An Arrogant Australia

jen85

And why do lotsa Brits call Australians 'colonials' a most derogatory remark? Possibly because the Brits consider the Australians to be inferior??

It's that condescension chromosome, Bob. Sometimes takes generations to mutate. :wink:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank goodness I'm an England supporter and can enjoy the presence of supporters that can sing and stay positive win or lose.

Well, the Barmy Army still had something to sing about...they were still on holiday in Oz.

But the troops back home definitely weren't singing and staying positive judging by their online comments. Some very unhappy campers.

And why do lotsa Brits call Australians 'colonials' a most derogatory remark? Possibly because the Brits consider the Australians to be inferior??

Anyway... Poms aint won 3 ashes series, 5 nil...So, upya for the rent.whistling.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Although it has a degree of wit, something English educated teachers could be imported to teach the Aussies from young surely? Rhymes as well and all in good fun.

Well, the Barmy Army still had something to sing about...they were still on holiday in Oz.

But the troops back home definitely weren't singing and staying positive judging by their online comments. Some very unhappy campers.

On the positive side for the lucky travellers the OZ dollar declined substantially from beginning to end of tour, bringing the price of beer down accordingly. Definitely something to sing about there, I'd say.

Australia is not perfect and everyone inc media (will never happen) needs to stop pretending that it is, might I also point out that most "Australians" are actually of English descent anyway! This thread was not created to get "Aussies" having a go at the English. Completely not necessary.

But if a few take the bait all well and good.

Although un like a certain OZ cricket player, who has been built up to heroic proportions, I don't feel the suffering of mental exhaustion and other possible mental ailments is being a poor loser nor a sign of weakness.

Come off it, Flag, you surely must have had the same feelings when 2 of 'em leave in the middle of a series. Rather poor timing?? Or, rather poor sportsmanship?? Why didn't the 'dynamic duo' be up front and admit before the series that they had 'mental ailments??

Of course!! How damned clever of them, they had an ulterior motive...if the poms had won the first test...They would have stayed on and soaked up the euphoria.:laugh::laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Come off it, Flag, you surely must have had the same feelings when 2 of 'em leave in the middle of a series. Rather poor timing?? Or, rather poor sportsmanship?? Why didn't the 'dynamic duo' be up front and admit before the series that they had 'mental ailments??

Of course!! How damned clever of them, they had an ulterior motive...if the poms had won the first test...They would have stayed on and soaked up the euphoria.:laugh::laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

How are we to know that? It was only the first match and England's dismal performance was far from clear at that stage. Mental fatigue /illness can strike at any time, anyone, without being on hand nor able to enter the mind of the man, I really couldn't say.

I guess we can only take a face value but hardly uncommon in today's world. Being in the spotlight I could imagine would make the condition that much worse.

How are we to know that? It was only the first match and England's dismal performance was far from clear at that stage. Mental fatigue /illness can strike at any time, anyone, without being on hand nor able to enter the mind of the man, I really couldn't say.

I guess we can only take a face value but hardly uncommon in today's world. Being in the spotlight I could imagine would make the condition that much worse.

Are you sure? It was all good fun when they were winning.

Feeble excuses is what I reckon.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Oh boy, this thread is a doozy.

I'm a huge cricket fan, as is my English other half. We both love the game, and support each other's teams (except when they are playing each other). We don't go in for all the petty rivalry. That's not to say other people around us don't.

I've been harassed at work by English colleagues about being Australian, a 'convict', the cricket, rugby etc. It got so bad that a senior manager gave them a warning. Aussie bashing exists in the UK too. A prominent London based radio DJ hangs up on Australians if they call in. I've been abused on the tube and called a f@cking colonial b;tch and told to go home. Completely unprovoked. Twice I've been abused on the phone by delightful members of the public about where I come from. This is over the course of the last decade or so, but it does happen,

My other half cops it when we go and visit Australia too. Idiots come up to him in pubs and give him a hard time about being a 'bloody Pom' - which btw I find offensive.

There are small minded people everywhere. These are the people that indulge in all this rubbish to make themselves feel good and part of something. There is no need for it, but especially in the media. That Kochie guy is an idiot - exactly the type of person that appeals to small minded Australia. Similar people are in the spotlight in the UK. Why? Because a large proportion of people in the world are either thick, or can't think for themselves to see past the bigotry and the stereotypes generated or supported by the media.

Luckily for us, we are surrounded by people in both countries that don't think or behave like that. If we weren't, I'm not sure what we'd do, because we can't move to NZ - according to the media, they don't like Aussies either.

I'm a huge cricket fan, as is my English other half. We both love the game, and support each other's teams (except when they are playing each other). We don't go in for all the petty rivalry. That's not to say other people around us don't.

