5 months in..........BE positive!!

lauracoldwell

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Laura,

Just wondering how you found your rental property that takes 2 dogs - although we'll be heading for Brisbane I wondered if you used a specific website etc as that is one of our main concerns.

Thanks!

. Hey there, no special agent. We found the rental through real estate Australia and rent with ray white. Ultimately it's the landlords decision. I made a really good and extensive property portfolio abut me and mark and the dogs which I think helped a lot xx

Lovely post and follow ups. I have noticed having browsed this site that there can be some negatives posted, such as when I was fretting and admittedly slightly affronted about the IELTS (affronted in having to take it being an educated professional), but there is some really good advice here too. I'm waiting for my skills assessment to come back now from the ACS, it's at stage 4 which is decision time, before applying for a 189. Moving to Melbourne to be with my girlfriend.

It is all a bit daunting, but also exciting. Melbourne I love as a city, and I find myself well at home with Aussies and the sense of humour. Were it not for my girlfriend, I'd probably not emigrate anywhere, but despite this I'm really looking forward to it. Bring on a visa, and Wyndham Vale awaits!

Hi Laura,

Thank you for the lovely positive post.

My OH and i are in the early phases, we sent the skills assesment off last week. I found PIO a few weeks ago, and it has been so helpful but also slightly scary, so it is good to read a story like yours :) which sounds similar to our path. It gives me hope that we can do it too.

Best wishes

x

Hi Laura,

Thank you for the lovely positive post.

My OH and i are in the early phases, we sent the skills assesment off last week. I found PIO a few weeks ago, and it has been so helpful but also slightly scary, so it is good to read a story like yours :) which sounds similar to our path. It gives me hope that we can do it too.

Best wishes

x

Hello :)

You'll get lots of really good information from this website. I used it lots in the stages of the AHPRA stuff. I also met some lovely people from here some I met up with. Its all very exciting for you....

Im glad you have found it helpful, and of course, if you want it you can make it happen. I know it seems daunting at the beginning but it gets easier and becomes more of a reality. xx

Hello :)

You'll get lots of really good information from this website. I used it lots in the stages of the AHPRA stuff. I also met some lovely people from here some I met up with. Its all very exciting for you....

Im glad you have found it helpful, and of course, if you want it you can make it happen. I know it seems daunting at the beginning but it gets easier and becomes more of a reality. xx

Thats really good to know, it seems like a really good mix of people on here and its nice to know that people meet up too.

Sorry to thread jack but do you live in Adelaide? If so, can I pick you brain and ask if you recommend any good places to stay/eat/visit, and equally the same but to avoid? We are hoping to settle in either Perth or Adelaide and are doing a trip this year to have a good look around and get a feel for both of them and what living there would be like. Perth we are lucky with as I have a cousin there to show us.

I have been reading up about some of the suburbs in the area to get a feel for them on what is now becoming homely.co.au (i can not for the life of me remember its previous name as i have it bookmarked, street adviser rings a bell), but there is nothing like insider knowledge and tips :)

Thanks in advance :)

xx

Thats really good to know, it seems like a really good mix of people on here and its nice to know that people meet up too.

Sorry to thread jack but do you live in Adelaide? If so, can I pick you brain and ask if you recommend any good places to stay/eat/visit, and equally the same but to avoid? We are hoping to settle in either Perth or Adelaide and are doing a trip this year to have a good look around and get a feel for both of them and what living there would be like. Perth we are lucky with as I have a cousin there to show us.

I have been reading up about some of the suburbs in the area to get a feel for them on what is now becoming homely.co.au (i can not for the life of me remember its previous name as i have it bookmarked, street adviser rings a bell), but there is nothing like insider knowledge and tips :)

Thanks in advance :)

xx

Ha ha It's Ok..

So we live in a northern suburb called Gawler which is like a small country town. Shops close at 9pm and 5pm on weekends. Theres a few pubs and places to eat but not a whole lot of stuff going on. I have a nice life there, go to the gym daily and its about a 45 min drive to the beach if i fancy a day there and 20 mins from the Barossa Valley which is beautiful. We chose to move there as rent is much cheaper than closer to the city or beaches. If I had the money I would live at Grange or Henley beach because its beautiful there. Only the day before yesterday, I was swimming in the ocean and a pod of dolphins swam past like 15 meters away from us.

Suburbs to avoid are: Elizabeth, Kilkenny, Christies beach (these are all I have been told by ladies I work with, not by experience)

The city is great, there are some amazing places to eat and drink... A favourite of mine is the botanical bar and casablabla (my friend introduced me to this)

They also have a night market on a sunday and although I havent been yet I have heard it brilliant. I spend most of my spare time at the beach or in the Adelaide Hills, particularly Hahndorf which is a cute German town.

I hope that helps a bit? x

Hi, I think this is my first post not sure. Hope you're still enjoying 1 for 5 versus 1 for 26 ratio. That's is a big difference in workload. Also, if you haven't done so already, check out the beaches @ Middleton/Goolwa. Amazing. I'm on my way to Melbourne in March for my first entry. Wish me LUCK.

Hi, I think this is my first post not sure. Hope you're still enjoying 1 for 5 versus 1 for 26 ratio. That's is a big difference in workload. Also, if you haven't done so already, check out the beaches @ Middleton/Goolwa. Amazing. I'm on my way to Melbourne in March for my first entry. Wish me LUCK.

Aw thank you for the tips. We just spent new year down at Normanville and some time in Goolwa. I LOVE Hectors on the Wharf its such a cute little place. The hubby and his friend just had a surf lesson in Middleton. Iv got my eye on those lovely little beach huts for a break away. They look amazing.

Lots of luck for your trip to Melbourne. I LOVE it there. I'm sure you'll have a blast. If you like cocktails check out 18o6..Its the best bar I have been to in a long time. xxxx

• 7 months later...

Hi Laura! Came across this post and I was wondering if you can give me some insight on the application process? My partner and I just lodged our application to Vetassess through our agent. We are now in the waiting process for results (this one's killing me!). We are under 190/489 applying for hotel/motel manager. Our qualifications are quite good considering the hospitality experience we have (hotels we've worked with and the years of experience). I just wonder how Vetassess do their assessment? Is it based on education qualifications or is it more of the work experience? Do they really call universities and the companies you've worked with?

If somebody else has gone through the same experience, please share your stories too. Just a bit of positivity to ease the stress on the waiting time.

Many thanks,

Allie

Archived