Arrrgggh- s'hot

starlight7

Not used to it as we have had a cold summer so far. 45 expected today, 42 yesterday. Hot hot nights around 30s. Looking forward to Friday night and the cool change. Still, the pool is getting use from all the family at last and it is a good excuse to stay home and vegetate!

Does everyone like the hot weather or do you prefer it cool? I like it in the high 20s ideally.

Not used to it as we have had a cold summer so far. 45 expected today, 42 yesterday. Hot hot nights around 30s. Looking forward to Friday night and the cool change. Still, the pool is getting use from all the family at last and it is a good excuse to stay home and vegetate!

Does everyone like the hot weather or do you prefer it cool? I like it in the high 20s ideally.

Hate it!! I'm 31 weeks pregnant and also have my parents staying with us in a small-ish townhouse (they're here for 5 months) so everyone is irritable (mostly me) and fed up. I stayed off work yesterday but came in today as it's cooler here, I hate feeling Cooped up at home.

Under 30 is best for me - 26/7 just about perfect with cooler nights. Do you stay off work when it's too hot?

Wish I was off work - these high temps, sleepless nights etc are coinciding with a blowout in my commuting times due to the Belgrave line closure. This heat and 3-4 hours a day commuting is a bit of a trial. Usually cope pretty well with the heat but this extended heatwave is a bit much...

Wish I was off work - these high temps, sleepless nights etc are coinciding with a blowout in my commuting times due to the Belgrave line closure. This heat and 3-4 hours a day commuting is a bit of a trial. Usually cope pretty well with the heat but this extended heatwave is a bit much...

We're sending employees who take Public Transport home early - and giving them iced water & icy poles on the way out!

That kind of heat is normal here in Perth, we go for stints of 38 to 40 in the summer for up to 4 days at a time. Not as common in Melbourne but know exactly how you feel, I hate the hot weather!

Then I have to ask why on earth did you move to Perth?

Hi all from hellish Adelaide day 4 of this excruciating heatwave 46c expected today - non AC. I absolutely hate anything above mid 20's quite happy at 0 to 10 and 15 and 16 Celsius is my idea of sunny summer....but having lived where its been far cooler like -37c and just as hot.. give me rainy old London any day....what was I thinking all in the name of love no way would I have ever come here otherwise. Stay cool people 2 days to go.

Gotta say it...... What did everyone expect when moving to AUSTRALIA?

I agree, it's nasty but hell - did you not think it was gonna get hot or sommat? I'm not one for coining a phrase but this thread is well and truly in the whining poms bucket. No offence meant to anyone though like.

I agree, it's nasty but hell - did you not think it was gonna get hot or sommat? I'm not one for coining a phrase but this thread is well and truly in the whining poms bucket. No offence meant to anyone though like.

Three simple reasons

1) Lack of research - Moved to Qld and can't stand humidity, Perth and can't stand heat etc etc

2) Lack of acclimatisation - Takes years

3) Lack of intestinal fortitude - Self explanatory

And there was i hallucinating that all my local colleagues were telling me how hot it was...

Oh this weather is unusual for Melbourne. Usually we have a break after a couple of days' heat. Not many like it this hot and quite a few people e die of heart attacks etc Problems with power cuts and cancelled trains. I wouldn't class that as whingeing but then surf obviously is well acquainted with it - takes one to know one I guess.

It's my Australian born and bred friends who are complaining about it the most, saying how they're all stuck indoors or in the pool and not able to get on with their lives.

I remember saying how much I love the hot weather (up to around 35, not 40 plus, that's horrid) and they all used to say that once I'd been there for several years I'd hate it as much as they do. Still, it's only for a few weeks max...

It's my Australian born and bred friends who are complaining about it the most, saying how they're all stuck indoors or in the pool and not able to get on with their lives.

I remember saying how much I love the hot weather (up to around 35, not 40 plus, that's horrid) and they all used to say that once I'd been there for several years I'd hate it as much as they do. Still, it's only for a few weeks max...

Only poms are 'stuck indoors'. Went for a gelato round midday and the car park was full. Mums with toddlers cruising outside, people walking their dogs, life as normal. Notice how we only get these posts from those did the Pommy Run??

