Look at the last photo and tell me you wouldn't be worried

Guest Guest66881

Guest Guest66881

Passengers on a plane that made an emergency landing at Perth Airport this morning after an engine caught fire have praised the pilot for landing safely.

The Cobham Aviation plane headed for Barrow island with fly-in fly-out workers was forced to return to the airport soon after takeoff.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/23058733/plane-in-perth-airport-emergency/

Pictures show flames coming from one of the plane's left hand engines.

Channel 7 reporter Rebecca O'Donovan said passengers told her there were screams and people crying on board the plane.

She said passengers had praised the pilot.

One witness said the engine appeared to catch fire soon after the plane took off.

The plane immediately returned to the airport soon after taking off about 10.45am.

It was the second plane the Barrow workers had been on today. The first was delayed by technical problems.

290414genplanepics2_19lub25-19lub29.jpgA picture of the damaged engine, taken by a passenger. Picture: Jason GrimmettCobham Aviation said the plane has landed safely after a midair incident.

p1060456_19lu8mc-19lu8mg.jpgThe plane with the engine fire soon after leaving Perth Airport. Picture: John Murray6PR reporter Lisa Barnes said passengers saw sparks and yelled for the stewardess.

The aircraft is being assessed by aviation fire-fighters at the airport.

According to its website, Cobham operates 11 Boeing B717 aircraft.

More to come

290414genplane2_19lu9s1-19lu9s6.jpgPicture: Community Newspaper Group290414genplanepics4_19lub5r-19lub5u.jpgThe damaged engine on the plane as it comes in to land. Picture: Jason Grimmett

As an ex stewardess, have had my fair share of incidents. Flown for several hours over pretty desolate bush and jungle in Africa after a bird strike on take off was a bit worrying. Then was daft enough to marry a pilot! You might like this story, was flying with him, me as a passenger, when there were a series of bangs and flames shooting out of the engine just after take off. He closed down the engine circled and landed, Once landed he asked me if I had timed how long between the bangs!!! I had other things on my mind at the time, so failed as a pilots wife!!

won't mention any of the really scary times.

Ps glad every one on board safe

Looks impressive.....the fire bottles did the job they were designed for and extinguished the fire after the firewall shut off valves were closed. The Cobham (National Jet) guys are well trained.....looks a lot worse than it actually is.

It seems to be a BAe 146.

It most definitely is a 146....just another media fail

Guest Dave53

Another media beat up .. The aircraft is a Bae146 , it has 4, engines and will climb and maintain height very easily on 2 . Engine fires and flameouts always look spectacular , however , as has been said , the Cobham crew are very well trained and the passengers although no doubt alarmed were never in any serious danger .. I've been involved in aviation for many years and it probably would notvhave unnerved me , however, as a run of mill passenger it would be a different story I'm sure .

Dave C

Another media beat up .. The aircraft is a Bae146 , it has 4, engines and will climb and maintain height very easily on 2 . Engine fires and flameouts always look spectacular , however , as has been said , the Cobham crew are very well trained and the passengers although no doubt alarmed were never in any serious danger .. I've been involved in aviation for many years and it probably would notvhave unnerved me , however, as a run of mill passenger it would be a different story I'm sure .

Dave C

Well reference my previous post, I have been involved in aviation since the 1960's both as a stewardess for years and married to a pilot, and I am not ashamed to admit I was unnerved when it happened on my flight, even though I had total confidence in the captain, my husband. I am definitely not a runof the mill passenger, and have had my fair share of incidents.

I dont really care what model of plane it was or who made it, however i do know, it was A - in the air, B- on Fire, and C- panic stations on board, so HELL YES id be pooping my pants!!!
My point about the plane type was to demonstrate that the journalist has no knowledge of aviation. A 717 is a rare plane that has two rear mounted engines and wings under the fuselage. The 146 has top mounted wings with two engines hanging below each wing. They are totally different.By the same token, sometimes scary things happen on a plane, and sometimes an engine goes on fire. The two situations are very different. In this case, the pilot would have advised the passengers of the fire, assured them that the fuel tanks were separated from the fire and that the engine would be shut down with no detriment to the ability to fly. There would have been no need for panic because a burning engine is such a straightforward occurrence. But the journalist has just taken the photos and sensationalised them.

Guest Guest66881
I dont really care what model of plane it was or who made it, however i do know, it was A - in the air, B- on Fire, and C- panic stations on board, so HELL YES id be pooping my pants!!!

Cal x

:notworthy::cry:

My point about the plane type was to demonstrate that the journalist has no knowledge of aviation. A 717 is a rare plane that has two rear mounted engines and wings under the fuselage. The 146 has top mounted wings with two engines hanging below each wing. They are totally different.By the same token, sometimes scary things happen on a plane, and sometimes an engine goes on fire. The two situations are very different. In this case, the pilot would have advised the passengers of the fire, assured them that the fuel tanks were separated from the fire and that the engine would be shut down with no detriment to the ability to fly. There would have been no need for panic because a burning engine is such a straightforward occurrence. But the journalist has just taken the photos and sensationalised them.

Not that rare...Qantaslink has 13 so I am led to believe.

My OH said apparently the news on camp was that the poor passengers had already been on board and disembarked on one plane as it had an electrical fault, this was a second plane they'd been put on. But they were hoping to resume flights tonight tthere are a lot of opeople waiting to get off the island tonight but I suppose better a day late and safe.

i've seen a fair few articles in the paper and every one of them always has factual inaccuracies. i wonder if they do it deliberately, so's to make it easier to shrug off criticism.

those who know, check.

as far as the pictures go, i'm a little more concerned at the hole at the back of the cowling, looks like the turbine has crapped itself. i guess it'll all come out in the report.

I remember watching BBC News 24 live on 9/11 when the 2nd plane hit, which they obviously had footage of flying into the building, which they kept showing. The journalist in the studio thought it was an executive jet - I was tempted to ring them up and point out that it looked like a Boeing 767, certainly much bigger than an executive jet. Also on Channel 7 news when there was an incident with an A380 which had to make an emergency landing in Azerbaijan, at the end of the news report it said that Boeing were investigating the incident!!!

Apparently there are only 49 Boeing 717s outside the US: 18 in Australia, 9 in Finland, 15 in Spain and 7 in Turkmenistan. I'm not sure I've ever seen one.

They operate all across northern Australia and throughout Qld regional centres as well as WA.

Great aeroplane...I flew it's predecessor....The Mcdonnell Douglas DC-9 for a while in 1987

Archived