Young Pommys In Dilemma!!!

pommyinperth

My partner and I are young twenty somethings currently living in WA on working holiday visa's. We came to Australia initially to experience life here to see if we would want to live here in the future. I have just started working in Perth city and my partner has a trade which he has been using and working since we have arrived.

He has loosely been offered sponsorship (this may need to be looked into further to check it is a genuine offer) but we are torn as to whether we pursue that and try and make a life here for ourselves, to eventually gain Permanent Residency, or to go home in September and to start a future together in the UK. I would also like to know, if he gets sponsored, does that mean I can go on his sponsorship too? My partner is very keen to start his own business so whatever choice we make will have to be final as he wants to get it up and running asap.

Everybody here is saying we are mad if we don't try and get sponsorship but to be honest, I miss home A LOT and cannot see a happy future here for myself (I know it could only be for two years but I don't even know if I could do that!). My partner has very mixed feelings about here and at home but I know he is more drawn to staying here as he rightly says, his business could eventually be a lot more successful here than back in the UK due to financial situations and the recession that has hit the country.

I am thinking way ahead but I also don't know if I would want to start a family here either. A question that really plays on my mind is - would we really have a better life here, than in the UK?!

Any bits of advice will be greatly welcomed, especially from those who have been or are in our position!

I guess only you can decide what you want to do. It also depends on your personality type and whether or not you find it easy to make friends and connections etc. You are young and the world is your oyster, so to speak. If it were me I would go for it but we are all different- also depends who/what you left behind and whether you would cope when you cut the ties.

You are right to question but is best. There is no knowing of the economic times ahead. UK does appear to be looking up and longer term just as good a place to be as Australia. Better perhaps depending on what you measure it on. Too many variables to comment to much but if the thing called "Perth lifestyle" doesn't appeal why stay?

Or alternatively return home and think about it and see if the employer will sponsor from there.

Life is really what you make of it. We can argue about which country is better, but in reality that is a complete nonsense. Both countries are great. It all depends on what you do, not really about where you do it. IMHO Australia is the place to be - there is so much opportunity here, if only you look for it. This is still a pioneer country, and it is a place for young people to forge ahead. There is a vibrancy here for those who strive.

The issue you will be facing is not so much the country, but your attitudes. Make a decision about what you want - not where, but what.

Is it a 457 visa you will be sponsored on? Then is you can prove de facto relationship then yes you would be eligible to be sponsored.

However, with this visa your OH would not be able to start his own business. He can only work for the company which has sponsored him in the role for which he was employed.

My partner and I are young twenty somethings currently living in WA on working holiday visa's. We came to Australia initially to experience life here to see if we would want to live here in the future. I have just started working in Perth city and my partner has a trade which he has been using and working since we have arrived.

He has loosely been offered sponsorship (this may need to be looked into further to check it is a genuine offer) but we are torn as to whether we pursue that and try and make a life here for ourselves, to eventually gain Permanent Residency, or to go home in September and to start a future together in the UK. I would also like to know, if he gets sponsored, does that mean I can go on his sponsorship too? My partner is very keen to start his own business so whatever choice we make will have to be final as he wants to get it up and running asap.

Everybody here is saying we are mad if we don't try and get sponsorship but to be honest, I miss home A LOT and cannot see a happy future here for myself (I know it could only be for two years but I don't even know if I could do that!). My partner has very mixed feelings about here and at home but I know he is more drawn to staying here as he rightly says, his business could eventually be a lot more successful here than back in the UK due to financial situations and the recession that has hit the country.

I am thinking way ahead but I also don't know if I would want to start a family here either. A question that really plays on my mind is - would we really have a better life here, than in the UK?!

Any bits of advice will be greatly welcomed, especially from those who have been or are in our position!

I sense you are over-planning? Nothing in life is final except death. Life will throw you a lot of unexpecteds, and you will end up having to roll with a few of them and go down roads you didn't expect. This may be one of them. At your ages, you will probably make a life for yourselves anywhere. Two years is nothing, believe me. And yes, presuming you can prove at least a de facto relationship, one of you getting sponsored should secure the position of the other.

You're young, go with the flow and have an adventure. The time to make serious decisions is before you start a family (read up on The Hague Convention) but until then, suck it and see! One first world country is going to be much like any other really.

I guess it depends on your individual situation and if you are that keen on starting a family can you survive without your family around you. One country is not better than the other just different. Remember that the UK is slowly coming out of recession and WA is in and out of recession at the moment, depends what your partner does but I wouldn't pin your decision on the state of either countries economy.

