How much did/are people taking?

Moobobs

Well have about £20k but I'm not worried. I've spent so long saving money for this visa that I don't think I'll ever spend money unnecessarily again. I am now an official tight arse!!!

i think you'll be ok. Just be careful to begin with. If people offer to lend you things or give you things when your setting yourself up take it. Once your settled financially, you'll probably find yourself doing the same for another newcomer.

Debs

we are planning on taking over £10k with us after everything paid. like travelchic says above, we too have saved like mad and have become great with money and can join the tightarse groups haha. but 10k wont go far i know but will certainly help but we are shipping furniture over.

Well have about £20k but I'm not worried. I've spent so long saving money for this visa that I don't think I'll ever spend money unnecessarily again. I am now an official tight arse!!!

i think you'll be ok. Just be careful to begin with. If people offer to lend you things or give you things when your setting yourself up take it. Once your settled financially, you'll probably find yourself doing the same for another newcomer.

Debs

Decided to leave most of our furniture here and buy new... Paul's going to go out in front to get everything set up before I come with the dog... His cards are all cancelled and he's on an allowance lol.... Another tight arse here to.lol

may i ask what you are taking over nancy and paul. I know its rude to ask but as everyone going through this process knows the more information from different people the better as eases the mind ha

This is what really counts. You'll be fine.

Agreed. We brought something like £150k all up, but only £10k (plus had about $4k already here, so probably more like £12.5k) to start with and it was plenty as my OH started work immediately. It bought us a car ($2k more than we had said we would spend), paid for stamp duty, rego and insurance and OHs drivers licence, bond on rental and first fortnights rent. We didn't have to buy any furniture as we shipped everything and stayed with family until it arrived. The rest of our money went towards buying a block of land.

There's always Freecycle as well - you can use it when you leave too. It can tide you over for some basics usually. Aus has plenty of Op Shops too. If you have a job then £15k should be enough but don't panic when you see it rushing through your hands like water. If you don't have a job then you should budget for 6 months with no income (just in case) and at the average wage that would be around $30k

Thanks all. My husband used to work out there and he is going back to his employer that sponsored him for his 457 visa which is nice of him! If he has to go to work straight away then that's what he will have to do! I am going to start applying a couple of days before we fly out. Just hope I can find something! I work in medical HR for the NHS and I really love it so just hope I'm not waiting too long until I'm back in work!

Archived