older child on gap year can he be included on my 489 visa?

Sharon taylor

we have an older son (20) who once finished his A levels ( took 3 yrs!!) worked for a bit to save money for a gap year, he is currently in Australia on a WHV, he is staying with family and we are sending money to help support him, he is wanting to go to uni in oz he will still be dependant on us and would continue to be while studying,my question is if anyone can help is as we are applying for a 489 skilled regional visa to SA is there likely to be a problem in adding him and will he need to come back to the UK to have his medical and police check? TIA :)

To be a dependent you need to be responsible for all his basic needs ie shelter, food, clothing. By being on a WHV you are no longer responsible for his basic needs regardless of sending him some money. Speak to a RMA but it doesn't look like you would be able to show dependency.

Thanks all for your reply`s,

so are our kids not allowed to take a gap year? its not like he`s working full-time, if at all, he wouldn't be able to support himself without my financial help or my sisters home! if we are successful with our visa and he was refused as a dependant what would happen? he would be in the UK alone with no family or home? is there anyone who can shed some light to what my options may be, thanks in advance

He is not exactly on a gap year - he has been out of fulltime education for over 3 years - he is an adult.

He is currently on a WHV why can he not go get a job, travel, stay in hostels and support himself? like the moajority of all the other backpackers. There is no reason why he has to stay at your sisters and you sending him money.

If your son is not classed as a dependent on your visa, he will need to find qualify for his own visa. There has been members of the forum who's children were still in fulltime education and still deemed no longer to be dependants.

thanks lebourvellec,

sorry I didn't make that very clear, he`s just finished his A levels, (he re-took a year making the total time studying for A`levels 3 yrs) he was working part time here in the UK as most students do this helped fund his trip to oz, he left in December, do you know what type of visa we could apply for if unable to be added onto ours?

There is no need to get worked up with the people here. We don't make the rules, we are just telling you how it works, like you asked.

I totally agree with the above though. There is no reason he can't support himself. I came on a working holiday visa and never had a penny sent from my parents. I never had family to stay with. That is the way most people do it on a working holiday visa. Infact, that is the whole point of a WORKING holiday visa. That you work to fund yourself.

He will need to train up in something which Australia wants. If he has only got as far as a levels it is likely to take a while before he can join you.

I would pay for some advice from an agent. Even a few hundred pounds would be worth spending to get the full and definitive picture of your options. If he studies there at the moment it'll be International fees (huge) with no certainty he can stay beyond that.

Im sorry blossom79, but i`m certainly not getting "worked up", just asking questions and thanking posters, I was trying to clarify if it wasn't clear in my first post what my situation is, it really has nothing to do with whether or not you had any help or not, I myself travelled to Australia when younger without the help from my parents or family, doesn't mean I cant fund or support my son who overcame alot of difficulties to achieve his results, the point of posting was to get some advice not to be judged on what I do or don't do for my children!! now i am getting worked up!! NOT!! anyway thanks for everyone for taking the time in posting advice and if you've taken offence at my "text tone" get over it and move on ;)

Im sorry blossom79, but i`m certainly not getting "worked up", just asking questions and thanking posters, I was trying to clarify if it wasn't clear in my first post what my situation is, it really has nothing to do with whether or not you had any help or not, I myself travelled to Australia when younger without the help from my parents or family, doesn't mean I cant fund or support my son who overcame alot of difficulties to achieve his results, the point of posting was to get some advice not to be judged on what I do or don't do for my children!! now i am getting worked up!! NOT!! anyway thanks for everyone for taking the time in posting advice and if you've taken offence at my "text tone" get over it and move on ;)

You got your advice. It was the "so he can't take a gap year" that sounded like you are challenging us because you don't like the rules, when we are just telling you what they are. Move on yourself.

Some parents might choose to provide their offspring with funds until they are 50, but it doesn't make them dependent. Your son is 20, he is living on the other side of the world to you now, he has a visa with working rights and is perfectly capable of looking after himself. He is not dependent.

• 5 months later...

just in case anyone else is in the same situation as me applying for a visa with an older child, there is hope, we were granted our visa this week including my 20 year old son, so for us it was always worth the risk and extra effort to have our family all together, happy days :)

Sharon Taylor, My daughter was also 20 and in Australia, she too was added on our permanent visa, well done, really chuffed for you x

we have an older son (20) who once finished his A levels ( took 3 yrs!!) worked for a bit to save money for a gap year, he is currently in Australia on a WHV, he is staying with family and we are sending money to help support him, he is wanting to go to uni in oz he will still be dependant on us and would continue to be while studying,my question is if anyone can help is as we are applying for a 489 skilled regional visa to SA is there likely to be a problem in adding him and will he need to come back to the UK to have his medical and police check? TIA :)

Take some professional advice.

just in case anyone else is in the same situation as me applying for a visa with an older child, there is hope, we were granted our visa this week including my 20 year old son, so for us it was always worth the risk and extra effort to have our family all together, happy days :)

QUOTE]

She already has her visa wrussell. She has updated.

Archived