Refused smear test dead at 19

Guest Guest66881

England is 25 the rest of the UK is 20. Stupid the gap 5 years difference.

That's ridiculous, do they even have an actual reason for the difference? I thought it was 21 in Scotland for some reason so I was even later for it than I thought. I'm glad I've had it though and it's negative. That's me for another three years apparently. The girl in the beside me in hospital had it and she said she was only a few years late for her test too. It's scary! It's not the nicest thing to go through but it doesn't take long at all. It's so worth it

Hi.As a GP in the UK you can only do smear tests on women 25yrs and over.If you sent one to the lab before this age they destroy them.Only way to get it done earlier is to pay privately.This is another example of the Nhs rationing and privatisation by stealth.This is one of the reasons I am moving to aus as am sick of working as a GP iN this system.apologies for rant, jan

Hi.As a GP in the UK you can only do smear tests on women 25yrs and over.If you sent one to the lab before this age they destroy them.Only way to get it done earlier is to pay privately.This is another example of the Nhs rationing and privatisation by stealth.This is one of the reasons I am moving to aus as am sick of working as a GP iN this system.apologies for rant, jan

Thank you for clarifying xx

I was merely pointing out the rationale for the current guidelines on cervical screening. I also said I think 25 is too late. Women receive an invite for age 25 and many don't get round to actually having the test until another couple of years have passed. In the UK boys are not yet given the hpv vaccine and I have no idea when they will, so I would agree that it's better to be in Aus for young people today. Interestingly, since the HPV vaccine was introduced in Australia research shows diagnosis of genital warts have reduced. So there is an additional benefit to young people having the vaccine.

No disrespect to you @kellyv but not testing until that age is just darn ridiculous. Also what percentage if not treated did turn abnormal?

ffs one minute we are getting told early detection is better, now your saying, nah leave it, it will get better!!

Sorry nurse Kelly, but your post reads just like an Nhs throw out document, and having worked for the NHS for many a year, the last people I would believe are their spin doctors.

TBF kellyv says she thinks the age should be lower. Having three daughters all under 20, I agree with her and you, but as she also says, there are reasons why 25 is the present cut off age and they are reasonable when you have to consider the cost against the relative risk.

I'm not saying that I agree on a personal level, but can see that it's a difficult balance when spending public money. It's absolutely devastating that this young woman lost her life unnecessarily for something which should have been treatable, but it should have been her clinical symptoms which should have been taken notice of and acted on, rather than blaming the screening programme which works for the vast majority of women, especially now we have an immunisation which should reduce further the number of women affected.

On a personal level I do think that young women who are sexually active should be tested, but if there are abnormalities they should be monitored rather than treated which is what I think happens (it's a whole since I was involved in this area). Most minor/moderate abnormalities do resolve themselves, so women who show these changes should be retested every three to six months to monitor progress. There are risks, as kellyv pointed out, to treating changes which would probably resolve spontaneously.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by fifi69 viewpost-right.png

Of course I have strong feelings....but no disrepect to Kelly for sure. I'm sure she is just towing the NHS line. I too worked for the NHS for 11 years before moving to Oz . I loved my job, but I will still stand stand that things need to be changed. Would you like to go thru losing someone just because the government refused to aknowledge they had it wrong?

It happens all the time, cancer drugs that aren't available here yet, tests that for probably good reason don't start till older ages. I'm sure men less than 40 die of prostate cancer as they don't have checks till that age, but it's risk vs cost and reward. The risk is very low, same with this poor girl. Yes she should have been tested and maybe the doctors should've pointed them towards a private test if there was a reason the nhs couldn't do it. It wouldn't have cost that much realistically. It's a very sad state of affairs but hopefully with vaccination it will be a thing of the past soon.

This is a very sad case indeed. I am a sexual health nurse and agree that the age for first tests should be lower than 25 however there are reasons why this guidance was introduced. Many young women were having unnecessary treatments to the cervix, following mild abnormalities detected, which, if left untreated would have returned to normal without intervention. Unnecessary treatment can cause scarring and may increase the risk of miscarriage in pregnant women. If there are concerns someone has symptoms of cervical cancer then women may be referred to gynaecologists directly for assessment and treatment. Hopefully one day the age for screening will be reduced again in the uk. With the immunisation of young girls now routine then hopefully cervical cancer cases will be rare in the future. Also, I have to point out...if a women attends the gp/practice nurse/community clinic in England and a smear test is performed the laboratory will not process it on someone below the age of 24y 6 months even if it has been taken.

getting the facts is so much more benficial than sensational headlines designed to grab everyones attention.....this just gives us all another reason to reinforce why we quite or are quitting the UK.....a country riddled with immigrants, greedy over indulgent dignitaries and sexual predators preying on our young.....to now be made aware the NHS, the bedrock of the british healthcare system is also a complete waste of space and nothing more than a waiting room for the diseased, sick and dying is so refreshing.

