Would you buy a house in a bush fire prone area?

northshorepom

Just musing.....

Saw a house yesterday that we loved, ticks every box for us. BUT it is on the edge of the ridge overlooking the bush. Are we OK with putting a bid in for it? I think so, and we probably will do tomorrow

.....if we don't, we've got another house to see tomorrow morning. It's also on the edge of the bush

Would it scare you off?

To be very honest YES in fact we sold a place for that very reason. Insurance is becoming VERY expencive for homes in fire and flood areas in fact some insurance companies will simply not insure you. Aus is drying out and fire risks are increasing. Many councils have very strict rules as to how much area you can clear around your house. We lived on tenter hooks every summer, it may be 10 years or more between every fire but it the not knowing that gets to you. Temp rises winds picked up and the stress levels start to go up. If you are going to buy you must be fully prepared each and every fire season. Forget "staying" to fight its just to dangerous. Mentaly accept the house could 'go' have a very well prepared fire plan and this needs to include any pets or larger animals or collecting kids from schools. Remember power often goes off in a bush fire. One thing to really look at is access to and from the house. Is there a good road with plenty of easy access. Many of these on the edge properties (like the one we sold) have one road in and one road out and easy to get trapped. Prior to summer there is a lot of work to do, are you physically and mentally prepare for this, gutters to be cleaned, leaves and fallen branches etc to be cleared from the house yard. No bark covered garden beds up close to the house either as they burn, no branches over hanging the house. It is a very different life. So much to love about it but it is hard physically and mentally if a bad fire starts.

I live in Mount Macedon Victoria. On Ash Wednesday 1983, my whole street disappeared, so we all live in post 1983 houses. On a fire rating scale it is an extreme area but there has not been a fire for 30 years. It means that every fire is jumped on quickly and we are probably safer than a lot of other people. Fire management and science has also come a long way.

It does not seem to affect house prices or saleability apart from some hesitation to buy in the summer when people are more aware.

If you are comfortable with it, then you will be fine. Obviously if it is going to keep either of you awake at night then don't do it. You will become quite aware of fire and need to be sensible about clearing out if you feel that's best on a hot windy day.

You are obviously attracted to bush views and space and it does go hand in hand with an increased bushfire risk. You will need to get used to anxious British relatives checking on your welfare whenever a major fire erupts, even 500 miles away!

No would not live next to bush I have lived in Aus too long and seen what fires can do to actually choose to live in a bush prone area, however that is a serious bush fire prone area, as I believe that everywhere in Aus is a bush prone area where there is any open countryside.

However its all about minimisation of risk for me.

I live in Mount Macedon Victoria. On Ash Wednesday 1983, my whole street disappeared, so we all live in post 1983 houses. On a fire rating scale it is an extreme area but there has not been a fire for 30 years. It means that every fire is jumped on quickly and we are probably safer than a lot of other people. Fire management and science has also come a long way.

It does not seem to affect house prices or saleability apart from some hesitation to buy in the summer when people are more aware.

If you are comfortable with it, then you will be fine. Obviously if it is going to keep either of you awake at night then don't do it. You will become quite aware of fire and need to be sensible about clearing out if you feel that's best on a hot windy day.

You are obviously attracted to bush views and space and it does go hand in hand with an increased bushfire risk. You will need to get used to anxious British relatives checking on your welfare whenever a major fire erupts, even 500 miles away!

I agree in Vic and NSW there is a new attitude of "hit it hard and hit it fast" since black saturday, BUT what if there are a lot of fires and resources become stretched ? The CFA state - dont rely on a fire truck being there to help. What of areas where they are short on resources to fight a fire ? What if you are both at work and cant get back to collect those special things you treasure ? From Sep to end of March we never left the house in the car with out wire cutters, a box with special things and a suitcase with 3 days worth of clean clothes. Sure you can ask a neighbour to get your dog or horse out if it happens when you are at work but what if they are out and cant get back to save your animals? Just saying a lot to consider. Mt Macedon is stunningly beautiful have to say that.

I grew up in a bushfire prone area in a property that backed onto the bush and most of the properties we have owned since leaving home have backed onto national parks / state forests etc. You just have to be sensible and aware of what's going on.

These days it is much easier to protect your home than it used to be as well. I remember dad putting chicken wire in the gutters when I was little to keep leaf litter out whereas we have bushfire rated ember guards in ours, bushfire rated windows and a bushfire rated sprinkler system that can defend the house on its own for three to four days against ember attack or full on fire (you do need a large and reliable independent water supply for that level of protection though). Our bushfire plan is set the system to defend the house and leave early - but only if there is an actual fire. We don't leave on days of extreme danger unless something is on fire.

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that during the Canberra fire storms our home was OK but many living in the suburbs lost their homes and in some cases their lives. Not living next the the bush doesn't mean you will never lose your house - it may mean you are more complacent about the risks though.

I would buy the property, make it as safe as you can and enjoy making it a happy home where your children make wonderful memories.

No, I don't think I would. Having been through one big fire and been in several fire grounds immediately post event has scared the pants off me. Sure, you can do all the fire prevention stuff but, quite frankly, they're like p***ing in the wind if a big one comes. There is often no rhyme nor reason why some homes are hit and others not (vividly remember the big stone house reduced to ash right beside a weatherboard with tin roof untouched!) and with all the stupid Green regulations you can never do the clearing that would give you the best chance of surviving. Sometimes those who do it toughest are the ones whose homes aren't burnt when all around them is a sea of destruction for months or years. Insurance in those areas is becoming prohibitive too.

