Australians don't want to come to the UK

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

AUSTRALIANS are no longer the biggest migrators to the mother country with better a lifestyle, wages and working conditions keeping them at home.

But new figures released in London show the British don't just watch our TV shows, drink our beer and enjoy fierce sporting rivalry; they also continue to flock Down Under to live, in a migration pattern largely unchanged for more than two decades.

The UK's Office for National Statistics report showed in the 12 months to June this year, 503,000 people moved to the UK, a slight drop from the previous year, including 27,000 Australians.

For the first time the Chinese were the biggest migrators to Britain with 40,000 citizens moving in, followed by India, Poland, the USA and Australia and Spain equally rounding out the top 5.

Ten years earlier, in 2002, Australians were in top spot of migrators to the UK followed by the Chinese, Americans, South Africans and Germans.

Twenty years ago it was pretty much the same except there were more New Zealanders than South Africans. Those were the days when Earls Court was known as Kangaroo Valley, the TNT magazine was the travellers bible both in size and religious following and there was a Walkabout pub everywhere you looked.

The attraction to the UK then had always been cultural and financial, with the pound at one stage worth three times as much as the dollar. But the past few years has seen a reversal of fortunes and more Aussies stayed away or returned home from Britain, attracted by the stronger economy back home. The trend began in about 2007 with the downturn in the British economy and jobs market and has continued to today. That social change has also been reflected in other ways with Earls Court somewhat gentrified and an expensive place to live, TNT is the size of a large newsletter and last month the flagship Walkabout in Shepherds Bush in west London closed down due to lack of expat support. The original Walkabout in Covent Garden also closed earlier this year.

On the flip side, in 1992 Australia was the second highest emigration destination for Britons after the United States but then from 1997 to 2012, it has remained as the top choice.

That means Australia continues as one of the few countries in the world to consistently remain on top for immigration and emigration with the UK.

Ironically, a raft of visa changes in Britain has made it harder for its own citizens who have married a non-Briton or EU citizen to return home as a couple or a family, prompting many to continue to live "in exile" in non-EU countries including Australia. It's designed to weed out sham marriages but has affected genuine Australian-British relationships and families.

Migration to the UK is currently a hot topic in Westminster with Prime Minister David Cameron looking at cutting access to social benefits for migrants coming in, predominantly from the EU.

He is expected to use a meeting in Lithuania today with European leaders to push for a clampdown on mass migration expected from new EU states such as Romania and Bulgaria. The idea is to make the nation less attractive for those wanting to come to the UK simply to claim benefits which may be higher than what is available to them in their own home states.

The clampdown comes ahead of next month when restrictions on Bulgarians and Romanians moving to Britain are removed as per EU laws, raising fears millions will travel to Britain just to claims benefits.

Made me think that.. I have never in all my life seen a chinese bricky. They must have brickies surely..

Maybe they have more sense?! i haven't either tbh,only worked with one black bricky in Liverpool as well,strange i suppose,saying that,the population here "seems" mostly white tho compared to other places,loads of asian builders getting treated like dogs in Qatar atm tho i read!

Right,back to trying to stream the match,aaaaarghhh

AUSTRALIANS are no longer the biggest migrators to the mother country with better a lifestyle, wages and working conditions keeping them at home.

But new figures released in London show the British don't just watch our TV shows, drink our beer and enjoy fierce sporting rivalry; they also continue to flock Down Under to live, in a migration pattern largely unchanged for more than two decades.

The UK's Office for National Statistics report showed in the 12 months to June this year, 503,000 people moved to the UK, a slight drop from the previous year, including 27,000 Australians.

For the first time the Chinese were the biggest migrators to Britain with 40,000 citizens moving in, followed by India, Poland, the USA and Australia and Spain equally rounding out the top 5.

Ten years earlier, in 2002, Australians were in top spot of migrators to the UK followed by the Chinese, Americans, South Africans and Germans.

Twenty years ago it was pretty much the same except there were more New Zealanders than South Africans. Those were the days when Earls Court was known as Kangaroo Valley, the TNT magazine was the travellers bible both in size and religious following and there was a Walkabout pub everywhere you looked.

The attraction to the UK then had always been cultural and financial, with the pound at one stage worth three times as much as the dollar. But the past few years has seen a reversal of fortunes and more Aussies stayed away or returned home from Britain, attracted by the stronger economy back home. The trend began in about 2007 with the downturn in the British economy and jobs market and has continued to today. That social change has also been reflected in other ways with Earls Court somewhat gentrified and an expensive place to live, TNT is the size of a large newsletter and last month the flagship Walkabout in Shepherds Bush in west London closed down due to lack of expat support. The original Walkabout in Covent Garden also closed earlier this year.

On the flip side, in 1992 Australia was the second highest emigration destination for Britons after the United States but then from 1997 to 2012, it has remained as the top choice.

That means Australia continues as one of the few countries in the world to consistently remain on top for immigration and emigration with the UK.

Ironically, a raft of visa changes in Britain has made it harder for its own citizens who have married a non-Briton or EU citizen to return home as a couple or a family, prompting many to continue to live "in exile" in non-EU countries including Australia. It's designed to weed out sham marriages but has affected genuine Australian-British relationships and families.

Migration to the UK is currently a hot topic in Westminster with Prime Minister David Cameron looking at cutting access to social benefits for migrants coming in, predominantly from the EU.

He is expected to use a meeting in Lithuania today with European leaders to push for a clampdown on mass migration expected from new EU states such as Romania and Bulgaria. The idea is to make the nation less attractive for those wanting to come to the UK simply to claim benefits which may be higher than what is available to them in their own home states.

