1.9- Suddenly wages don't seem so great in Oz.

RioMarina

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The exchange rate has no bearing on wages, when we migrated to Australia, the exchange rate was 2.6 - whilst I saw it drop to 1.5 it made no difference whatsoever - my salary stayed the same and what it paid for stayed the same (well my salary went up a bit as did the cost of living but unrelated to the exchange rate)

Conventional wisdom says that your Australian salary needs to be 2.2 x your UK salary to have a similar lifestyle.

Of course the exchange rate does impact the capital you can bring over which will impact your start-up lifestyle and the kind of deposit you may have for a house down the line. You don't have to bring everything over at once though.

The exchange rate has no bearing on wages, when we migrated to Australia, the exchange rate was 2.6 - whilst I saw it drop to 1.5 it made no difference whatsoever - my salary stayed the same and what it paid for stayed the same (well my salary went up a bit as did the cost of living but unrelated to the exchange rate)

Conventional wisdom says that your Australian salary needs to be 2.2 x your UK salary to have a similar lifestyle.

Of course the exchange rate does impact the capital you can bring over which will impact your start-up lifestyle and the kind of deposit you may have for a house down the line. You don't have to bring everything over at once though.

If you read the text it states comparable wages OZ to UK. Forgive me but the only direct product at that particular time when comparing wages is the exchange rate.

If you read the text it states comparable wages OZ to UK. Forgive me but the only direct product at that particular time when comparing wages is the exchange rate.

Yes, but as LR says such comparisons are always irrelevant whatever the exchange rate is. The only meaningful thing is what your wages can afford to buy you in the country you are earning and living in.

The exchange rate is only relevant when you're moving from one country to another and transferring funds, otherwise it's the cost of living against your salary in that country which is relevant.

For us 1.9 is fab news as we are looking to move considerable funds to Oz.

The exchange rate is only relevant when you're moving from one country to another and transferring funds, otherwise it's the cost of living against your salary in that country which is relevant.

For us 1.9 is fab news as we are looking to move considerable funds to Oz.

To a point. Imported goods in oz will get more expensive. Even home grown goods which require imports such as oil will also get more expensive. So the oz wages will lose spending power, just as uk salaries have in the uk over the last five years.

I'm very pleased that the pound has gone up against the dollar, because my income from the UK will be worth more, but when I first came to Australia, I never cared how wages, prices, cost of living, whatever, compared. Perhaps I should have done, but then I might never have 'taken the plunge!?'

The exchange rate has no bearing on wages, when we migrated to Australia, the exchange rate was 2.6 - whilst I saw it drop to 1.5 it made no difference whatsoever - my salary stayed the same and what it paid for stayed the same...

Of course the exchange rate does impact the capital you can bring over...

I had exactly the same experience - there was a huge change in the exchange rate after I migrated. It should've had an effect in theory (more expensive imports etc) but I didn't notice any difference to my standard of living in Oz. You can't compare salaries between one country and another using the exchange rate - you have to look at what it buys in the country where you earn it.

Edited by Marisawright

To a point. Imported goods in oz will get more expensive. Even home grown goods which require imports such as oil will also get more expensive. So the oz wages will lose spending power, just as uk salaries have in the uk over the last five years.

Yes but as long as wage rises match inflation you are not really affected.

That's not really happened due to exchange rates because the key pairing is with the US dollar, since that is what oil is priced in, and what the renminbi is still effectively tied to. GBP hasn't been so depressed against either of those, it's more been a case of the A$ being inflated against other currencies (and thankfully now easing)

That's not really happened due to exchange rates because the key pairing is with the US dollar, since that is what oil is priced in, and what the renminbi is still effectively tied to. GBP hasn't been so depressed against either of those, it's more been a case of the A$ being inflated against other currencies (and thankfully now easing)

I did not know what the 'Renminbi' is! Had to Google it.

I was talking to a bloke in the doctor's waiting room, thought he was American, but he lived there for a long while, and has a US pension. He was toying with the idea of retiring to Huddersfield, and wanted to know what the cost of living is in the UK, "What is the cost of a pint of beer?" I don't know, probably cheaper in Huddersfield than Southampton.

One of my neigbours has sold his unit - similar to mine, though upgraded - for $600,000, so with my UK home benefitting from the FX rate, I could be a millionnaire (but I can't spell it?)

Wages are still the same no matter the exchange rate! Anyone who based wages off exchange rate was very simple minded!

Its good news for tourists and people moving over here as whatever they bring over is worth a lot more than six months ago

At the end of the day its down to luck. We moved money to aus in march 2013 when the dollar was pretty much at its lowest. Why? Because we were moving in april. Couldnt wait any longer. We now have to send money back to the uk next month to pay for a new boiler in our property. You get what you get, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Unless you have millions and exchange for fun, there is nothing you can do about the rate.

we are far better off in aus than in the uk, plus we have the benefit of feeling like we are on holiday every weekend

A pound was worth over two US dollars when I visited Florida in 2007.

The real cost of living exchange rate has been 2 - 2.2 for a long time. This was the advice I got when I moved out here and it remains entirely valid - and it is the only worthwhile comparison for wages. The rest is just noise, and only matters if you are moving capital about or buying goods from abroad. So the exchange rate heading towards 2:1 is great for us when we sell our UK house (there has to be some good news from that money pit...) but not so great for my CD collection.

I think using the current exchange rate to compare wages has long been disputed as a reliable way to work out whether it is worth making the move. It all depends on what that salary buys you. I've not noticed any change in my living costs here due to the rate rise.

I do however notice the difference in exchange rate when I have to send money each month back to the UK to cover studnet loans. Having debt still in the UK and paying with the aussie dollar has gone from being cheap (at 1.4) to rather expensive (at 1.9). I hope to clear it all by the end of the year, but it's getting harder, my husbands student loan is now $3,000 more than it was when we first came out!