I've been harassed at work by English colleagues about being Australian, a 'convict', the cricket, rugby etc. It got so bad that a senior manager gave them a warning. Aussie bashing exists in the UK too. A prominent London based radio DJ hangs up on Australians if they call in. I've been abused on the tube and called a f@cking colonial b;tch and told to go home. Completely unprovoked. Twice I've been abused on the phone by delightful members of the public about where I come from. This is over the course of the last decade or so, but it does happen,

My other half cops it when we go and visit Australia too. Idiots come up to him in pubs and give him a hard time about being a 'bloody Pom' - which btw I find offensive.

There are small minded people everywhere. These are the people that indulge in all this rubbish to make themselves feel good and part of something. There is no need for it, but especially in the media. That Kochie guy is an idiot - exactly the type of person that appeals to small minded Australia. Similar people are in the spotlight in the UK. Why? Because a large proportion of people in the world are either thick, or can't think for themselves to see past the bigotry and the stereotypes generated or supported by the media.

Luckily for us, we are surrounded by people in both countries that don't think or behave like that. If we weren't, I'm not sure what we'd do, because we can't move to NZ - according to the media, they don't like Aussies either.

I don't question your personal experience but my own was that the Poms (in England) do rib but all in good humour when it came to cricket. The wit can indeed be jarring perhaps for those unused to it but al that is required is to give it back.

Now football is something else can could easily result in an unpleasant situation. I have never known that in cricket though. Saying that in OZ a few decades back, before Barmy Army days, anyone that displayed outward support for England may well have required an ambulance to the nearest hospital. ( Sydney grass area very famous my reputation for extreme behaviour in those days) All I can say is never had a problem in Perth being an England supporter in the slightest. And I do dress the part.

Bad sportsmanship! Seriously England took a pounding were dismal and the Aussies have the right to celebrate, I enjoyed posted this on my OH's Facebook wall, he didn't find it funnybut I did :laugh:[ATTACH=CONFIG]22692[/ATTACH]

Looks remarkably like that fellow that bowls to the left and bowls to the right.......and sometimes gets lucky.

bigemo_harabe_net-163.gifbigemo_harabe_net-163.gifbigemo_harabe_net-163.gif

You're just poor losers; so much so that 2 of the pommy team quit early. :wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

I have to agree with you. I recall that sweet boy Darcy though having a track record for violence being selected for the Olympic team on stringent conditions: he was to return to Australia once his event was completed.

He had staying power didn't he? He got nowhere in the event, and then went holidaying in Europe. (And this was after declaring bankruptcy so he did not have to pay out on his last victim).

Gotta hand it to the kid. He stayed.

(And don't ask me what that has to do with anything. You and I both know we can come up with any amount of this crap).

I've got a tip for you mate. If sunrise pisses you off so much and you find so much wrong with it, stop watching. I'm sure you'll find something to match your intellectual level.

Not as I write this, that much is obvious! But thanks for the advice 'mate'. I went one better than 'stop watching'.

It's that condescension chromosome, Bob. Sometimes takes generations to mutate. :wink:

How very true Skani.

Errr, another excuse maker?:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

The poster made a very balanced couple of posts. Did you miss that?

It is isn't it? And its par for the course. I too took what you describe for nearly 40 years. It usually came from those Australians with a vacant lot between their ears. It happened a lot.

What I find different about Australia is that the media there never quits this. Every week, (not everyday), every week there is this incessant 'my Daddy's biggeran' yours'.

And guess what? I have had a lot of the 'you must be mad to come back to the UK' mob. Only one person (in a Doctors surgery!) told me it was a very good decision. Just one person so far.

Why? Because of the usual mantra: UK-pits/Australia-paradise.

And I'm sick of it. I can't get away from this droning even in the UK!

Are you sure? It was all good fun when they were winning.

Feeble excuses is what I reckon.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

I don't think the Aussies had a lot to do with it.(directly) My take is that it was internal matters revolving around management that we'll never be privy to that impacted. Not an unusual event in an age of often inept management in one form or another all too prevalent in society as a whole.

Anyhow the baton has been passed to the South Africans who will compete the job that England was unlucky to pass on this occasion.

Errr, another excuse maker?:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

I'm not commenting on the result of the test series, but about your dismissive attitude to mental illness. Trott was as incapacitated by his illness as if he had ruptured his achilles. I do hope that no one you care about suffers the misfortune of mental illness, because you'll no doubt tell them they are making it up and they should pull themselves together. I suggest a quiet information gathering visit to a site like beyond blue to understand a little more - about a third of people, so I understand, will suffer an episode of mental illness at some point during their lives. Chances are, someone you know and care about is among them. I'm sure they appreciate your comments.

It is isn't it? And its par for the course. I too took what you describe for nearly 40 years. It usually came from those Australians with a vacant lot between their ears. It happened a lot.

