Should Camelot pay this 'scratch card' winner his money or not ?

calNgary

Poor guy, This old man bought a scratchcard that when scratched revealed he had won 80,000gbp,, however,, Camelot have said their was a printing error on the card and he only gets 2pound winnings, which even then is for another game on the same card.

The picture of the scratchie is in the article in the link but TBH im not sure how i would feel (gutted obviously,lol) if they card has gone on sale and been sold like that and it is obvious he hasnt personally tampered with it ,then should he not really get the amount it states you win, printing error or not?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2529307/Printing-error-robs-pensioner-80-000-lottery-win-Officials-say-cancer-patient-matched-numbers-claim-scratchcard-deleted.html

Cal x

Guest Guest16631

.......I think they should pay up......

........it's not his fault ......he bought it in good faith....

.......I'd sue for false advertising......

.........twice as much as the prize money too....!

Guest The Pom Queen

Yes they should pay out. Although they are under strict guidelines so not sure if they could if they wanted to. Poor guy.

Yes, once explained you can clearly see that it is a five with a line of printing missed. But I think as a gesture of goodwill they should pay something, even half.

ETA. Hmm however, if they did, could lead to people tampering with cards left right and centre? So I think it won't happen..

I think it's pretty clear when you look at it that there is a printing error. Maybe an old person wouldn't have picked it up? The dot on the line below is missing totally. A close look at the half missing word would have shown it wasn't a four too.

I don't think they should pay out, as rupert said, this will lead to other people trying to fiddle with their cards hoping for a compensation pay out.

Camelot should pay for this winning ticket.

But this is where we can all help.

Either don't buy, or buy fewer lottery tickets, and make sure we contact Camelot and tell them why.

The key point here is that Camelot have admitted this to be "a printing error." They have not tried to say that the card has been tampered with by the winner, although they do seem to be trying to distance themselves from the printing error, trying to make out it's like an act of god, or something.

I don't even think Camelot can hide behind their own rules here, the whole event seems to be covered by contract law, and I assume that these are Camelot's carefully vetted printers, it's not like the poor chap used his own printing company is it?

I think he should speak to one of these "no win no fee" lawyers.

Clearly the winner enters into a contract with Camelot by handing over his money for the ticket, that makes him Camelot's customer, to whom they have a duty of care. By using a faulty printing technique, Camelot have breached their duty of care, the primary legal test for negligence.

He may only get his original stake back for the tort, but could probably get some very tasty damages, and his legal costs paid.

Stuff it up 'em and good luck to him!

Archived