Passenger complains about passengers size.

Guest Guest66881

Guest Guest66881

A disgruntled traveller has penned a humorous open letter to Jetstar after being seated next to a person he referred to as “an infant hippopotamus”.

Travelling from Perth to Sydney, blogger Rich Wisken said he paid $25 for the space of an exit row seat, but was instead pinned to his seat by his fellow passenger.

jetystar_19c4bnt-19c4bo2.jpg

"Pinned to my seat by a fleshy boulder, I started preparing for a 127 Hours-like escape. Thankfully though, the beast moved slightly to his left, which allowed me to stand up, walk to the back of the plane and politely ask the cabin crew to be seated elsewhere”, he wrote.

Despite pleas of relocation to cabin crew, who informed him that seats at the rear of the plane were reserved for crew, Mr Wisken returned to his original seat.

“It was then I realised that my fate was sealed. I made my way back to Jabba the Hutt and spent the remainder of the flight smothered in side-boob and cellulite, taking shallow breaths to avoid noxious gas poisoning.”

http://au.totaltravel.yahoo.com/travel-ideas/news-opinions/news/a/-/20550715/man-complains-to-jetstar-over-obese-seatmate/?cmp=y7homepage

Guest Guest66881
And just what would be the point? Instant fat loss? Pleasure in embarrassing a person?

Any point?

I totally agree, i am not saying ridicule anyone - just saying his type are not the ones who can stand there ground anyway, rather run into a corner throwing sticks.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me that he went to speak to the cabin crew rather than embarrass the passenger. I have been on flights that have been as bad or worse - several work charters with a 180kg guy sat each side is not fun.

But at the same time, not sure the point of his complaint. We do the cheap flights knowing we will have a loss of space and things. If you want space book business on a scheduled flight. You pay for what you get.

Agree you pay for what you get. If someone pays for cheap flights they take the gamble.

Nothing wrong with asking to be moved - it's his down handed behaviour and he penned a really nasty letter to the airlines ridiculing the chap concerned and there was no need for that. Jetstar should be ashamed giving this idiot any mileage for posting his childish letter.

On another note; I've read airlines are aiming to make their seat sizes smaller to make more money and I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of silly airline behaviour is intended to aid in their cunning plan:skeptical:

I've sat next to an intoxicated young bloke on a flight home from Brisbane ( and no it wasn't my OH :laugh:) Although he wasn't large he sat legs akimbo and farted & burped whilst fast asleep the whole way! I just read my book and prayed I wouldnt need the loo :laugh: Its either that or a screaming baby sods law !

I had a young guy who fell asleep on my shoulder, he got on in Thailand and had traveled a long way to get the flight. When he woke up he was a nice young guy and did not have a bean to his name and was hoping that some family member would pick him up. He did not want to return to UK but ran out of cash. Now had he been fat I would have been so upset lol

Fat people should pay for 2 seats. I smoke and get taxed extra for health care so why don't fat people pay more! They will be the next target in the not so distant future once smoking is eliminated. Gotta raise those taxes somehow.

In fact Ryanair allow you to purchase an "adjacent comfort seat," but you don't get a second hand luggage allowance.

Guest Guest66881

I think the 'fatties' should get bigger meal portions on flights to, the door to the bogs need widening for normal sizes let alone us 'fatties':wink:

I had a bit of a laugh on a Ryanair out of Malaga a few years ago. As we went to board, there were three young girls who had bought a bottle of vodka at duty free just ahead of me. They wouldn't let them take it on as hand luggage, because they had no room. Sir Galahad here offered to "lend" them £40 to put it in the hold, but they decided instead to drink it. So I got on. As I was on my own, I got on last, I don't mind sitting anywhere. Anyway, there was actually a front row seat, 1B, so I asked the guy in 1A if he would move his sandwiches that were on the seat. F**k off! he said! I paid extra to get on first, so sit somewhere else. Well I wasn't having that was I? Called the stewardess, asked her to move the sandwiches and let me sit down which she did. He just went psycho, it was so bad, the poor guy in 1C moved.........I can't cope with you two, I'm off he said. So I moved into 1C, I was just about to tell the grumbler to put his butties back, when on came the three young girls, so I suggested to the first one she may like to take seat 1B. She was made up. She thanked me, turned round to the sandwich man asking "is this your son, he is a really nice man!" Sadly, the rush of vodka had caught up with her, and she threw up on his sandwiches.

