Where would you rather grow old: Australia or UK?

Guest spreadingwings

It's strange but I really don't know. Until last month I could not envisage being 40, and then suddenly I was. I can't envisage being old or where I want to live and suspect I won't be able to until it happens.

I think I will want to be in the same country as my children, so I can see them easily, but being children of wandering souls, I cannot even guess where my kids will end up.

I quite like the idea of buying a campervan and travelling here and there, wherever the wind takes me. I might try for going round the world in a campervan, that would be fun! Then I would be everywhere and nowhere!

I always had the same thought but being 53 now I find I like a degree more comfort and suspect that will be more so when I am in my 60s. Would still love to do the travel as I went straight to work at 16 with none of the gap year or backpacking that many others did. The problem will be how to afford it hmmmmm.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest16631

........I don't know tbh........

.........but the place I would get the most help.......family or care.....

........where I can afford to be comfortable............not always the same as happy.....ime....!

........contentment is a big need........as we get older IMO....

........often the things we thought were so necessary in life.....

........pale into insignificance compared to ......

..........warmth........good food.........and a bit of comfort.......

...........family near is a bonus......

...........but what we need as we get older.........can be so different to what we perceive as needs.......ime of course......tink x

Actually its not which country that matters but where and we do not have a lot of control over that. My oh wanted to be at home but that was not to be. I want to be at home but who knows.

Only thing that is sure is that its going to happen one day and we do not know when, hence my harping on about living in the minute and the day as though its one's last.

My ashes will be mixed with my oh and tossed into the sea, or into someone's face if the wind is blowing the wrong way lol

My village in the UK has a high proportion of oldies.... a bit boring when you're young, but great as you get older - good country pubs, national park, fitness classes, great transport. For us little choice as we would not be nearly wealthy enough to retire in Australia..... if you're in the house by the sea/able to afford a boat ball park, and have made good friends here, I can see how it could be very attractive. The warmth is good for old bones!

But I need affordable medical care, want to be near a supportive community of like minded folk - and to grow old disgracefully drinking real ale down the pub - also to be able to take holidays to warmer climes and get there in a couple of hours. So UK for me .. and if I win the lotto, I'll pop back from Jan to April to get some Queensland sun!

My village in the UK has a high proportion of oldies.... a bit boring when you're young, but great as you get older - good country pubs, national park, fitness classes, great transport. For us little choice as we would not be nearly wealthy enough to retire in Australia..... if you're in the house by the sea/able to afford a boat ball park, and have made good friends here, I can see how it could be very attractive. The warmth is good for old bones!

But I need affordable medical care, want to be near a supportive community of like minded folk - and to grow old disgracefully drinking real ale down the pub - also to be able to take holidays to warmer climes and get there in a couple of hours. So UK for me .. and if I win the lotto, I'll pop back from Jan to April to get some Queensland sun!

The warmth sounds very attractive .....although this morning aint bad here....frost on the ground ...it could be worse .

But getting back to WARMTH , that to me is 20 -25c ....I don't want 40c plus now, that isn't warmth that's HEAT ....when I was 22 yeah , at 52 , I want the pub ,and everything close .

The other thing is being able to get on a coach or a plane and go somewhere in Europe for a few days at the drop of a hat or Rome or Paris for the 6 nations, that has been talked about

All the couples are off to Amsterdam for the weekend soon .....

10 of the lads in the pub ,took off for a few days to watch Ajax v Celtic the other week ..........only one or 2 were celtic , the rest were brummies , going for a few beers and the craic

If myself and the boss aren't up to that , throw a small case in the car and go to stow on the wold or bourton on the water for the weekend ......its only an hour away

I wouldn't miss the winter weather nov - march in the u.k ,sat on the m6 in the rain and sleet aint fun ,but I would miss the choice if I went back to oz

...................and away we go again, same 'ol, same 'ol.

It is a simple question, not a UN debate. Always the competition, and only Australia v UK.

Ad nauseum.

Why doesn't it surprise me Australia comes out worse in your unofficial poll....................classic FOC :laugh:

If nothing your predictable.............

I DO actually mean this sincerely believe it or not: thanks for the laugh! It is always amusing to see someone so staunchly promote what they have no experience of.

Love it Flattie. A bit of an over exaggeration on your part...As usual.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Ditto.

So, you like exaggerating. Possibly why most people take you comments with a grain of salt.

Cheers, Bobj.

Ditto. Do you see the irony in this comment???

I like reading all opinions, that's why I multiquote. It's interesting.

But I didn't bother to finish reading the thread this time, because I have read this before. Repeatedly.

Was it impossible to just answer the OP's question without the usual?

Apparently so.

I am not sure at the moment, but as I am looking at moving permanently to Australia, I would like to think that I would want to stay in my home which would be there….I can't see why I would give everything up that I know and love there (should it happen) to come back to a place I left because I was not happy in it, to live the last of my days……just my opinion of course. However, it will of course be where I would be most happy and perhaps where I would have family around to comfort me and listen to my bonkers stories over and over and over again because I know I will be a crazy lady and probably have a lot of cats too

Guest Guest 47403
Actually not that mature in age but I understand the constant dispatch of wisdom, more than likely suggests a ripening in years...

I was thinking more along the lines of senility suggesting ripening years, ie always talking rubbish :wink:

I don't think anyone in there right mind would want to spend there older years in the UK, it's not the cold because we don't get very cold weather, but the damp kills so many pensioners every year, and the short days are truly horrendous.

It's no surprise Australia has a higher life expectancy.

How much longer is the life expectancy in Australia?

I heard this mentioned the other day and wonder what the thoughts are around this. Regardless of your age now, where do you think you'd most like to be when you're 70 and older: Australia or UK? And why? Medical reasons? Weather? Comfort? Ease of access to health care? Ease of transport? Safety?

...and how about you ? Where would you like to grow old ? :huh:

Guest spreadingwings
...and how about you ? Where would you like to grow old ? :huh:

You know, it's extremely difficult to say one way or the other. Even more so after reading all these comments. What I know for sure is that living in both countries would be an amazing experience for different reasons, and wherever connects with you most will be your home. If I'm living somewhere I love, and that loves me back in all the right ways, I'll be happy :)

I don't think anyone in there right mind would want to spend there older years in the UK, it's not the cold because we don't get very cold weather, but the damp kills so many pensioners every year, and the short days are truly horrendous.

It's no surprise Australia has a higher life expectancy.

Sorry if I repeat any other posts on this Baz (I'm in between jobs at home atm lol)but I know,and so do you probably,that people also die in hot weather!I think staying active in the UK during "damp"weather is important.Its been pretty much as dry as a ducks butt where I live,although we have had some much needed rain this week!

Guest spreadingwings

No it doesn't. In that report the UK ranks above Australia.

Guest spreadingwings
No it doesn't. In that report the UK ranks above Australia.

Oops, quite right. Right next to each other though: Australia 14th and UK 13th

I heard this mentioned the other day and wonder what the thoughts are around this. Regardless of your age now, where do you think you'd most like to be when you're 70 and older: Australia or UK? And why? Medical reasons? Weather? Comfort? Ease of access to health care? Ease of transport? Safety?

I see the top 4 are all in western Europe ...proves a point really .

Taking everything into account , western Europe is the place ....take your pick

I heard the same about Australia....is that right?

Depends a lot on status in regards to if a private patient or public or even more important if someone of ability is advocating for you. I'd say a question of when intervention is curtailed than out and out euthanasia but much the same thing in the end. Both countries pretty much equal to reports I've heard.

Archived