Moved to Warnbro,W.A,from Putney but miss London so much

Neil Partner

Sorry your feeling a bit low and missing London. It must be so different for you moving from a suburb like Putney to the laid back location you live now.

As much as London does me in sometimes I'm sure I'm gonna miss it heaps. But lets think about the downsides of SW15 (and London in general). And of course London is going to be more interesting to you, it's what your used to. And it's a massive City dating back from the dark ages and all the History and investment which go with it.

Less people using the pavements in Warnbro! how many times did you have to side step to avoid bashing in to someone texting or in a hurry (do you really miss the busy streets).The blooming traffic at a stand still from the A3 to the bridge. Avoiding all the cyclists who ride en mass now on the roads! The Roehampton estate? I moved there as a three year old and then to the Lennox Estate (not nice), The pubs at chucking out time? Dryburgh swimming pool (I bet the Warnbro pools are a lot nicer) and lets be honest Putney High Street lost its appeal a longtime ago, everyone uses tinternet anyhow. Nick Clegg as a resident!

I always find I romanticise about the places I'm familiar with when I'm away from them. The reality is Putney/London is not the beall and end all (why did we want out in the first place). Hope you find a way to deal with the homesickness, I'll have to find a way when we move out next year cos I know it will manifest itself. Start planning a holiday back, knowing something is still accessible always helps.

Hope it works out for you guys x

London is more interesting because of what is on offer. Not really a question of being used to the city in my view, as plenty of global folk move there and don't want to leave. Of course if you like to go to a beach Perth is your place. Less go these days than in the past though. Few I know ever or seldom go. With regards to Putney if bored there easy access to other interesting places.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to say very well said B61, for fear of wading in here....A well considered and accurate post followed by Bobj.... It's not a very compelling case really........Just in case, some facts ... firstly, Putney is on a River, a Brown one at that not the emerald Indian Ocean. It is not a coastal settlement. Perth is. It doesnt have 'beaches'. Where does the Perth beach stop....back where it started...... Not really comparable would you say ??? The dig rather reminds me of when our good friends up the seven sisters road remind us of a far and distant win against there good friends from up the seven sisters road, when we consistently keep our good friends from up the seven sisters road firmly in there place.

agreed ,,,but look what surrounds London , for all its faults ...the Cotswolds .....oxford ...Salisbury .....Stonehenge .....dorset ....devon ...cornwall ....millions of acres of greenery ....fantastic villages steeped in history .......village life ...the pubs ,,,,Scotland a days drive away ....north wales ...bath ....Europe just over the water ......and what exactly surrounds Perth ?...the ocean ......AND ....ERM ? ......Trips down to Margaret river or pemberton ....nothing wrong with that ....but its a no contest

I had no intention of getting involved in *** for tat ....I have no issue or dislike of perth , and the 2 are polar opposites ....but if you are going to have a dig , expect a reply .

I suspect your seven sisters reference is to arsenal and spurs ....carry on

I've heard that said a lot. Surely it can't be that bad?

WA is incredible - the Kimberley, the South West, Ningaloo and so so much uninhabited land. It's hard to get around though unless you have a lot of time or a lot of money - you can fly to the US from the UK for less than a flight from Perth to Broome. And flying from one habitation to another isn't the way to appreciate it anyway. One day I'll come back with at least 3 months is hand and a camper van - something I could never afford to do living there :)

Not going to get into the 'is Perth dull' debate :)

I've heard that said a lot. Surely it can't be that bad?

A little dull doesn't need to equate to being bad. Some enjoy dull. The sun still shines and there are those beaches folk go on about. A bungalow in the suburbs with perhaps a pool and not a lot to get distracted with the need of thinking too much is indeed some folk's idea of a paradise of sorts.

Guest Guest 47403
A little dull doesn't need to equate to being bad. Some enjoy dull. The sun still shines and there are those beaches folk go on about. A bungalow in the suburbs with perhaps a pool and not a lot to get distracted with the need of thinking too much is indeed some folk's idea of a paradise of sorts.

Why so bitter about WA? You have choice (or do you?) move on if it's as bad as you make out.

Just shy of 1 million sq miles of dullness :skeptical:

I think some people prefer to live in high rise blocks in inner city areas where everyone knows everyone else, where you call the shop keeper, barman and butcher by there first name and have a art gallery at one end of the road and a theatre the other, in the eyes of some that may be dull.

You've just described our life, it's a happy one for us for sure, but if we want more there is Margaret River & Bussleton just a two hour drive away or Perth CBD just a 45 minute train ride. Our nearest decent restaurant/ bar is a 10 minute drive away and because we live in " dullsville" it's quiet and peaceful and cheap, with an amazing private school 500 metres away which we can afford because our dullsville estate has cheaper housing and I can afford to fly east twice a year for holidays. I love my dull life :cool:

I never cease to be amazed by posts like this. You move from one of the worlds busiest, most vibrant cities in the world to a quiet suburb 50km south of Perth. Seriously, what on earth did you expect? The 2 couldn't be more different. Good luck with what happens next.

Well I think he is allowed to try something different and realises he doesnt like it isnt he?

It's easy to explain have felt the same myself in days past. Perth does not or come close to filling in the gap created by leaving London. A completely different way of thinking needs to be undertaken or it probably won't work.

I agree....but changing how you think is very very very hard.....people have to go through serious counselling to achieve that...honestly, how we THINK is essentially WHO WE ARE.