I am absolutely positive that I was invited for my first smear when I was 21, so things have changed in the last twenty years. It seems like the age is too high now but we also should take care not to have a knee jerk reaction. The country has to set policy based on medical facts and statistics not one very sad story, this isolated incident does not mean every 16 year old in the country needs a smear test. I am struggling with the fact that a smear test was not provided here and rules are so rigid. I would have paid myself if I was that sure I needed one.

I am absolutely positive that I was invited for my first smear when I was 21, so things have changed in the last twenty years. It seems like the age is too high now but we also should take care not to have a knee jerk reaction. The country has to set policy based on medical facts and statistics not one very sad story, this isolated incident does not mean every 16 year old in the country needs a smear test. I am struggling with the fact that a smear test was not provided here and rules are so rigid. I would have paid myself if I was that sure I needed one.

I was invited for my first smear test in 2005 after I had my first baby (aged 20). Had them regular ever since and I encourage people to have them. Luckily for me all mine have come back clear but I know people who have had to under go further procedures.

With all the symptoms that poor girl had I cannot understand how anyone (gp, laboratory, government) can allow this sort of incident to happen. It's disgusting and I hope (but doubt) things change.

Yeah I don't remember us having the option of that when I was at school but my younger cousin had it. I'm just glad my results were negative today and I don't need to worry for 3 years. My mum is so late for hers, I'm going to drag her to the doctor for it it I need to

This story is a tragedy and it is apauling that a smear wasn't done.

I had a smear well before 25. Why have they changed it? I think she must not have seen very good doctors cos I am pretty sure most Doctors would have sent her for a smear. Poor girl. 25 is way too old. ​s it because of the vaccination? Is that why they have changed it?

oh ok just caught up with the other posts. I am sure I had mine before 20. Gosh I don't know. Recently I heard of a girl who died tragically in our town from cervical cancer. Found out when she was pregnant, declined treatment to save her baby and died when the baby was 2. Gosh it is really awful this cancer demon. love and hope to all living with cancer or it's repercussions. x x

I am gobsmacked a first world country manages screening in the way described by the article and on this thread. Are Thinprep tests even offered in the UK?

For any ladies in Aust not already aware you can request a Thinprep test when you go for your Pap. It costs around $25 from memory but don't quote me on that because I don't take much notice of the account when it comes in. If you haven't heard about Thinprep tests this link has some info.

http://www.thinprep.com.au/info/aus-cervical-screening/types-pap-tests.cfm

However I think the thing that has shocked me the most about this story (if my understanding of the info on this thread is correct) is that the Pap test is available to under 25's if you are willing to pay for it but people appear unwilling to persue tests that aren't free (funded by taxes)? That just does my head in but would explain the number of people on PIO asking about bulk billing doctors in Aust (who are really there to provide a safety net for poor people rather than migrants who don't want to pay their way).

I am gobsmacked a first world country manages screening in the way described by the article and on this thread. Are Thinprep tests even offered in the UK?

For any ladies in Aust not already aware you can request a Thinprep test when you go for your Pap. It costs around $25 from memory but don't quote me on that because I don't take much notice of the account when it comes in. If you haven't heard about Thinprep tests this link has some info.

http://www.thinprep.com.au/info/aus-cervical-screening/types-pap-tests.cfm

However I think the thing that has shocked me the most about this story (if my understanding of the info on this thread is correct) is that the Pap test is available to under 25's if you are willing to pay for it but people appear unwilling to persue tests that aren't free (funded by taxes)? That just does my head in but would explain the number of people on PIO asking about bulk billing doctors in Aust (who are really there to provide a safety net for poor people rather than migrants who don't want to pay their way).

Yes, two liquid based cytology methods are used - Thinprep and Surepath.

This explains quite well why 25 is the starting age. There's obviously research going on in medicine all the time, so maybe it'll change again in the future.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-help/type/cervical-cancer/about/cervical-cancer-screening

Also, it's important to note, cytology screening tests are just that. Screening tests. They are not diagnostic. Individuals who are symptomatic and cervical cancer is suspected should be referred to a gynaecologist for further assessment, not just offered a smear test.

Yep - in the mid 1980s I was routinely tested by my NHS GP at 22.

• 1 month later...

Archived