Gas fires - gas experts needed

VERYSTORMY

Well, we are busy with the design for the house build and what we want (hard choices against what we can afford) but my wife's main thing is she wants a gas fire - even though we are having ducted RC.

But, we have just gone round all the companies and we are looking at a min of $5k. Not good. So, it got me thinking. Could i buy one on line from the uk as just pay to get it fitted? The gas systems are effectively the same, so can't see why not. Any ideas?

We have a gas heater and it's nothing like any I have seen in the UK, particularly the connection. What would you do for warranty etc if it broke?

For the price difference I can live with the warranty. Though a number are the exact same model between here and uk.

This is one of the models we are looking at http://www.fires2u.com/product/591/verine-atina-slimline-hole-in-the-wall-gas-fire.html#

We are also building and I too want a gas fire - in the living room and the family room - even though we are having ducted RC. We have got the builders to put in a capped gas point and will put the gas fires in as and when we get round to/can afford it.

I'm no sure about bringing in a fire from the UK though. It may be that the fires are made differently for different countries and the same model isn't actually the same at all. I'd be tempted to have a chat with some of the places that sell gas fires if no one on here knows. Some will give you rubbish sales talk but there will probably be someone around who is helpful and may even be able to source the fire you want as well. Although if it is possible to bring one over I wouldn't be surprised if the shipping and duty eat up a fair bit of the savings.

For the price difference I can live with the warranty. Though a number are the exact same model between here and uk.

This is one of the models we are looking at http://www.fires2u.com/product/591/verine-atina-slimline-hole-in-the-wall-gas-fire.html#

If you are confident the gas connections and electrics are the same go ahead. I would not be. Good luck.

It may well be that any gas fire has to meet certain Australian standards for it to be installed. If you bring one over it may conform to British Standard but wont have been tested to meet Australian standards (ie it wont have the right standards sticker), so you may find it difficult to get someone to install it.

Thanks for the replies. We are still investigating.

We know about the possible differences and the approvals. We have found the approval costs $250. So now it is just a matter of researching how much it will cost to alter the regulator prior to inspection and import costs.

Well, we are busy with the design for the house build and what we want (hard choices against what we can afford) but my wife's main thing is she wants a gas fire - even though we are having ducted RC.

But, we have just gone round all the companies and we are looking at a min of $5k. Not good. So, it got me thinking. Could i buy one on line from the uk as just pay to get it fitted? The gas systems are effectively the same, so can't see why not. Any ideas?

That sounds like such a lot of money. Based on what I paid around 10 years ago, I would have expected your price to be no more than around $3000. As yours is a new build, I'm wondering whether it includes one-off things like the piping, vents etc, which you would still have to pay for anyway, irrespective of where you get the heater from. Just a thought.

Hi Bill.

No, that is just the cost of the fire - about $5k. The builders are putting the chimney in, gas pipes to the point and electrics. The companies we have spoken to - all of the ones in Perth are quoting about $1k for fitting it and running the flue up through the roof.

The builders are charging about $1k for the chimney.

Never fitted a gas fire in OZ but I would check the specification of the fire ie flue needed, flue run,and also compare the pressure of gas in OZ to UK (don't know if it's the same) as it could be the difference to it working and working safely....

Thanks for the replies. We are still investigating.

We know about the possible differences and the approvals. We have found the approval costs $250. So now it is just a matter of researching how much it will cost to alter the regulator prior to inspection and import costs.

VS - some gas fires are better than others. If you want one that generates heat and doesn't just look pretty - you will have to spend a little more - but you should be able to work it out from the efficiency and heat output. I personally would prefer to go into the shop and see it, as the pictures can be misleading. Is the price that much cheaper? I think our UK one cost about £1200 (+£300 instillation)including everything (mantle etc) but it was on sale.

VS - some gas fires are better than others. If you want one that generates heat and doesn't just look pretty - you will have to spend a little more - but you should be able to work it out from the efficiency and heat output. I personally would prefer to go into the shop and see it, as the pictures can be misleading. Is the price that much cheaper? I think our UK one cost about £1200 (+£300 instillation)including everything (mantle etc) but it was on sale.

The one we are looking at on line is the same model as the one we have seen in the showrooms in Oz. The price difference is over $4k.

The one we are looking at on line is the same model as the one we have seen in the showrooms in Oz. The price difference is over $4k.

Hmm, that's amazing. It might be worth looking at what you are getting for your money. When I bought (admittedly 10 years ago), a major difference between competing heaters was whether they were convecting or conducting (I think!). One of these determines whether you need the heater to heat just the surrounding area, or the whole house. I seem to recall that you said your heater is not your major source of heating, so maybe you don't need to buy one that will heat the whole house, and maybe that can save you money. I remember heading into the Gas Showroom in the city and discussing this with an expert. They weren't retailers, so the advice was impartial.

Hi bill. The one we want is capable of heating the main living area - 60sq m. The ones that don't really add heat are not much cheaper unless I go for a ethanol. Which are a lot cheaper as they don't give off any heat and don't need a flu or anything. But, we would like the heat as although we could heat with aircon, we prefer to have a fire.

Archived