32 members have voted

1. 1. Would/Have you taken your kids out of school for holidays

• Yes (i would)
    • No
    • Yes I have (less than 2 days)
    • Yes I have (more than 2 days)
    • other (please state)

Guest The Pom Queen

I am guilty as charged. The eldest two no, but when I went for my big op we took the little one out of school as I had to go to Sydney. Also we have taken them off for family time, we have had a crap 5 years with my health and we needed that time together. I'm on top of the world now so they won't be missing anymore lol.

I think quality family time together is valuable. The economics of modern family life now means that its rare for families to spend any substantial time together. Try telling the boss that you wan't to leave an hour early to watch the kids in a play or similar, see the looks you get...

I am guilty as charged. The eldest two no, but when I went for my big op we took the little one out of school as I had to go to Sydney. Also we have taken them off for family time, we have had a crap 5 years with my health and we needed that time together. I'm on top of the world now so they won't be missing anymore lol.

That is fab news to hear :jiggy:

missed that bit... That's fantastic news:wubclub:

Great news! Long may you stay on top of the world! :yes:

That's really good to hear.

Ooh as an ex-teacher (at Advanced/Degree level) this is a pet subject of mine, I have mouthed off about it many times! I could never have imagined I would take my son out of school for holidays but I have to confess I did for 1 or 2 days (can't remember) when we were living in Perth and wanted to have a holiday in the UK - it was a mixture of logistics and cost.

I still don't think it's justifiable for two weeks in Bali/Spain/wherever - you can have quality family time without going anywhere and some of my best family holidays have been on camp sites in the UK.

There are always exceptions and Pom Queen's circumstances show that. Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Also glad pomqueen is better. I would take primary school kids out of school for up to 2 weeks but not so much high school age. We took ours out for 6 months but they were gipped when we put them into school for 4 of those months interstate. Happy that they were way ahead of their classes though - education is very uneven in Australia isn't it?

Also glad pomqueen is better. I would take primary school kids out of school for up to 2 weeks but not so much high school age. We took ours out for 6 months but they were gipped when we put them into school for 4 of those months interstate. Happy that they were way ahead of their classes though - education is very uneven in Australia isn't it?

I think it's great for them to experience different education. When our daughter (5) joined her friend at school for four weeks in the UK her first comment when she came out was, 'it's so different.. They sit INSIDE to have lunch. At TABLES!' :smile:

My view is "who cares - live and let live!"

I took my kids out of school....

What they missed: watching videos at the end of term

What they saw: a volcano, camels, they spoke Spanish and they went on a plane

It's a no brainer for me!!!! This is different to children who habitually miss school - but the penalty notice won't work for them anyway:ssign15::ssign15:

I think it's ok for a week, two at the most per year at Primary age, especially at the end of term, as someone else said, they only miss watching Dvd's and filling in time as the term work has already been completed. I am taking my daughter out the week before Easter this year to avoid the heavy Easter costs, avoid the Easter rush/traffic and as there will be five of us this year, to actually get a place to stay as things get booked solid at Easter very early on. Might also do the odd 'long weekend ' here and there also for weekend camping trips that arnt on our doorstep. I will definatly keep an eye on her school work to make sure that doesn't suffer and will adjust as soon as it does.

It's funny how we get told things that maybe aren't quite true............my work colleague who lived in ox for a year said that schools didnt care less how long people were gone for and yet on here the ozzies seem to be in a similar position to us in the uk? probably without the penalty fares!!

I think it's ok for a week, two at the most per year at Primary age, especially at the end of term, as someone else said, they only miss watching Dvd's and filling in time as the term work has already been completed. I am taking my daughter out the week before Easter this year to avoid the heavy Easter costs, avoid the Easter rush/traffic and as there will be five of us this year, to actually get a place to stay as things get booked solid at Easter very early on. Might also do the odd 'long weekend ' here and there also for weekend camping trips that arnt on our doorstep. I will definatly keep an eye on her school work to make sure that doesn't suffer and will adjust as soon as it does.

As someone who struggles on a daily basis with finances if we get the opportunity for a cheap holiday we will take it.

One year (kids in yr 3 and yr r) we booked a The Sun holiday and therefore given dates over the school time (we tried for the half term week but were given the fri-mon so they would miss Monday off school).

It was only missing one day and we toyed with the idea of cutting our 2 days holiday to 1 day (fri =traveling, Monday = traveling, so only 2 days for the holiday really!) but thought stuff it, let's enjoy those 2 full days we get! I called up and said the kids were both ill which goes down as authorised absence instead of unauthorised.

When I did go through the official channels and asked for them to have a week off so we could travel from Surrey to Cornwall to reccie areas, houses, schools and colleges it was denied! It is impossible to view schools in school holidays so I don't get how they thought we'd view others if it wasn't in school time!

That was the first, and probably last time I do that officially!

?

P.s, the kids are in primary school, have great attendance (my son at 100% at the time) and my daughter had 2 sessions off due to chic pox and a gastro bug that was going round the whole school. 2 illnesses I was told by the school she couldn't attend with!

Drives me mad.

Enjoy your hols!!

We won't be saying they are sick - we will b telling the truth but I have been told this is the wrong thing to do....fingers crossed no penalty fare

As someone who struggles on a daily basis with finances if we get the opportunity for a cheap holiday we will take it.

One year (kids in yr 3 and yr r) we booked a The Sun holiday and therefore given dates over the school time (we tried for the half term week but were given the fri-mon so they would miss Monday off school).

It was only missing one day and we toyed with the idea of cutting our 2 days holiday to 1 day (fri =traveling, Monday = traveling, so only 2 days for the holiday really!) but thought stuff it, let's enjoy those 2 full days we get! I called up and said the kids were both ill which goes down as authorised absence instead of unauthorised.

When I did go through the official channels and asked for them to have a week off so we could travel from Surrey to Cornwall to reccie areas, houses, schools and colleges it was denied! It is impossible to view schools in school holidays so I don't get how they thought we'd view others if it wasn't in school time!

That was the first, and probably last time I do that officially!

P.s, the kids are in primary school, have great attendance (my son at 100% at the time) and my daughter had 2 sessions off due to chic pox and a gastro bug that was going round the whole school. 2 illnesses I was told by the school she couldn't attend with!

Drives me mad.

This was last year (all settled in Cornwall now). :-)

We took the week off (the receptionist basically said do it as I told them I was going anyway lol) and I get the feeling the fines and stuff are if you're being a bit stupid. Taking lots of unnecessary holidays in school time, awful attendance and still taking time out of school etc.

Once they are in secondary school it'll be strictly school holls only.

mmmmm....that's my interpretation too. I'll let u know if we get fined :wideeyed:

This was last year (all settled in Cornwall now). :-)

We took the week off (the receptionist basically said do it as I told them I was going anyway lol) and I get the feeling the fines and stuff are if you're being a bit stupid. Taking lots of unnecessary holidays in school time, awful attendance and still taking time out of school etc.

Once they are in secondary school it'll be strictly school holls only.

Archived