Medicals - the weigh in

M1cha3la

Apologise if this has been asked before. But how strict are they with weight at medicals? Will you fail for being over weight?

We have ours booked for the end of Feb, which is sooner than I hoped as I need to loose a few lbs :goofy:

Edited by M1cha3la
Date change

I asked this question a while ago. I was reassured and told that it should be ok. I suppose the medical may be referred for an additional glance, but it seems that most get through afterwards. I am a prop forward so would need to lose a leg or two to reduce it enough!

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would post an update as we had our medicals today. I was so nervous and it was so unfounded, hopefully this will help anyone else who is nervous :wubclub:

We were booked in at Manchester. I can confirm as advised by many on here, it is lovely. We arrived 10 mins before our appointment and was taken straight through. First we had photos, height and weight done. This was all fine - was nervous about the weigh in, need not of been.

Then we had a chat with the Dr, just running through basic questions, any cancer, surgeries ect. Then it was a check up including blood pressure, reflexes and sight - which is just reading off a standard eye chart. He told us there and then everything was fine.

Next was blood tests and chest x-rays which are what they say on the tin really.

All in all we were in there 40 mins max. The staff are lovely and made us so relaxed. Definitely recommend this clinic :wubclub:

Edited by M1cha3la

Good luck Vanduex, I am sure you will all be fine :wubclub:

Manchester has a 24 - 48 hour turn around time which is great compared to the others we rang, which all said around a week. So hopefully everything will be uploaded and ready for when we get allocated a CO :cute:

Edited by M1cha3la

Good luck Vanduex, I am sure you will all be fine :wubclub:

Manchester has a 24 - 48 hour turn around time which is great compared to the others we rang, which all said around a week. So hopefully everything will be uploaded and ready for when we get allocated a CO :cute:

Not sure about turn around time, really interesting point though!! I am gonna research!

Not sure about turn around time, really interesting point though!! I am gonna research!

I rang Birmingham Spires clinic who said 1 week and one of the ones in London (am thinking Berkshire) who said 7 - 10 working days. We booked Manchester as not only was it cheaper but has the quick turn around. The doctor said today the bloods would be done over night so he would submit tomorrow most likely. Happy days :cute: Where are you booked in? Sorry, Ignore that just saw you are in Maidenhead.. Hopefully they will have a quick turn around too :cute:

Edited by M1cha3la
Updating clinic name

Hi vanduex we had our medicals at Maidenhead on Friday and they told us it takes about 4 working days to upload results so we will soon see by Thursday. The nurse also said that weight isn't really an issue for an Australian visa it's only an issue with new Zealand and Canada. Hope this helps :biggrin:

I had mine yesterday and at 37 weeks pregnant they didn't seem to make any reference to the fact I weigh as much as a baby elephant - my weight, blood pressure and height were also not recorded by the nurse so when the Doctor saw me she just asked if I remembered the results and wrote down what I advised her - so pretty relaxed really!

hi all, we had our medicals yesterday at manchester medmigration at 1pm. I myself am overweight but wasnt a problem at all as woke up this morning to the grant letter so we are so happy. good luck everyone

Cheers for the update. Ours are tomorrow in Maidenhead. Will update once done! :) Hope that you hear soon!

I went to Maidenhead in December. Identical experience to Michaela in Manchester. Very smooth and well organised. Doctor was really nice. You get passed from one person and place to another and they check your details often and also take a photo of you for identity verification.

Also got the all clear on the day with the exception of the blood test obviously but I knew that would not be an issue.

Good luck today.

Just thought I would post an update as we had our medicals today. I was so nervous and it was so unfounded, hopefully this will help anyone else who is nervous :wubclub:

We were booked in at Manchester. I can confirm as advised by many on here, it is lovely. We arrived 10 mins before our appointment and was taken straight through. First we had photos, height and weight done. This was all fine - was nervous about the weigh in, need not of been.

Then we had a chat with the Dr, just running through basic questions, any cancer, surgeries ect. Then it was a check up including blood pressure, reflexes and sight - which is just reading off a standard eye chart. He told us there and then everything was fine.

Next was blood tests and chest x-rays which are what they say on the tin really.

All in all we were in there 40 mins max. The staff are lovely and made us so relaxed. Definitely recommend this clinic :wubclub:

Wasn't Dr Million was it ? as he`s a friend of the family ..........was so pleased we used him as I was panicking as I was a heavy smoker then ........well had just stoped .....they found Gall stones in mrs tonyman and quietly mention her weight but not an big issue ..........knowing what I know now , I would not worry at all ...........x

I weight A LOT MORE than recommended. I lost about 10kg between August and when I had my medical (December) which helped lower my blood pressure quite a bit but BMI is still no way even at waving distance of acceptable/normal. But medicals weren't questioned or referred (I have no other issues which I guess might have helped).

Apologise if this has been asked before. But how strict are they with weight at medicals? Will you fail for being over weight?

We have ours booked for the end of Feb, which is sooner than I hoped as I need to loose a few lbs :goofy:

I think the medicals are really scary because the end is in sight...it's one of the last hurdles. My OH had cancer 18 months before we did our medicals, and although not a serious form (caught very early) it is one that is very likely to recur. They couldn't comment because they don't make the decision, but they did reassure us wonderfully. We had to wait an extra couple of weeks for his medical to clear, but it was fine in the end. We went to Maidenhead and I couldn't recommend them highly enough. Were fab with the kids too! :smile:

• 2 months later...

I am so pleased to read this thread! I have my medical booked for tomorrow (30th April) at Manchester with Dr Smith, and with a BMI of around 45 I have been worried to death about failing! I have been monitoring my blood pressure at home & even bought a diabetic blood glucose monitor to check all will be ok! Thankfully everything has always been fine, but I know I wont sleep tonight! Its an awful lot of money & dreams riding on this move for us & our 3 children! I can't wait to have a glass of wine & an Easter egg tomorrow when its all over! :)