Oh yeh, why is this on this thread, he said I was Obese.

I have always thought that they should weigh the person plus the luggage (and not just the luggage) and charge any excess fares based on total weight. Many people on a flight weigh more than me and my luggage put together yet if I am 1kg over on baggage I would have to pay extra - supposedly for the cost of the extra fuel. Heavy people must therefore cost a fortune in fuel by that criteria which is added to everyone's ticket price.

You know this anti fat-people flying thing is always so vitriolic. It seems that SMH likes to run a story once a month for people to launch into complaints and abuse in the comments section. I can't decide if it's an Aussie thing, or they just are fed stories in the SMH to rile them up.

I think it's so... I don't know... just reflective of a miserable bunch of people looking for someone to attack. As mentioned it's just as bad to be beside a drooling farting slim seatmate, or someone who drones on for the entire flight, or who is too tall etc. But it seems to be ok to abuse those who have probably spent their life trying and failing to fit into the 'norm'.

In all seriousness - can't we just be a bit nicer to each other? People vary in size and shape, and also in happiness, misery and health, all of which can influence their size. Travel is full of risks and benefits. The odd uncomfortable flight isn't too much to worry about. I have done that long flight to Aus and back probably over 30 times, so I've experienced every variation.

For full disclosure I'm a slightly larger than average woman, who has spent a lifetime struggling to lose the extra stone I carry about. Not enough to worry a seatmate, but it does make me realise that just saying 'keep on the salads fattie' isn't terribly helpful.

You know this anti fat-people flying thing is always so vitriolic. It seems that SMH likes to run a story once a month for people to launch into complaints and abuse in the comments section. I can't decide if it's an Aussie thing, or they just are fed stories in the SMH to rile them up.

I think it's so... I don't know... just reflective of a miserable bunch of people looking for someone to attack. As mentioned it's just as bad to be beside a drooling farting slim seatmate, or someone who drones on for the entire flight, or who is too tall etc. But it seems to be ok to abuse those who have probably spent their life trying and failing to fit into the 'norm'.

In all seriousness - can't we just be a bit nicer to each other? People vary in size and shape, and also in happiness, misery and health, all of which can influence their size. Travel is full of risks and benefits. The odd uncomfortable flight isn't too much to worry about. I have done that long flight to Aus and back probably over 30 times, so I've experienced every variation.

For full disclosure I'm a slightly larger than average woman, who has spent a lifetime struggling to lose the extra stone I carry about. Not enough to worry a seatmate, but it does make me realise that just saying 'keep on the salads fattie' isn't terribly helpful.

When it comes to flying - no. We should not expect to allow ourselves to be crammed between enormous bulks for hours on end, scarce able to move, without some measure of relief. One excellent way is to charge for the weight - it is a fair measure. Carry on your dumbbells if you wish - pay for the weight - same for the 120kg prop forward - same for the 180kg lardball. I think this is done in Samoa now already? I read a report that it worked quite well, and there is no issue about "discrimination" - just pay for your weight.

As for the farters and less-than-scrupulously-clean ... not much we can do is there? Back to the Elizabethan age, and put a scented handkerchief to your nose.

Men are naturally heavier than women. So therefore pay by weight is by its very nature discriminatory. And that's before we get into links between health, demographics and even ancestry.

The airlines will be the only winners in this. I can't see them reducing the costs for lighter passengers. For them the averages are really averages, so there isn't an additional cost from their point of view. In fact they'd probably lose as lighter passengers bring more luggage plus the additional costs of administering it.

When it comes to flying - no. We should not expect to allow ourselves to be crammed between enormous bulks for hours on end, scarce able to move, without some measure of relief. One excellent way is to charge for the weight - it is a fair measure. Carry on your dumbbells if you wish - pay for the weight - same for the 120kg prop forward - same for the 180kg lardball. I think this is done in Samoa now already? I read a report that it worked quite well, and there is no issue about "discrimination" - just pay for your weight.

As for the farters and less-than-scrupulously-clean ... not much we can do is there? Back to the Elizabethan age, and put a scented handkerchief to your nose.

Now and again i agree with you Doc,on this i think you're talking rhubarb,im 6ft2 and approx 15 stone,now as a doc you "might" say im overweight according to your charts(i dont know?),but im in proportion,not carrying pounds of flesh or anything,so why when i sit next to someone who is 5ft 10 and 12 stone should i pay more?im sitting in one seat,same as my neighbour

Archived