Sacked for having an appointment!

silencio

Hi guys,

just want to share some news with you. Unfortunately, bad ones.

My hubby had an appointment last week and asked his old employer to go earlier which was approved by the supervisor but later dismissed by the manager. He usually started work at 6 am (unskilled labour work in the automotive industry though he's a skilled fitter and turner) and wanted to go after 1 pm, 1 1/2 hours before his shift ends.

I've to add that he's employed at a Recruitment company and here in Adelaide are hundreds of applicants for the same jobs. Due to doing TAFE in the evening he cannot do overtime and weekend shifts (company often asked him to do so).

But sacked for going a little bit earlier seems to me like South Australia is the new slave and day labour centre!

Sorry for being cynical but this new situation upsets me completely.

To make things worse I've to reduce my working hours because of this in order to get my hubby some centrelink benefits. I'm not willing paying lots of taxes here and then they don't care about my husbands situation his former employer puts him into.

He was working for them since December last year. Not that long.

He also was hired through a recruitment company and 'borrowed' to that particular company on a casual basis. Unfortunately, nothing we can do about.

The reason for going earlier was a job interview he had, of course he didn't tell this reason to anybody. Let's hope that he'll hear from them.

Welcome to the Brave New World of work. Sadly your husband would have still been under the probation period or perhaps employed as casual or part time or whatever jargon his employer choose to employ him under.

Not a lot can be done. I have witnessed managers behave worse in fact. Tough world out there in the working place and bound to get far more so. Hope your husband has luck finding further employment.

Guest Guest40285

Sorry about his job eh, The Aussie work place is becoming more and more casual, and when your a casual you basically have no rights and can be sacked on the spot, hope something else comes along soon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

hubby got the job :biggrin:I just want to share the good news after my recent negative thread. Sometimes it worth to take the gamble. One door shuts another door opened!

Actually we've never expected that he got it, so much the more a positive swing.

Also the recruitment company sent him a text message, he could come back *ha, ha*. Australia is the country full of surprises...when you least expect any...

Guest Guest40285
Hi everybody,

hubby got the job :biggrin:I just want to share the good news after my recent negative thread. Sometimes it worth to take the gamble. One door shuts another door opened!

Actually we've never expected that he got it, so much the more a positive swing.

Also the recruitment company sent him a text message, he could come back *ha, ha*. Australia is the country full of surprises...when you least expect any...

Thats great news, I was wondering what happened, Good on him, Happy days.

Hi everybody,

Fabulous news. :-)