here on a whv and either get a sponsorship or decide to apply for residency while still on a whv, quite a lot i would imagine and I don't know anyone who has had problems because they did either of these on a WHV, seriously stop being resentful and stop talking rubbish.

Guest Dave53

If an individual enters Australia on a WHV with the intent of securing sponsorship or long term employment , then quite clearly that person is in breach of the WHV visa , no argument . I never used the word " illegal " , those are your words . I do accept that individuals may be offered sponsorship during their stay on a WHV , that is a different scenario . I'm referring to people who enter with the specific aim of using the WHV for a purpose for what it is not intended . Is it possible to apply for PR while on a WHV as you state. .? ... Im not so sure about that .... I don't consider myself as resentful and certainly I don't think I'm talking rubbish either , your interpretation again ..

Dave C

I think it will be difficult at the minute because it's difficult for citizens and pr at the minute to secure employment , you might get bits of work that lasts 4 weeks on shut downs or something , u may get labourers jobs off gum tree or just go drop into places and get talking to them or something . And remember also a lot of Ozzies are out of work so the market will be a bit mor competitive because they have australian experience .

Yes it is absolutely possible to apply for pr while on a whv. There is NO breach of the whv conditions by doing that or looking for a sponsor. It's all perfectly legal which is why it is possible. I must say Dave53, you do sound very resentful.

Guest Guest40285

I came on a work visa with the full intent of staying, Nobody ever asked me for a visa or anything applied for heaps of jobs and got all of them, then chose which one I wanted, applied for PR and got it in under a year, that was 20 years ago been here ever since, no dramas. No doubt everything has changed since then, Good luck with it all, stay positive Im sure something will come along now that you have put it out there.

Guest Dave53
Yes it is absolutely possible to apply for pr while on a whv. There is NO breach of the whv conditions by doing that or looking for a sponsor. It's all perfectly legal which is why it is possible. I must say Dave53, you do sound very resentful.

I accept your explanations , my apologies all round .I'm not resentful , just very surprised that's all with the system , and certainly no intent to cause disunity .. Times have certainly changed a lot since we arrived in Australia all those year ago .. I stand corrected .

Dave 53

Well my daughter came on a WHV. Probably hopeful she could stay as her parents and 1 brother live here, but if nothing else to live near us for a while. She was just young enough for the visa, highly qualified, but her job not on the skills list.

she did various gash jobs, giving out leaflets and posters for a musical festival etc. and helped out at the festival, was prepared to do anything (legal)!!

applied for a job in her skill, got the job initially for 6 months, then 457, so do I care that some posters think it's wrong? No delighted she is here, that she took a chance and it worked,but she would have accepted it if it hadn't.

there's nothing wrong with working your trade on a whv- a lot of nurses do this, and add much to the system here. sure there's the crappy jobs to fill for whv, but you are free to work wherever, doing whatever, as long as you meet the criteria. why it's hard at the moment is because employment is tightening across the whole country- it's not easy on a temporary visa and a lot of people will look to you last. if you can't get your trade, there's a heap of agencies, lots of casual work on gumtree and lots of casual work advertised at backpacker hostels. i did a few unrelated jobs in retail and a weird local council job on my whv- nothing related to what i was doing in the UK, but transferable skills plus joining lots of agencies paid off. good luck!

Something that just occurred to me, back in 1999 when I had my whv it was a condition that you must not work in a profession you were trained in. So back then it looks like they weren't keen on people looking for sponsorship (although you could). It seems they aren't worried about that any more as it isn't a restriction any more.

I live in cronulla and there always cafés etc with signs advertising work. I reckon it must be hard in any new place to find a job without any contacts etc.. Is there a group or site where whv can get contacts and ideas from? I think to work in bars you have to do a rsa course... Don't give up I know plenty of people who struggle but find something.good luck!

When you say agencies, do you mean temp agencies, or are you applying for permanent jobs? Temp agencies work with 417 applicants all the time, they're their bread and butter. I don't know why you'd even try applying for permanent jobs. No employer is going to hire you through an agency, pay their hefty fee (a month's salary), and then have to pay again in six months. Besides, when agencies fill a permanent job, they offer a guarantee - if the person leaves within three months, they'll replace them free of charge. Someone on a 417 is just too much of a risk.

Even applying direct is difficult. If an employer is going through a formal process of advertising, requesting CV's, interviewing, drawing up a short list etc etc, then even if it's for a short contract, they're going to choose someone with longer-term availability, so they have flexibility to extend if they need to.

Register with a few temp agencies and say you're willing to do anything. I think you both need to pound the pavements and approach businesses personally, instead of emailing/posting applications. My niece's husband got regular work on building sites, just by rocking up and asking for work. Go into hairdressers and ask.

Have you tried approaching Just Cuts - every time I go there, I seem to get a different backpacker cutting my hair.

Marisa you are right up to a point. Obviously a lot of people on WHV's are young and not work skilled, not the 2 posters, don't have much in the way of work skills to offer. However quite a few come older, eg. including my daughter, who have skills and overseas experience and some to get snapped up for that reason, given a 6 month contract, and then kept on possibly a 457. I know my daughter was offered more than 1 job through agencies because of her work experience and qualifications.

they take a chance on this route if as in my daughters case their job isn't on the skills list, and if it doesn't work out accept it and hopefully they have enjoyed their time here.

Marisa you are right up to a point. Obviously a lot of people on WHV's are young and not work skilled, not the 2 posters, don't have much in the way of work skills to offer. However quite a few come older, eg. including my daughter, who have skills and overseas experience and some to get snapped up for that reason, given a 6 month contract, and then kept on possibly a 457. I know my daughter was offered more than 1 job through agencies because of her work experience and qualifications.

they take a chance on this route if as in my daughters case their job isn't on the skills list, and if it doesn't work out accept it and hopefully they have enjoyed their time here.

She was given a 6 month contract. That means she was employed through the temp/contract side of an agency, not the perm side. Their fees are different and they make a lot of their income from placing skilled WHV's.

The fact the OP's are saying agencies don't want to know them, suggests they're applying for longer-term roles. I don't know that many hairdressers would use agencies to recruit casual or contract staff.

She was given a 6 month contract. That means she was employed through the temp/contract side of an agency, not the perm side. Their fees are different and they make a lot of their income from placing skilled WHV's.

The fact the OP's are saying agencies don't want to know them, suggests they're applying for longer-term roles. I don't know that many hairdressers would use agencies to recruit casual or contract staff.

To be honest it was a few years ago, so I can't quite remember. All I remember is that it was a multi national company who employed her, and whether it was for 6 months to start with as this was the easiest way to get her started with them instantly I don't know, and they instigated her 457 almost instantly, as they did want her permanently. So yes who knows temp or permanent agency,

Archived