Thomson sentence too much or not enough?

Guest Guest66881

Guest Guest66881

Former federal MP Craig Thomson will spend three months in jail for spending union funds on prostitutes and personal expenses.

Thomson has been sentenced to 12 months' jail, nine months of which are suspended for two years.

He has been bailed pending an appeal, set down for November 24.

In sentencing, Magistrate Charlie Rozencwajg was scathing of Thomson's conduct.

I knew a guy once who defrauded credit cards, when banks were virtually forcing them on people with huge credit limits and poor background checks.

He cleared £90,000 using false names and addresses, then used the money to buy a secret house in his girlfriend's name....reckoned it was pretty untraceable.

He reckoned that he'd get caught eventually and would admit to spending the m,oney on booze and holidays, and receive a sentence of 18 months in jail. He reasoned that this would be a fair cop and he'd be willing to do the time, a good value outcome (he never got caught).

This guy Thomson cleared about $270,000, has been caught repeatedly bleating, lying, crying, accusing other people and falsifying documents, then been destroyed in court by evidence and prostitutes.

I'm amazed how many people over here have got the front to mount scurrilous defences when they're obvious fraudsters. When you see the punishments they hand out you can see why....it's worth doing !

I knew a guy once who defrauded credit cards, when banks were virtually forcing them on people with huge credit limits and poor background checks.

He cleared £90,000 using false names and addresses, then used the money to buy a secret house in his girlfriend's name....reckoned it was pretty untraceable.

He reckoned that he'd get caught eventually and would admit to spending the m,oney on booze and holidays, and receive a sentence of 18 months in jail. He reasoned that this would be a fair cop and he'd be willing to do the time, a good value outcome (he never got caught).

This guy Thomson cleared about $270,000, has been caught repeatedly bleating, lying, crying, accusing other people and falsifying documents, then been destroyed in court by evidence and prostitutes.

I'm amazed how many people over here have got the front to mount scurrilous defences when they're obvious fraudsters. When you see the punishments they hand out you can see why....it's worth doing !

Yes but what can he do if the girlfriend dumps him and keeps the house. Hiding assets under another person's name is a risky business.

Yes but what can he do if the girlfriend dumps him and keeps the house. Hiding assets under another person's name is a risky business.

You weigh up the risk and costs and make your choice I guess.

This Thomson knew what he was doing, he made his choice and got caught. Hasn't got the guts to hold up his hands though.

Guest Guest66881
I always find it amusing that wives stand by them. Mrs Thomson says Craig is a wonderful husband and father.

Yeah that good he goes off spending other peoples money on hookers and drink, though she got to spend some of it so it's all good.

I have worked in both the public and voluntary sectors. I have no doubt that had I stolen $25,000 from taxpayers or members then I would have been sacked, would have my reputation in tatters, and would have been jailed.

Thompson's sentence seems very light to me, and the idea that he should be spared prison because he has lost his job is specious - almost all people who are jailed will lose their jobs. His lack of remorse is breathtaking and taking this to appeal is just wasting more money - both his own and the taxpayers. Plus he will now spend 8 months worrying about prison rather than just getting it done with. He should have learned from Chris Huhne - when the game's up, admit it and take your punishment.

Former federal MP Craig Thomson will spend three months in jail for spending union funds on prostitutes and personal expenses.

Thomson has been sentenced to 12 months' jail, nine months of which are suspended for two years.

He has been bailed pending an appeal, set down for November 24.

In sentencing, Magistrate Charlie Rozencwajg was scathing of Thomson's conduct.

Will he need the credit card inside?

Archived