Pound on the rise

joe strummer

Good news too if you are a UK pensioner.

Still a long way to go to 2007 levels (when we left the UK).

Mike

LOL, those were the good old days and it sure made starting a new life here easier than today. I think we averaged $2.50 to the pound in late 2006 and 2007 when moving money.

Hubby not overly impressed with the rate going up now though, his little import company was just starting to do really well but the more that rate rises the less competitive his prices are,,

Cal x

I don't want to get my hopes up as every financial decision we have made has pretty much backfired - for example we bought a property to renovate at the highest month just before the crash and ended up in negative equity. We also moved over here when the exchange rate was really low.

We have a property in the UK that we will be looking to sell, if all goes to plan with applying for PR, around August 2014. IF the pound continues to rise and the rate gets up to 2 dollars to the pound, then this would be amazing for us and would allow us a decent deposit.

So hoping it will happen and our luck will change!

On the whole subject of the pound versus the Oz dollar, I am now living in Perth, but have three work pensions still paid monthly into a British bank account. Can anyone advise what they have found to be the most cost effective way to transfer funds across. I have been in the habit of making an International Transfer from the bank to my Oz bank account, but if it falls at a weekend it can take up to 72 hours to arrive, plus there is a GBP 30 charge each time. I can draw cash here (up to GBP 300 per day) and then pay it into my Oz bank account at a branch. In that case I am charged 2.99% for the withdrawal. Has anyone come across a more cost effective/time effective way of doing this?

I did consider doing that, but I still have financial committments back in the UK and need to pay bills there on a monthly basis. I guess I could arrange for a couple of the pensions to be paid direct to Oz, but whichever pension I left being paid into the UK account, the amount would not fully cover the UK committments so the problem would still exist, but in the other direction.

I use Currency Fair and have found them great €3 transfer fee last time i used it i think and great rates. ONce setup easy to use and very quick once you do it all right. You must notify CF when you are making a transfer so they can watch for it on their system

I don't want to get my hopes up as every financial decision we have made has pretty much backfired - for example we bought a property to renovate at the highest month just before the crash and ended up in negative equity. We also moved over here when the exchange rate was really low.

We have a property in the UK that we will be looking to sell, if all goes to plan with applying for PR, around August 2014. IF the pound continues to rise and the rate gets up to 2 dollars to the pound, then this would be amazing for us and would allow us a decent deposit.

Don't want to be negative, but if you bring money over to OZ don't you have to pay tax on the financial gain you have made from the date you arrived. So if you have gained 10 grand from a rising currency that will be taxed. I think this applies after 6 months entry date or used to. Someone may have better knowledge than me but I think this still applies for pensions as well.

Don't want to be negative, but if you bring money over to OZ don't you have to pay tax on the financial gain you have made from the date you arrived. So if you have gained 10 grand from a rising currency that will be taxed. I think this applies after 6 months entry date or used to. Someone may have better knowledge than me but I think this still applies for pensions as well.

The house is currently rented out and the income is declared on our UK tax return (not here in Oz though as we are on a 457). Once we hopefully get our PR (we are eligible in March as long as the company backs us), then we will sell the house.

I hear that, in terms of Capital Gains Tax, that it is linked to the value when we get our PR.

I might be missing something else though?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived