Careers in the UK for an Australian

GOLD3N VIP3R

Ok, first post, I know that this website is entitled pomsinoz and is meant for Brits looking for information on moving to Australia, how ever I thought this would also be a good source in information for an Australian interested in relocating to the UK. Obviously if I did move over there I would need to find a job, but being an Australian I have next to no idea of what the workforce is like over in the UK, therefore I was hoping to get some knowledge as to what would be an easy part time job to get into once I moved over there and on what types of occupations are in high demand and relatively easy for an Australian to get into for full time work. I would likely move to an area in or around London and would be willing to take any part time work that I was offered. As for a full time job (career) I would be willing to travel further so location is of no issue. So to sum up the point of this post was to really find out what type of fields are in demand that are well paid and wouldn't be too difficult for an Australian to get into. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

For the time being I don't have a visa, nor any real qualifications having just graduated high school. Moving to the UK has been more or less just a thought of mine for the last year, therefore I haven't actually taken any real action towards doing it. I am willing to study/train to become qualified in an area preferably in the construction, skilled trades, shipping, automotive, manufacturing, building, mining, oil and gas industries however as I would be a foreigner in a country with a high unemployment rate (or so I have heard), I can't afford to be too choosy as to what I decide to persue.

High unemployment rate depends where you are in the UK imho!Welcome to PIO btw lol ! So ok are you planning to train first in Australia,get a qualification and then move?Or are you wanting to skip this and move over to the UK and train in something here?I work for the NHS (National Health Service)and apart from health related jobs like nurses,you can start in admin on say band 2 and work your way up.Before anything else though I would find out about which visa you are aiming at because without that?You won't be going anywhere!Lots of young aussies come over and just work bar type jobs and such like.Infact there is a chain of bars called "Walkabout".I've been in a few of them,and most of the staff are young aussies.The Shepherds Bush one is popular as that area of London is where alot of aussies gravitate towards!lol Check out the website.......

http://walkaboutbars.co.uk/jobs

I'm not sure about visa's coming into the UK etc, but if you could train in Australia first in a skilled job such as the one's you have mentioned it may make it easier? Otherwise it would probably just be bar work, shop work, admin and other entry level jobs. The construction industry hasn't been great as of late (my father works in that industry) however it is expected to pick up again slowly. Other skilled jobs such as plumber and electricians as well as automotive generally are always in demand. If you graduate from University there are graduate jobs available that work you up. I think your probably have to skill up first. Again unfortunately I do not know the visa requirements for the UK

There's the equivalent of a WHV for young workers unless you happen to have citizenship already - or even eligibility for an ancestry visa (UK born grandparent?) which would stand you in good stead. I wouldnt think of doing any training here though, that could be really expensive. Perhaps do a barista course or something like that to give you something on your CV

I think you will find the construction industry anywhere near London is either highly skilled, or poorly paid. The non-skilled stuff is mainly done by cheap Eastern European labour, and those guys work HARD!! I couldn't cope with that level of work. I paid a poor group of guys £80 each per day to basically dig out my entire garden and carry it one little bag at a time through the house... I gave them a bonus as they all looked so depressed! (apologies for the broad brush strokes - just my experience)

Normally WHV Aussies work in offices these days. Receptionists, data entry type jobs if you only have a high school qualification. I came in 1998 on a gap year and temped for a range of companies. Do you have any work experience at all? Weekend jobs etc? I suspect the lower end of the market is pretty competitive.

For the time being I don't have a visa, nor any real qualifications having just graduated high school.

Assuming you are under 31 then....:cute:...you would probably be eligible for the youth mobility scheme...assuming, also, that you fulfil the other required criteria. However, that has a limit of 24 months stay in the UK.

However, if you are thinking of anything more ambitious, look carefully at the UK's Border Agency website. The criteria for working in the UK were changed last year and it may be difficult to qualify for any other visa which would enable you to work.

Archived