Have you seen other parts of Australia so you can compare? You are on WHV's, I'd make the most of them and see more of AUS before you decide one way or the other about where to settle for a few years. Plenty of time for decision making a bit further down the road. What about doing your regional work to gain your second year on your WHV?

Honestly, you may see more of Aus and find somewhere you fall in love with and want to stay a few years. If you are not feeling it for Perth, move on. If after seeing Aus you both feel the UK is the place for you, head back there.

It's easy to let ur mind go into overdrive, especially when ur partner loves the place more than you, my situation also. Australia and uk r both amazing places, 2 yrs isn't a long time but it can bloody feel like it if you don't have the job or makes the friends to enjoy it. If your not starting a family Imminently then try not to worry about that aspect, remember you have family at home so you can go back whenever, as long as u go back knowing you gave it a fair shot. Ur partner should get sponsored by a company then u can go as his defacto, working for someone else first is better, u guys can assess if the place is what u want, no point looking to start a business if ur not sure u love the place plus he'll have to do lots of courses first as oz love u to do a course to get the job! And it will cost. September is not long, enjoy the summer, ur partner can accost sponsorship surely and then always refuse nearer the time if you both wanna go home.

I'm in a very similar position to you. Moved to Perth with my OH when I was 26, originally intending to stay for two years for the experience.

Once we arrived it quickly became apparent that it would be sensible to stay for four years to get citizenship and keep our options open further down the line. We're nearly three years in now, my OH loves it here and would happily never go back but I am still up and down all the time. The first 18 months were hard, and sometimes I'd feel physically sick with homesickness. But if you stick it out and embrace what Australia has to offer you get through it. I love the lifestyle we have here and that's mainly down to our income, which we could never match in the UK. But similar to you, I can't imagine having children here - it's a great place to raise them but the separation from family is a huge factor for me. Practically speaking, Australia is right for us at the moment. You have opportunities here you just wouldn't get in the UK, and I've found it easier to build a career here.

Whether it will be right for you will really depend on how you are, as others have said. If you like the beach, enjoy the hot weather and like eating out/coffee, then the lifestyle will be perfect for you. Perth is a pretty quiet place to be compared to other Australian cities, so if you're after a laid back lifestyle, it's ideal. If you're used to a fast-paced life, it will be a little different. Sometimes I do feel like it's too quiet - like I'm still too young to be settling in suburbia. But life is good. If you're outgoing too that helps - building a support network here is so important in settling.

I'd say give it a go. When we left the UK two years felt like a lifetime, but believe me it passes quickly. At least you can say you've tried it. Giving up that sort of opportunity may be something you regret later. You can travel and see some of the country while you're here - and you can always go back to the UK if you both really think it's not working out. The risk you face is having a split opinion, like me and my OH!

I hope it all works out for you :)

We were in the same situation, came for a year on a WHV and then intended to go back to England and start again in our home town nearer families.

After 4 months I got offered sponsorship and we had to weigh up what was best for us.

We stayed, but it was a hard decision and we still aren't convinced Perth is 'home' despite being here 2.5 years and having bought a house! I've always wanted to be in Australia, and being offered PR right off the bat, we figured 4 years wasn't a long time to get citizenship and see where we wanted to be after that.

But really, you have to make this decision - if you miss home and friends and family loads then you might not make it - I don't miss people that much!

Its such a personal matter for you with so many factors that I can only comment on suggestions for you to consider for yourself...

Like mentioned previously you are not sure on Perth and from research there are far more lively places on the east coast for young couples, I think it may be time for your and your partner to have a look at perhaps Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane areas before you decide that Australia isn't for you. It may be as simple as Perth is nice but just doesn't meet you and your partners ideas of what life should be right now. I suppose its like someone who belongs in London living in Cumbria in the UK.

I understand your concerns re children however once you have children it is far more difficult to take risks and have an adventure. Embrace the opportunity to travel and take a few risks now unless you are seriously considering having children in the next 12 months.

Have a chat with the OH about your feelings and have a mutual agreement in place regarding when you should both return home. This way it may save problems later on.

Remember, Australia is still a new found land for you and you are bound to not feel at home. I doubt it would for a good few years until you build relationships that replace the ones you have built in the UK. However, this doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Both countries are fantastic and its worth remembering that once you have citizenship you can access either at your free will. Don't think too deeply into the economic climate as things are changing in both countries. If your OH wants to set up a business, I would also suggest he does this in a place he loves, his enthusiasm and positivity will shine through if he is happy.

You can always return to the UK. Nothing is forever.

i was in a similar position in 2007. I was travelling and whilst in oz offered sponsorship. Talked with OH at the time and we couldn't see it being the right move at the time.

Now 6 years later we are going through the stress of sorting a partner visa to go back.