Yes I know there completely different but until you try these things you are not going to know what they are like.

i have been here for 17 months and there are things I love here in Warnbro like paddle boarding,great weather,bike rides out door live.

but it's the family ,friends from years, .But I have made good friends here and have great house by beach so feel very grateful..I am just keeping busy with children and gardens and enjoying family stuff,seem to be lhappy at mo,not making any plans .

thanks for reply

Just how we felt...(except we didnt really make any good friends)

Beautiful beaches, amazing walks, amazing surfing, fabulous coffee, a house one block from the beach, ate out every day, easy job, new car, pots of cash

BUT SOMETHING FUNDAMENTALLY MISSING FROM OUR LIVES!

Sorry your feeling a bit low and missing London. It must be so different for you moving from a suburb like Putney to the laid back location you live now.

As much as London does me in sometimes I'm sure I'm gonna miss it heaps. But lets think about the downsides of SW15 (and London in general). And of course London is going to be more interesting to you, it's what your used to. And it's a massive City dating back from the dark ages and all the History and investment which go with it.

Less people using the pavements in Warnbro! how many times did you have to side step to avoid bashing in to someone texting or in a hurry (do you really miss the busy streets).The blooming traffic at a stand still from the A3 to the bridge. Avoiding all the cyclists who ride en mass now on the roads! The Roehampton estate? I moved there as a three year old and then to the Lennox Estate (not nice), The pubs at chucking out time? Dryburgh swimming pool (I bet the Warnbro pools are a lot nicer) and lets be honest Putney High Street lost its appeal a longtime ago, everyone uses tinternet anyhow. Nick Clegg as a resident!

I always find I romanticise about the places I'm familiar with when I'm away from them. The reality is Putney/London is not the beall and end all (why did we want out in the first place). Hope you find a way to deal with the homesickness, I'll have to find a way when we move out next year cos I know it will manifest itself. Start planning a holiday back, knowing something is still accessible always helps.

Hope it works out for you guys x

That is exactly what we missed.....busyness (is that a word?

Sorry but trying to lighten up the post. If you think it's difficult now, I moved to Lusaka Zambia from London in the swinging 60's!!! Where trust me it was all happening!! I survived, so hope you can adjust. Life is what you make it where ever you are.

I think you're right, you do romanticize about a place once you've left - I read the above and think - Yes I do miss the busy streets, the hussle and the bussle, places to be people to see.... traffic on the A3/A4 was a pain, but then the flip side is that traffic on the Kwinana is also a right royal pain in a morning. When I lived in Putney I could cycle along the river to work in 20 minutes, here I don't have a choice. The Swimming pools down the A3 were quite nice actually, the Lido at Hampton? Lovely on a (not very often) sunny day. Also the Leisure center in Putney was pretty good for a swimming pool, the one I pay for here at Bibra Lake isn't any better. And at least Putney has a high street, Warnbro doesn't! (a shopping centre doesn't count).

But I did leave Putney despite loving it - moved out to Windsor so the husband could go one way on the M4 (Newbury) and I could go the other (Chiswick). Now that was a commute that wasn't much fun on a morning! And again, we loved Windsor - but always had a hankering for something new - hence Australia.

My post was some what intended to be a bit tongue in cheek! We live in Richmond but I grew up nearer Putney. I love it here and we have some fab out door pools ie pools on the park (albeit when it's warm enough), and cycling along the tow path to central Richmond and all the nice pubs/bars dotted along it.

We have a lot of relies in Bracknell and love MTBing in Swinley Forest. Nice part of the world :)

Just find it hard to understand why someone who is so used to living in a huge city would decide to up sticks and move half way round the world to live in a quiet suburb. (Just for the record I've never been to Perth but I know it wouldn't suit us as a family). Like you we're not moving because I can't stand it here, we want the adventure and the timings just right for us. We're off to GC and we're lucky because both our kids will be comming with us. I'm guessing a lot of the OP woes come from being apart from one of his. That would make me feel pretty crap too.

WA is incredible - the Kimberley, the South West, Ningaloo and so so much uninhabited land. It's hard to get around though unless you have a lot of time or a lot of money - you can fly to the US from the UK for less than a flight from Perth to Broome. And flying from one habitation to another isn't the way to appreciate it anyway. One day I'll come back with at least 3 months is hand and a camper van - something I could never afford to do living there :)

Not going to get into the 'is Perth dull' debate :)

no nor would I say perth is dull ....the view from kings park over the swan is simply stunning ....a new clean city with great weather. ( most of the time ) ....but if someone starts having a dig at the u.k , which I feel is unfair , expect a reply

Guest Guest 47403
Well I think he is allowed to try something different and realises he doesnt like it isnt he?

I've just read through the OP's posts again and can't find where he said he doesn't like it! Doesn't he describe it as a great place in his initial post? The way I read it was he's missing where he lived in the UK.

Some people read what they want to read at times (or what they wish the OP was saying perhaps), rather than what is actually posted.

• 2 weeks later...
That is exactly what we missed.....busyness (is that a word?[/quote

Torquay is a retirement village. I'm still not sure how you missed that?

You've just described our life, it's a happy one for us for sure, but if we want more there is Margaret River & Bussleton just a two hour drive away or Perth CBD just a 45 minute train ride. Our nearest decent restaurant/ bar is a 10 minute drive away and because we live in " dullsville" it's quiet and peaceful and cheap, with an amazing private school 500 metres away which we can afford because our dullsville estate has cheaper housing and I can afford to fly east twice a year for holidays. I love my dull life :cool:

If your happy to live in dullsville that's fine. Of course it isn't all bad or even bad. Some would just prefer a little more than having the well trodden paths leading to Margaret River and Busselton as the prescribed escape perhaps.

Archived