There's nothing wrong with moaning / talking about the weather.

I pity the pregnant lady.........

Only poms are 'stuck indoors'. Went for a gelato round midday and the car park was full. Mums with toddlers cruising outside, people walking their dogs, life as normal. Notice how we only get these posts from those did the Pommy Run??

No they're not. They're my Australian friends who are saying how unpleasant it is and how much they hate it. They're all staying in the aircon as much as possible, which seems to be the sensible thing to do, especially with children.

It wasn't a criticism so you don't need to be defensive.

And there was i hallucinating that all my local colleagues were telling me how hot it was...

It is but they're not all huddled up in the darkness as some poms here would have you believe.....

Its 20.5 at my place this morning, thought back to when we bought the land a long time ago, the idea was it was between the two bays on a hill and we get the breeze from both. Works like a dream. Put in sliding windows so that when the change comes we push them right back and it gets cool.

Living on the Peninsula our heat is never as bad as it is in bricks and mortar land. Although it was forty here yesterday but goodness knows what it was in the city. Its often much hotter than where they take the temps.

Its 20.5 at my place this morning, thought back to when we bought the land a long time ago, the idea was it was between the two bays on a hill and we get the breeze from both. Works like a dream. Put in sliding windows so that when the change comes we push them right back and it gets cool.

Living on the Peninsula our heat is never as bad as it is in bricks and mortar land. Although it was forty here yesterday but goodness knows what it was in the city. Its often much hotter than where they take the temps.

That sounds perfect!

Our friend told us it was 50 in her attic room today (Brunswick). That's the room my oh used when he stayed with them for a few months - no aircon up there either!

No they're not. They're my Australian friends who are saying how unpleasant it is and how much they hate it. They're all staying in the aircon as much as possible, which seems to be the sensible thing to do, especially with children.

It wasn't a criticism so you don't need to be defensive.

Everywhere is deserted,down here

Theres not a soul around through the day, its deadly silent outside.Everyone just seems to be staying indoors.

Northern Tas is very hot, we have had 36 plus,and its not cooling down much at night

I feel for the people on the mainland.Its bad enough here, for us.

Adelaide was pronounced as the "hottest place in the world" yesterday at midday

Lets hope the cool change comes in for everyone later today

Everywhere is deserted,down here

Theres not a soul around through the day, its deadly silent outside.Everyone just seems to be staying indoors.

Northern Tas is very hot, we have had 36 plus,and its not cooling down much at night

I feel for the people on the mainland.Its bad enough here, for us.

Adelaide was pronounced as the "hottest place in the world" yesterday at midday

Lets hope the cool change comes in for everyone later today

It's forecast to isn't it? I hope they're right for all your sakes. I like hot, but over 40 isn't much fun and I think it feels worse at night. At least these spells tend not to last too long, then it goes back to being more pleasant.

Poor animals are suffering, too.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/heatwave-takes-toll-on-native-animals/26465

Cheers, Bobj.

It's rare to see a possum during the day but yesterday a Ring-tail possum ran straight past me climbed the ladder to the pool and jumped in. This morning I found a Noisy Minah sitting on the ground. I picked it up and put it in a bowl of water where it revived. So now I've put the sprinkler on a fine spray. There are now lots of different birds out there cooling off. Cool change is due to hit Melbourne at 8pm tonight.

It's rare to see a possum during the day but yesterday a Ring-tail possum ran straight past me climbed the ladder to the pool and jumped in. This morning I found a Noisy Minah sitting on the ground. I picked it up and put it in a bowl of water where it revived. So now I've put the sprinkler on a fine spray. There are now lots of different birds out there cooling off. Cool change is due to hit Melbourne at 8pm tonight.

Yes, ringtails don't usually come down to the ground, let alone go for a swim in your pool! I notice a lot of people have put bowls of water under the trees on the nature strips - these have been there since the heatwave started so I imagine a lot of people have been concerned for the wildlife during this hot spell. Roll on 8pm, it would be nice to get back to normal Melbourne summer weather...

Archived