What I find different about Australia is that the media there never quits this. Every week, (not everyday), every week there is this incessant 'my Daddy's biggeran' yours'.

And guess what? I have had a lot of the 'you must be mad to come back to the UK' mob. Only one person (in a Doctors surgery!) told me it was a very good decision. Just one person so far.

Why? Because of the usual mantra: UK-pits/Australia-paradise.

And I'm sick of it. I can't get away from this droning even in the UK!

Yep. I hate it too. It's what scares me about moving back to Australia after all this time. Nowhere is perfect, but there is definitely a 'this is the best country in the world' thing happening. Even my dad goes on about Australia being 'the best country in the world' to which me and my siblings roll our eyes. How would he know? He's never been anywhere else. There's a lot like him too. Being an island continent bordered by the Indian, Pacific and Southern Oceans may bring you good weather, but the isolation also brings a degree of ignorance about the rest of the world.

As for Patriotism, it certainly was nowhere near as prevalent or strong when I left in the late 90s. There seems to have been a resurgence over the last 10 years or so and especially since 9/11 and the Bali bombings. I've noticed the same thing happening here.

People need to chill out, learn about the rest of the world and grow the hell up. Sport is just sport, no matter how much you love it, and no country 'the best'. I completely sympathise with your decision. The longer I'm away the less I feel I belong anywhere and the more I want to go buy an island somewhere and start again without all the stupid people.

Yep. I hate it too. It's what scares me about moving back to Australia after all this time. Nowhere is perfect, but there is definitely a 'this is the best country in the world' thing happening. Even my dad goes on about Australia being 'the best country in the world' to which me and my siblings roll our eyes. How would he know? He's never been anywhere else. There's a lot like him too. Being an island continent bordered by the Indian, Pacific and Southern Oceans may bring you good weather, but the isolation also brings a degree of ignorance about the rest of the world.

As for Patriotism, it certainly was nowhere near as prevalent or strong when I left in the late 90s. There seems to have been a resurgence over the last 10 years or so and especially since 9/11 and the Bali bombings. I've noticed the same thing happening here.

People need to chill out, learn about the rest of the world and grow the hell up. Sport is just sport, no matter how much you love it, and no country 'the best'. I completely sympathise with your decision. The longer I'm away the less I feel I belong anywhere and the more I want to go buy an island somewhere and start again without all the stupid people.

It's a little odd just how far certain Aussies and the press take it. I don't recall any other country apart from USA where such crass patriotism is in such evidence. Of course other countries you will meet individuals with similar feelings(Scandinavia comes to mind) but seldom with the same ignorant intensity. It is interesting to note both USA and Australia are somewhat remote from the world and large countries living within their own worlds. Although the USA does have land borders it is not apparent like Europe for example where one is constantly surrounded by cars from a host of neighbouring nations.

Hopefully it doesn't manifest into something more ugly further down the road. For the moment Australia is inclusive for most groups of people that come from elsewhere as are the nations symbols.

Living in Canberra I'm a frequent visitor to the Australian War Memorial and I'm often amused that a casual viewer would probably take away from the Gallipoli Hall the impression that it only involved Aussie and Kiwi troops -

Although it's interesting to note on the little pen pictures on the walls just how many of them were British. Quite eerie reading about somebody dying in their early 20's fighting for Australia, but were born somewhere like Blackburn or Wigan. What kind of short life did they have...never had a chance to learn anything.

Although it's interesting to note on the little pen pictures on the walls just how many of them were British. Quite eerie reading about somebody dying in their early 20's fighting for Australia, but were born somewhere like Blackburn or Wigan. What kind of short life did they have...never had a chance to learn anything.

They weren't fighting for Australia...they were fighting very consciously for "home" or Britain. That's why the (very Irish) Roman Catholic Church in Australia was openly very antagonist to the Australian participation supporting Britain as the Church was very anti English.

Many of the casualties didn't even make it to their twenties...they died as teenagers.

It's a little odd just how far certain Aussies and the press take it. I don't recall any other country apart from USA where such crass patriotism is in such evidence. Of course other countries you will meet individuals with similar feelings(Scandinavia comes to mind) but seldom with the same ignorant intensity. It is interesting to note both USA and Australia are somewhat remote from the world and large countries living within their own worlds. Although the USA does have land borders it is not apparent like Europe for example where one is constantly surrounded by cars from a host of neighbouring nations.

Hopefully it doesn't manifest into something more ugly further down the road. For the moment Australia is inclusive for most groups of people that come from elsewhere as are the nations symbols.

Err, the British when building their empire??

Cheers, Bobj.

Quite a lot were like my Great Uncle. He emigrated to Australia from London aged in his teens then joined up when the war started in the following year. They sent him back to France where he died on the Somme. Looking at historical records I see that a number of those boys were former Londoners who joined the AIF.

Archived