If I could go back in time I wold tell my younger self to go for it and have an adventure.

I would tend to say 'give up' 4/5 years of your life now and not only do you increase your own life options, you increase them for any future children and grandchildren too - what a gift to give them.

The key though is having a clear and fully committed to plan by both you and your partner - the worst situation to end up in after that is one of you wants to stay and the other doesn't.

Can you delay having children that long? If not, then you really do need to be careful or you could end up stuck in a country you don't want to be - it's one thing leaving a partner because you want to lead different lives but most people would not leave there children however unhappy they were in Australia (or the UK!)

Given you are both British I would say any partner that would not commit to returning to the UK if either of you are unhappy to stay after an agreed period is not worth staying with anyway. Very different in a mixed marriage!

I'll echo what others have said, nothing is forever - leaving options open is the best possible option!

On the practical side, if your partner is being sponsored by a company on a 457 visa, he would not be able to set up his own company, the visa is temporary and is cancelled if you leave that company. Indeed my advice above is based on the premise of becoming a citizen and that requires permanent residency which company sponsorship does not automatically lead to. I would think however that he would be able to apply for an independent skilled migration visa - no reason not to be on a 457 whilst that is being processed though.

I think when you're young 5 year plans even 10 year plans seem like a good idea and then experience teaches you that whatever you plan it'll turn out different and it always turns out okay :) I saw a hindu quote I like today - there are many paths up the mountain but they al lead to the same place.

I was in a similar position to yourself. I had a great time travelling, did some tough jobs then got a good job in my field with possibility of sponsorship. I was pretty settled, met new friends etc but was missing home. I was in a dilemma whether to stay but every one around was telling me I was mad for even considering returning home. My mind was made up when my company started dragging their heels on my sponsorship and with my WHV running out I decided to do a bit more travelling before returning home

I have to say I am content at home and got a job within 2 months of returning. I started make the most of having Europe on your door step by going on more weekend breaks etc,

I agree with everyone who says you should stick it out. I know four years seems like a long time at your age, but think of it as an investment in your future. You don't know what's going to happen in ten years, twenty years, thirty - perhaps the British economy will collapse, and you'll be glad you've got somewhere else to go. It will also give your children more options.

Also, don't judge the whole of Australia by Perth. I know lots of people who think it's the best place in the country, but I know others who think it's far too quiet and parochial. It really depends on your personality. My niece, who came to Sydney on a working visa, adored Sydney - but when she got the chance to come back and work in Perth with her employer, she hated it!

Why not leave it in the lap of the Gods? If the sponsorship comes off, make up your mind to make the most of your stay - get travelling, see the Barrier Reef and the dolphins at Monkey Mia, camel ride the Outback etc etc. The time will go faster than you think. You can always go home later if you decide it's all too much. Your partner won't be able to start his own business because he'll have to work for his sponsoring employer, so it can't be "final".

• 4 months later...

Me and my partner are in exactly the same position. we are 28 and 30 and one been offered a sponsorship. we are currently 5 months into our 417 visa.

How long does a sponsorship take? Is it 4 years before you can apply for citizenship?

The only thing that is making me hesitant is family at home.

Love reading everyone's advice on here and to see other people are in the same position.

Me and my partner are in exactly the same position. we are 28 and 30 and one been offered a sponsorship. we are currently 5 months into our 417 visa.

How long does a sponsorship take? Is it 4 years before you can apply for citizenship?

The only thing that is making me hesitant is family at home.

Love reading everyone's advice on here and to see other people are in the same position.

i came as a working holiday 9 years ago and am still here....but, about to return to the UK next year.

whilst you are young, do it!!!!!! before you are tied with kids- do it!!!!!!

perth can be a lovely place to be as a couple- i would argue that's it's rather expensive to raise a family there, but with 2 of you, you can manage.

4 years to get citizenship is nothing in the grand scheme and has a lifetime of positive implications. i am so glad i stuck it out for that, despite some horrendous periods of turmoil and homesickness etc.

you've got nothing to lose. also, perth more than anywhere is 'closer' than other cities to the uk- i know it sounds weird, but when living in WA i never felt that extreme distance- could often get better flight deals back to england and if you can manage a yearly visit, you will be fine.

i've decided not to base anything on global economic predictions. for starters, imo, the world as a whole is pretty messed up- it's hard to say where is 'better' or where is recovering- the whole place is nuts if you ask me!

when i was offered a 457 i was 30 and single, and it really did feel like a sliding doors moment- it's been tough at points i can't deny it, but do it regret it? no, i came with a backpack and left having seen most of the country, and have a husband, daughter and dog to ship back next year :)

Archived