Do you have an Australian will?

abz123

OH is nagging me because we still haven't had a will written since we moved over almost 4 years ago.

We still have a UK one but given that all our assets and our daughter are in Australia we (I !!) really need to get on top of this should anything unfortunate happen to either of us.

Have you had one done, roughly how much did it cost and would you recommend any solicitors NOR in Perth to use?

Just looking for the simple "either or survivor" type of thing with provisions written in for our daughter should we be in the unfortunate position that she is orphaned.

Not really a nice thought but I'd like to have the bases covered rather than leave these things to chance for another four years.

I saw in the Australian post office the other day that you can by Will forms ... one for a couple and one for singles ...when I lived in the UK we used a Will form bought from the post office in the UK for my Aunt ... perfectly legal ... when she died the solicitor looked at it and said " it does what it says on the tin " ... her Will was very simple , just a property and belongings ... I don't know if you have a more complicated one that includes children or maybe shares etc you would be better off going to a solicitor ... the UK Will form was £9.00 ... single Australian post office one $22 ... couples one $32 ...

Thanks, Bottler.

I was more hoping to take a copy of the UK one to a solicitor and have them "Australianise" it for me.

That's what we're doing next Friday - but in Adelaide so doesn't help you much! I will let you know what it costs after we've been though, in case you still need to know!

Make sure you leave a clear will, my father in law passed away 15 months ago, no will. Assets are still frozen.

My husband passed away 10 yrs ago, sudden heart attack, unexpected. Fortunately we had both made wills and everything was straight forward.

Please make a will, even a home made one from the post office is better than nothing.

Metoo

Make sure you leave a clear will, my father in law passed away 15 months ago, no will. Assets are still frozen.

My husband passed away 10 yrs ago, sudden heart attack, unexpected. Fortunately we had both made wills and everything was straight forward.

Please make a will, even a home made one from the post office is better than nothing.

Metoo

Good advice, thanks.

The other one most people are guilty of (myself included) is failing to have made a binding death nomination on their Super fund.

Even though you want your OH to receive the fund if anything happens to you, if you don't specify this upfront then you can have the same situation as Metoo's father in law where it gets frozen for months (or longer). If this is the money that would pay the mortgage you can imagine the distress it could cause if the roof over your family's head was to be at risk.

OH is nagging me because we still haven't had a will written since we moved over almost 4 years ago.

We still have a UK one but given that all our assets and our daughter are in Australia we (I !!) really need to get on top of this should anything unfortunate happen to either of us.

Have you had one done, roughly how much did it cost and would you recommend any solicitors NOR in Perth to use?

Just looking for the simple "either or survivor" type of thing with provisions written in for our daughter should we be in the unfortunate position that she is orphaned.

Not really a nice thought but I'd like to have the bases covered rather than leave these things to chance for another four years.

No, but I should .. not that we have anything to leave, but wouldn't want the kid or OH to have the hassle of fighting for what's theirs.

My OH mum has lived with her partner for years..he has a lot of assets but refuses to make a will.. even in the face of his relatives whom he doesnt like. If he goes I shudder to think that she will get not a cent and the rellies get all.. plus she may have shell out to find a place to live all by herself..

My brother, who is single, was informed that should he pass away intestate then all his assets would be taken by the government. He found this out around 10 years ago and maybe the law has changed since but he now has an up to date will so that everything he has worked for does not go into the governments bottomless pit of taxation.