Transfering money

emmab1995

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can transfer money from your Aussie account to an english one ,,, we bank with anz and my dad barclays i tried to transfer money into his account but got a letter the other day saying that anz didnt recognize the account and that the bank of new zealand said there was no such account ... well thats because it was a barclays account ....

So was wondering if anyone knows if there is a bank in Aus that you can transfer money from into an english account ...any help would be great thanks :biggrin:

It's called a SWIFT code (sometimes a BIC code). All Australian banks can transfer money to UK or other International bank accounts, you just need the SWIFT code. I'm pretty sure I found the Lloyds SWIFT code on their website so imagine Barclays would be the same. Once you have done the transfer via internet banking you can save the info and do it more easily next time. Only annoyance is the transfer fee!

Edited by Aunt Agatha

Hi

It's also worth mentioning that depending on the amount you wish to transfer, you will get a much better rate and pay less commission if you use a money transfer company such as Moneycorp. I believe there is no fee if you are a member on PIO and you go through Moneycorp.

Mrs K x

Thanks so much guys ..... so i only need the code for the english bank account then , and all should be ok ??

Yes that's right Emma, just click "international transfer" once you're logged in to your internet banking and it will take you through it step by step.

Aggi go to NAB's website, they will have a list of phone numbers including one for if you are ringing them from overseas.

I phoned my UK bank and they gave me the codes (I also bank with ANZ here). I normally use Halo finance for transfers but last time they said as it was a smaller amount I was cheaper just going throught the bank rather than them, so it depends on the amount you want to transfer...

Thanks so much guys .... i did it this morning but only $100.00 to see if it works lol i got charged $24.00 on top and my dad gets 51 pound ..... but me and the kids move back in july and hubby is staying here doing fifo so i will be transfering about $5,000 a mth then, am i still better doing it through the banks do you think???

Guest The Pom Queen
Trying to contact NAB in the UK no reply to emails anyone know how to get in touch.

Send me a pm and I will give you an email address of someone who can help

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks so much guys .... i did it this morning but only $100.00 to see if it works lol i got charged $24.00 on top and my dad gets 51 pound ..... but me and the kids move back in july and hubby is staying here doing fifo so i will be transfering about $5,000 a mth then, am i still better doing it through the banks do you think???

No, like the others have said use Moneycorp, it is free transfers to pio members so you wouldn't be charged the $24 plus you would get a better exchange rate check here http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-transfer-ask-moneycorp/197057-moneycorp-launches-fee-free-australian-currency-service-poms-oz.html#post1936340859

In regards to timing. Do I get it right that if the AUD gets stronger, you get more pounds for 1AUD?

So if China and AU are doing great, you probably get more bang for your buck. When there is negative news on China/AU or very positive news on the UK, you will get less pounds for a dollar, right?

I have been looking at this (mainly from an AUD/EUR point of view).

We transfered our money at 1.25. If we transfer now at 1.55 we would have lost 20k Euro just by that F... currency trading :(

Guest BrisbaneBevan

Moneycorp may state it is a free service, but there is nothing, in reality, in the Forex markets that is for free. They may buy/sell your currency at a slightly different rate than another that charges £25 for the deal. Best to compare and see what your net payment will be. An alternative is Foreign Currency Direct. I have used them many times, and had excellent value. PM me for a contact.

one thing for sure, as others have stated - the banks give you a much lower exchange rate when you do it direct.