Australia Zoo - Tiger Mauls Keeper

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

THE Australia Zoo trainer mauled by a tiger is being flown to the Royal Brisbane Hospital in a serious condition.

The man is on board the RACQ Careflight helicopter where he is being treated for a wound to the neck.

The RACQ Careflight helicopter landed at the zoo shortly after 3pm where paramedics are treating the man for a bite to the neck.

Guest The Pom Queen

Nothing is being said apart from he is in a serious condition which I'm sure he will be. I've been bit by an Asian Leopard Cat and I know the damage and pain caused and that is nothing compared to the size of a tiger. The problem is the tiger may have only been playing but what will they do now, put it to sleep, I hope not.

Zoos need to realise that wild animals will always have their natural instincts.

Guest The Pom Queen

Update

SPECTATORS have spoken of the shocking moment a Sumatran tiger lashed out at its trainer at Australia Zoo this afternoon.

The trainer was believed to have been mauled following a tiger show about 3.15pm.

The man, believed to be aged 30, has been flown to the Royal Brisbane Hospital in a serious condition.

Up to 50 people witnessed the attack happen.

Emergency services were called to Qld's Australia Zoo after a man was attacked by a tiger.

Among them was 14-year-old Jake D'Olimpio who had been watching the performance with his mother.

He told The Courier-Mail he saw the tiger jump on the front of its trainer and lunge at the man's neck with his jaws.

``It was horrifying,'' he said.

A trainer has been bitten by a tiger at Australia Zoo at Beerwah, on the Sunshine Coast.

``They fell in the water and the tiger was trying to hold him under.

``The other trainers, maybe four of them, tried to fight the tiger off.

``One of them was hitting it with a stick.''

Jake said prior to the attack the handler had been patting and playing with the animal.

Australia Zoo director Wes Mannion said the zoo's focus now was on the injured trainer and his family.

He said the man had wounds to his shoulder and the side of his neck.

``It was an accident,'' he said.

``It was not an act of aggression.

``It was part of a routine and just an unfortunate mistake.''

When asked what would happen to the tiger, Mr Mannion said: ``Nothing.''

EARLIER, the man was taken aboard the RACQ Careflight helicopter where he was being treated for a wound to the neck.

The helicopter landed at the zoo shortly after 3pm.

"They are treating the patient at the moment,'' a spokeswoman said.

She said the man, believed to be aged 30, would be assessed airlifted to hospital once the severity of his injuries have been assessed.

Australia Zoo keeps three Bengal and eight Sumatran tigers.

The zoo offers visitors photos with the tigers at 3:15pm every day for $400 per person.

Hope the man is ok - sounds nasty.

I have been to the tiger show at Australia Zoo and was really surprised about how they are treated as if they are completely "tame" - the trainers in with them and having the tigers put their paws up on their shoulders etc. I always wondered how it was possible to trust a wild animal in that way. Will be interesting to find out exactly what happened.

I do hope that the tiger is not destroyed. It is simply doing what comes naturally to it. Unfortunately, the big cat handlers are taking a risk by getting in to the same area as the cats. The way I look at it, is that the tiger (or lion or whatever) is a bigger and more wild version of a domestic cat. If you had a dog which was bigger and more wild than a domestic dog, would you get in to a small arena with it and make it do tricks? Probably not, so why is it acceptable with big cats? I hope that makes sense...!

I hope he recovers but unless a zoo's primary aim is to breed endangered animals for release in the wild they should be shut down. I'm no politically correct lefty but animals should not be used for entertainment or kept in cages where they cannot behave normally. The last time I visited a zoo was many years ago and was shocked to see how the larger animals in particular were kept at Paignton Zoo. The giraffes looked so depressed, I have refused to go to a zoo ever since.

If you want to see these animals watch a documentary or go on a safari.

Archived