457 and Redundancy

Rock Hound

Hi All

Well i have just had the news through i am being made redundant from the beginning of next month. Now when i originally got the visa you had 28 days to find new work after my current contract was finished. However i have been in contact with an agent who says i have 90 days, is this now correct? They must have changed it and i was not informed. If my visa grant was before this change i take it that it was applied to old 457 visas as well?

Cheers

Paul

Sorry to hear that. Its happening a lot and there isnt much out there. I met up with couple of mates at Christmas who were laid off last March from Newcrest. One hasnt had even an interview (senior geo with 20 years experience), the other a junior with 3 years but a masters from CODES and he has just managed to get a 1 month contract, but its sat on a rig and all their offering is minimum wage!

I am still in Africa but even here the jobs have dried up.

You have your 90 days now which is better than the 28 it used to be, but i think you will have to be pretty lucky to get something in 90 days in the current market.

Paul, sorry to hear that. Ive just lost my job 2day, absolutley devastated. 90days suddenly seems like no time

@ all 2 secure another job. Its very scary, i know wot ur going through. Jess

Oh ****, Jess. Was waiting for you to update your thread. Had my fingers crossed for you but obviously your chat didn't't go the way you'd hoped.

Thank you all for the support, i was sort of expecting it and in the end it is probably for the best as the last few months haven't been the best experience (i was already looking for a new job). 90 days makes it easier but the major coincidence is that it is the same day as when my rental agreement is up. I was looking to move but it does make me think if i will need a place in a few months.

Are you eligible for a WHV? It would buy you time. Getting a new sponsor at the moment is going to be almost impossible and geologist has gone schedule 2 on the WA list - meaning you can only get state sponsorship if you have a job. But a WHV would at least give you more time

Yh abz123 it was a nightmare tbh. Thinking of taking legal advice so i can get a decent reference, they have told me i would be getting a bad reference which will make it hard to get a job anywhere else, may as well kiss goodbye to my career.

Yh abz123 it was a nightmare tbh. Thinking of taking legal advice so i can get a decent reference, they have told me i would be getting a bad reference which will make it hard to get a job anywhere else, may as well kiss goodbye to my career.
You cant force them to write you a good reference no matter how much legal advice you take. Mistakes do happen and I am sorry you lost your job, if you cause too much upset, they may refuse a reference altogether! Have they always been happy with your work previously, did this mistake give them an excuse to get rid of you within your probation if they were not happy with you previously? Maybe they have to take action if the parents have found out and are putting pressure on the hospital, I know I would not be happy if someone gave my child the wrong medication and I would want answers.

If they company have acted unreasonably or outside of their policies, you still have access to Fair Work, even though you're on a 457. Are you in a union?

Do you have any experience in non-rig sort of work, especially engineering/geotech, environmental work or lab management /construction materials testing? We have issues getting people to our Darwin office and there's a vacancy there at the moment

Do you have any experience in non-rig sort of work, especially engineering/geotech, environmental work or lab management /construction materials testing? We have issues getting people to our Darwin office and there's a vacancy there at the moment

I believe the op is a nurse. :-/

Hi Eera

I have a mate who has enviro and some geo engineering (also hydro) who is desperate for work. Could you pm me the company details and i will pass them along

The problem with a WHV i that i originally came over on one and used a little over 7 months and isn't there a cooling off period or something? Yes i am a geologist and although i have supervised an onsite lab it was basic and only ran 1 type of analytic test.

To be entitled to a second year you would have to have done at least three months of approved work in a regional area. I think there is a link to the accepted jobs on the sticky at the top of the migration section.

Archived