Snakes

Aggi

Are there snakes in Mornington/Safety Beach, I'm wondering about all the new houses being built at the Marina there may be snakes !!

I've lived here 7 years and haven't seen one in Suburban Melbourne yet. Friends who live in Langwarrin have seen one in the 6 years they have been here. I haven't heard of anyone else who has seen snakes, they are pretty shy and try and stay away from you.

BB

They are more frightened and tend to stick to the fields as there are plenty of them around the Peninsula. They are not too keen on mowers and cats and dogs etc. They are protected so we are not allowed to kill them. I have seen more adders visiting the UK than I have seen snakes on the Peninsula, seen two Adders in UK and nearly stepped on one. Seen one snake 20 odd years ago in my garden. That said they are around and they do great work eating rats, mice and other vermin.

Hi Petals

thanks for that, I'm absolutely terrified of them, also I have a wee terrier which I will be bringing over and I would hate if anything happened to him re a snake, I don't want to be living in fear of going out incase I come across a snake.

aggi

Supposedly there are snakes in every suburb in Melbourne.

But you are unlikely to see one. It is not like they are everywhere waiting to jump out at you.

I'm actually a bit disappointed. My local park has signs which say caution snakes and there is a creek an d looks like good territory for a snake.

I take the dog for a walk every evening but have never seen one in 20 years there.

Don't woory it is very unlikely you will see one. Just keep your property maintained - don't have a lot of long grass or wood piles etc and you won't have a problem.

We do not have tree snakes in Victoria. They like the tropics.

Ha I saw 2 Brown's and a red belly in a week in Victoria over Christmas!

Not quite, Petals, brown and tiger snakes are known to frequent trees.

Cheers, Bobj.

Not my trees :laugh:

Come on we are trying to sooth people's fears. I am terrified of snakes as we had them in the house in Africa climbing along the picture rails and I have never recovered but I have to say that they are very respectful of my fear here in Vic and keep away, remember I must knock on wood :wink: That said my friend who lives in Cleveland suburb of Brisbane messaged me she had one in the mail box the other day. They have a lot where she lives as its near swampy land.

Guest hill billy

I'm terrified of snakes as well, can't even look at them on tv or in pictures, i've lived in the dandenong ranges in victoria in a bushy area for 32 years and have never seen a snake, i don't even think about them when i go in the garden.

They are around but probably a lot more so in the northern states where it is warmer.

Best to always be careful though to be on the safe side, but as I said I've never seen one in suburbia in my 35 years in Melbourne.

Other people do though, particularly if they live near the Yarra or in the bushier areas.

• 4 weeks later...
Supposedly there are snakes in every suburb in Melbourne.

But you are unlikely to see one. It is not like they are everywhere waiting to jump out at you.

I'm actually a bit disappointed. My local park has signs which say caution snakes and there is a creek an d looks like good territory for a snake.

I take the dog for a walk every evening but have never seen one in 20 years there.

Don't woory it is very unlikely you will see one. Just keep your property maintained - don't have a lot of long grass or wood piles etc and you won't have a problem.

whereabouts are you living?

that reminds me of our local park in Greensborough with signs for snakes....I was gutted to never see one!

In the 22 years we have lived on our 2 1/2acres, I have seen one snake, and a neighbour once came to tell me that he had seen one crossing the road onto my property. If you see one, back off and leave it alone. If it stays around, call the council and they will arrange for a snake catcher to come and remove it. Advice given re keeping your grass cut is good. And yes, watch out for those Drop Bears in the trees, especially during the mating season which runs from January through to December.

Not quite, Petals, brown and tiger snakes are known to frequent trees.

Cheers, Bobj.

yes there are snakes everywhere and dangerous ones but as posters above say they are shy and unless you set out looking for them or do a fair bit of walking you are unlikely to see them. there are a lot on the Yarra valley trail in melbourne at certain times of the year. But no need to be frightened, just aware.

yes there are snakes everywhere and dangerous ones but as posters above say they are shy and unless you set out looking for them or do a fair bit of walking you are unlikely to see them. there are a lot on the Yarra valley trail in melbourne at certain times of the year. But no need to be frightened, just aware.

Goodoh, mate.

It is important to let people know that there are snakes in suburban Australia, even though the majority will never see one.

Cheers, Bobj.

I am the biggest wuss out there but every time I see a snake it has been a real treat. They are beautiful creatures. I've seen 2-3 brown snakes, a red bellied black and a few pythons. It's the snakes you don't see that hurt you so I do stomp a lot when I'm out bush walking and the grass is long, also like wearing v sturdy boots! My friend was out walking when a green tree snake fell on her from above.. I think that might have shaken me a bit even though they're not dangerous!