Of course the Fire Services are going to hop on to fires threatening communities but sometimes the conditions get away from them. If you're a gambling man then you'd probably say your chances of not getting hit were better than being hit but it is just that, a gamble. I'd be looking to see if the area had been hit before - the Canberra fires for example followed a trajectory almost identical to one 50 years earlier but, even then, there are virgin fires.

Guest The Pom Queen

Yes I would. Although check you can get insurance first and how much it is. We are surrounded by trees although its rainforest, but the insurance was a struggle, we paid $650 in Melbourne up here 95% wouldn't touch us and the ones who would wanted between $10,000 - $25,000 we managed to get ours down to $2500 but have a $5,000 excess.

Yes, in fact the house we did buy backs on to national park and is in a bushfire prone area. We thought about it very carefully before we bought the house, and decided that the actual risk was so low, that it was worth it to live in this beautiful place. I don't think that we would have been as happy in the middle of suburbia as we are here, right on the outskirts, and we decided that we couldn't sacrifice that for such a small risk.

ETA: We never had any trouble in getting insurance. We do pay for a good policy that covers for unlimited re-build costs though.

Edited by LKC

Well I guess when you realise that a hell of alot of people in Oz do take that risk?Lets face it,everyone living in a country town,out bush,or in burbs on the outskirts of a city are all at risk!I lived in a small country town,pop 1,500 and yes scary at times when the town fire siren used to sound off.I'd go out on my front verandah with a worried expression on my face to see if I could see smoke!I did'nt live in constant fear though! I think if it were me,I would head back to where the house is,talk to some people,maybe head for the nearest pub/shops and get the gist of what other people are thinking.I personally could not live in a burb,so yes I would take the risk.

I would take the risk, if you are sensible and follow the fire prevention advice, (Clean gutters, keep ground clear of fuel) then you should be relatively safe. People live in Cyclone areas, others live in flood risk areas. There are not many places where you do not have some form of risk. I lived on top of a hill 30meters above the water with no risk of fire or flood. We felt very safe and secure.... Then we were hit by a bloody tornado.... It does not matter where you live there will be some form of risk. if you like it there, then go for it.

My son has evacuated at the moment and squatting in our suburban house, hosting two other families who have also evacuated. They're all pretty sanguine about it and quite sensible as they've got out! I think they all have well equipped fire shelters on their properties just in case but in their case they live IN the bush, not in suburbia on the edge of it.

Edited by Quoll

I don't think it will put us off - it is at the edge of suburbia as mentioned above, very very easy to get out by two roads, neither of which are through bush so no worries on that front. I checked out insurance today and that's not a massive drama either

We love it up there (where both houses are) - up on the ridge overlooking the NP, feels like you're on top of the world, you can easily forget you're in Sydney although it's only a 5-10 minute cycle ride down to the train

Thanks all

Hi

Just a thought but if the houses you are looking at need external work doing on them or you want to extend / build a deck etc the regulations are pretty tight in bush fire zones so you would want to cost in spending (possibly quite a lot) more on your renovations. Having rented looking out over the bush I would definitely buy. Gorgeous wildlife coming to visit, just wonderful!

Guest The Pom Queen
I don't think it will put us off - it is at the edge of suburbia as mentioned above, very very easy to get out by two roads, neither of which are through bush so no worries on that front. I checked out insurance today and that's not a massive drama either

We love it up there (where both houses are) - up on the ridge overlooking the NP, feels like you're on top of the world, you can easily forget you're in Sydney although it's only a 5-10 minute cycle ride down to the train

Thanks all

Sounds fantastic and if insurance isn't a drama go for it. I would do like we have though, make sure you have an emergency kit. We have a box and in that box is all our paperwork, passports, insurance, wedding photos and some cash so if we need to get out fast we just pick up the box and go.

Sounds ideal Northshore,I think I'd go for it!On a deeper level we're all living at risk where ever we live!You risk your life just crossing a street right?Or driving your car,or riding your bike!Why should living in a house on the edge of a NP be any diff?Good luck hon and please let us know how the offer went?:jiggy:

Nothing to do with the question.

but weve been talking to builders last week about building a house.

It apparently adds $20,000 onto the price of a new build for the extras that they have to do if building in a bush fire risk area.

For that price I would want a fire truck outside the house 24/7 :err:

we are in the Dandenong ranges (made famous by the ash Wednesday & black Saturday bushfires) and we are contemplating moving to down size but we are definitely staying in the area.

Yes the risks are always there, but the extra living space, nature, views, community spirit, and of course affordability (just to name the main reasons) far outweigh the possible risk IMO.

We have a rental unit on the property, and nearly all new arrivals would love to stay in the area if it were possible, so far 2 families have stayed in the town, and another moved just down the road out to the edge of the dandenongs.

Sounds fantastic and if insurance isn't a drama go for it. I would do like we have though, make sure you have an emergency kit. We have a box and in that box is all our paperwork, passports, insurance, wedding photos and some cash so if we need to get out fast we just pick up the box and go.

leading up to, plus the week that followed black Saturday, we had the car packed with the essential paperwork, photos etc and laptops etc could be grabbed last minute and we just listened to the emergency radio in the background all the time. (I also got out of bed at 1-2am to check each night for wind changes or fires that changed direction)

life went on as normal for us and the whole town until the risk had subsided enough to not worry about it.

I've talked to my wife about this a few times. We've had some pretty serious fires the last few weeks in Perth with quite a few homes lost. Unfortunately a lot of the fires are deliberately started too.

We both agreed that we couldn't live in a fire prone area. There are some fantastic properties in the hills at very good prices but it's a lot hotter up there and we like being near the Ocean too much.

Sounds like it's a tough choice for you Northshore though. If you really like the property and it's the right price it's a hard call. Sometimes a house and suburb just feel right don't they.