Driving licence for my 17 year old in WA

zoe1922

Hi,

I've just been reading up about changing our UK driving licences to WA ones when we arrive in a few months. I'm now more confused about my 17 year old sons licence than when I started :cry:

After much expense (!) he passed his driving test here in the UK in October. When we move over to WA in June/July 2014 I was presuming that as he had passed in the UK he was ok to just fill in the form and get his WA licence as me and my OH will. However, it now says since September 2012 if he is under 25 he has to resit both the theory and practical tests in WA - is this right?? Or will he get a WA licence but be restricted to P plates???

Any help you can give would be great...:wacko:

Thanks

That is correct you cannot sit for your learners permit until you are 16 I believe then once you pass theory and practical it is P Plates for 2 years now I have heard. The P is basically a provisionary licence pending the full licence once you complete your 2 years.

Hi,

I've just been reading up about changing our UK driving licences to WA ones when we arrive in a few months. I'm now more confused about my 17 year old sons licence than when I started :cry:

After much expense (!) he passed his driving test here in the UK in October. When we move over to WA in June/July 2014 I was presuming that as he had passed in the UK he was ok to just fill in the form and get his WA licence as me and my OH will. However, it now says since September 2012 if he is under 25 he has to resit both the theory and practical tests in WA - is this right?? Or will he get a WA licence but be restricted to P plates???

Thanks

Yes you are correct. He will have to sit his test here.

Hi,

Thanks

Yes, he will need to sit both the theory test and the practical test before being issued with a WA licence. He will then be on his P's for two years.

Because he already has a licence, he will not have to lodge the number of practical driving lessons etc, just sit the two tests.

It would be well worthwhile for him to have a couple of driving lessons with a certified instructor before he goes for the test though, this will help familiarise him with WA roads (road trains etc) - very very different to the UK in all respects and of course he is very inexperienced.

Hi all many thanks for your replies - he's gutted having just had to do both the theory and practical here in the UK makes it seem like a waste of time if they're not going to recognise a UK licence.:mad:

It's not a waste of time at all. He learnt to drive in the UK and will continue to build upon that experience here in WA.

He is only seventeen and really, to just have to take a practical driving test and relevant Australian theory test is not a big deal at all.

If anything it will add to his experience and open up any areas that need work on.

Also, he is actually lucky that he only has to take the theory and practical tests. Over here, to even get to that stage is hugely expensive and a far far lengthier process than in the UK.

Guest Guest26110

Hi, would these rules also apply in the state of NSW. I also have a 17 and 19 year old who both have a UK driving licence, will they have to resit their driving tests? Thanks

Hi, would these rules also apply in the state of NSW. I also have a 17 and 19 year old who both have a UK driving licence, will they have to resit their driving tests? Thanks

Each state has different rules.

Try google for NSW or perhaps someone liviing in NSW may come along.

He would still be told that he needs a P plate because of the length of time he has been driving.... had someone in 30's who didn't bother driving in uk but did test cuz would need it here........... got P plated because they hadn't been driving long enough....... it is not just based on age.....

Hi all many thanks for your replies - he's gutted having just had to do both the theory and practical here in the UK makes it seem like a waste of time if they're not going to recognise a UK licence.:mad:

Guest Guest26110
Each state has different rules.

Try google for NSW or perhaps someone liviing in NSW may come along.

Hi, I have tried this but cant find the right website, hoping someone can come along with an answer, thanks

• 3 months later...
Hi,

Thanks

In WA your son will not need to pass the theory and practical examinations as he is exempt.

He passed his test in the UK and was issued a UK licence. The United Kingdom is a 'recognised country' as per the WA Department of Transport and because of this they have an exemption policy for these recognised countries.

On arrival he can drive on his UK licence for a maximum period of three months then apply for a WA licence or apply on arrival if he so wishes. (Subject to him being a PR)

It appears that he will be restricted to P plates though, which limits some aspects of driving such as night time driving, blood alcohol and (similarly to the UK) reduced demerit point limit.

The links to this info are here:-

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/27676.asp

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/licensing/LBU_DL_B_AuthDriveWAOverseas.pdf

Hope this helps.

Just for clarity regarding my last post.

There is a difference between 'Recognised Country' and 'Experienced Driver Recognised Country' that is probably where the OP got the 25 year old part of the query from.

The UK falls under the 'recognised country' category.

That is not correct, he is not exempt.

He is only 17 (under 25) and therefore will need to do the theory and practical test again..

It is correct Sammy.

You are mistaking the difference between Recognised Country where no age limit applies and Experienced driver recognised country where an applicant must be 25 years old to be exempt.

Have a read of the WA DoT information in the links provided above, it is clearly explained.

In SA they gave my 20 year old an Oz license as he had a full UK one. Didn't ask about his driving experience at all. He doesn't have much as the insurance is so high in the UK but had recently done a pass plus. He can drive my car here but I want him to get more experience before he goes out alone. I also got a theory book as rules are different here.

• 4 months later...

CaptainC many thanks for your replies. Reading through I am sure you are right, which is very pleasing and he doesn't mind the P plates (and we completely understand why they do that with new drivers). He will have been driving for approx. 10 months when we arrive, so I am hoping they will take this time off the 2 years he needs to be on P plates - don't suppose you would know the answer to this at all, I can't see that it really explains that on the website??

Regards, Zoe

CaptainC many thanks for your replies. Reading through I am sure you are right, which is very pleasing and he doesn't mind the P plates (and we completely understand why they do that with new drivers). He will have been driving for approx. 10 months when we arrive, so I am hoping they will take this time off the 2 years he needs to be on P plates - don't suppose you would know the answer to this at all, I can't see that it really explains that on the website??

Regards, Zoe

Hi Zoe,

I can't find the guidance on P Plates for overseas drivers. It may well mean he will not need them at all as it says that they will give a driver a WA licence to the same class as the UK licence it replaces.

However I would think that they would impose a p plate restriction on him in line with other WA drivers with the 10 months driving experience taken into account.

I'm sure that the WA department of transport would give you more guidance when you actually apply to exchange licences.

• 2 months later...

Not exactly relevant to the original question, but get your kids through their driving test in the UK before you leave. It takes 12 months of supervised driving, one practical test and two computer tests before before you can drive unsupervised here in WA - if you are starting from scratch!

Archived