The clampdown comes ahead of next month when restrictions on Bulgarians and Romanians moving to Britain are removed as per EU laws, raising fears millions will travel to Britain just to claims benefits.

The wheel is turning full circle; this was the same with the Pakistani and West Indian immigration in the 50s and early 60s.

Cheers, Bobj.

Loads more Brits in Aus and Perth especially then there ever used to be and immigration has apparently got tighter, don't think I believe that. I've got no issue with it, just wish all people who came here (Brit or otherwise) learnt the road rules (you don't indicate right and then left to exit in the left lane of a roundabout if you are going straight ahead!)

Ten years back and no Polish in the stats? A mite suss I'd suggest. Right about Earls Court though. Checked it out a few years back. Most the bedsitters that dominated (bedsit land) had been converted back into flats. I spotted three woman pushing strollers, (almost unheard off in its hay day)

Aussies are of course increasingly inclined to go to America. UK immigration to Australia last year actually declined some 16% on previous year.

The only reason this had changed is for to the visa restrictions. Aussies are now unable to get skilled visas and South Africans can't get visas at all. Work sponsored being exception. So it's not a factor of wanting to or not. I know loads if South Africans who are distraught at not being able to come work and live in the uk. Hence majority of them are now turning to aus. Pity as these ppl have helped uk economy a lot.

Guest Guest 47403
Maybe they have more sense?! i haven't either tbh,only worked with one black bricky in Liverpool as well,strange i suppose,saying that,the population here "seems" mostly white tho compared to other places,loads of asian builders getting treated like dogs in Qatar atm tho i read!

I've always found Liverpool very white pabs, with a fair few mixed race families but not a strong black community. Any thoughts on why?

I've always found Liverpool very white pabs, with a fair few mixed race families but not a strong black community. Any thoughts on why?

Haven't a clue mate tbh,ethnic families tend to live in Toxteth,parts of Wavertree and Kensington mate,funnily enuf i read Liverpool has the oldest black community in Britain and the oldest Chinese community in Europe.

Ive never checked the stats tbh(just have),91% white British,from 1830 to 1930 9 million migrated from Liverpool to America etc,so "some" must have stayed behind i guess,i know the population of Liverpool was once 20% Irish or more,so we had plenty of migrants from there,in fact we even had an elected Irish nationalist MP voted in,there's the Orange order as a legacy of Irish migration here too,plus nearly 50% catholic population as opposed to the norm of about 8%,so migration changed us,but its mostly been Irish

Honestly cant see why there isnt more minorities here,i like to think we're welcoming as a city,are we as welcoming to other races? i dont know mate,i know i would be,there must be a reason for it tho?!

Maybe because it hasnt been the best city for work is all i can think

Guest Guest 47403
Haven't a clue mate tbh,ethnic families tend to live in Toxteth,parts of Wavertree and Kensington mate,funnily enuf i read Liverpool has the oldest black community in Britain and the oldest Chinese community in Europe.

Ive never checked the stats tbh(just have),91% white British,from 1830 to 1930 9 million migrated from Liverpool to America etc,so "some" must have stayed behind i guess,i know the population of Liverpool was once 20% Irish or more,so we had plenty of migrants from there,in fact we even had an elected Irish nationalist MP voted in,there's the Orange order as a legacy of Irish migration here too,plus nearly 50% catholic population as opposed to the norm of about 8%,so migration changed us,but its mostly been Irish

Honestly cant see why there isnt more minorities here,i like to think we're welcoming as a city,are we as welcoming to other races? i dont know mate,i know i would be,there must be a reason for it tho?!

Maybe because it hasnt been the best city for work is all i can think

I usually drive into the city from the 62 so down edge lane, a couple of month back had to go to Speke first then the city and had never drove in that way wondered if the drive in would be through a more multicultural area so to speak but no still predominately white................

Some boffin somewhere will know why historically, could be the work though I suppose.

I usually drive into the city from the 62 so down edge lane, a couple of month back had to go to Speke first then the city and had never drove in that way wondered if the drive in would be through a more multicultural area so to speak but no still predominately white................

Some boffin somewhere will know why historically, could be the work though I suppose.

Edge lane needs bombing,they've spent billions on the city centre and one of the main arteries into the city is a disgrace,but they're improving it now to be fair.

Its a good question tho Baz,i wondered if the city's links to the slave trade would put people off,but it never put them off Bristol and London,plus it was so long ago,we were "very" involved in the American civil war tho,Britain had to pay the Union millions in compensation because of Liverpools part in the civil war

We built the Confederate warships,we crewed them even,the Alabama is still the most successful warship ever,crewed by Liverpool seamen,56 kills in the American Civil war,the last Confederate warship sailed "home" to Liverpool to surrender,so we've had a dark past with that involvement,but it was that long ago i cant see that having any impact

Must be the work situation in the past,i would go to manchester or the south east if i was a migrant after work

Guest Guest 47403

I haven't drove down edge lane for a while I was coming in to the city regular in the build up to city of culture and they were widening edge lane, all the properties along the road and the streets behind had been acquired/bought and had metal sheeting over the doors and windows, not a good advertisement, has that area been developed or is it still the same?

I haven't drove down edge lane for a while I was coming in to the city regular in the build up to city of culture and they were widening edge lane, all the properties along the road and the streets behind had been acquired/bought and had metal sheeting over the doors and windows, not a good advertisement, has that area been developed or is it still the same?

The bottom end has Baz,mount Vernon etc,near the uni,top end still an eyesore tho

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't see many down the pit either pabs.

Archived