I think I am coming round Oz.

VERYSTORMY

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow...never thought I would have seen this thread VS

Really pleased for you.....different things help different people, glad you've found your thing...

i know that even when its not been your thing its never stopped you from helping others out....keep that heart of gold you've got VS

As QSS says...where you live is just amazing....enjoy what's around you...

Long may it last! I never saw you moving back to the UK so it's brilliant you may be able to be happy where you are. I did think building our own home would help us to put down roots and never even thought about moving back before then - I found renting much harder than I expected and thought our own place would make all the difference but tbh it was only when I could no longer make excuses for feeling like a fish out of water that I faced up to going back.

We all have our own demons - I hope this has put yours to bed, god knows what mine were but they seem to have been left behind because for the first time in my life I feel settled.

Guest Guest 47403
Long may it last! I never saw you moving back to the UK so it's brilliant you may be able to be happy where you are. I did think building our own home would help us to put down roots and never even thought about moving back before then - I found renting much harder than I expected and thought our own place would make all the difference but tbh it was only when I could no longer make excuses for feeling like a fish out of water that I faced up to going back.

We all have our own demons - I hope this has put yours to bed, god knows what mine were but they seem to have been left behind because for the first time in my life I feel settled.

Think I'm gonna struggle with renting really isn't something I'm looking forward too :(

VS I'm the opposite to you, except for buying the house. We have just bought our first house here in the UK and it makes me feel a little more settled.

I came over in 06 with a backpack and not much else, I would go home tomorrow but here is home for the foreseeable future and finally it feels a bit normal.

enjoy the new house.

Mate, VS, what a story ay. Homeless in the doorway of BHS in the boro to living the dream in WA - that is a farking awesome tale to tell..... Brilliant, just brilliant. Honestly, next time you go back you should phone up a few schools in Grangetown n Southbank n that and go do a talk for em. Proper rags to riches storty - I bet you would turn at least a handful round from twoking and knockin out smack. I was thinkin of doing it but all I did was get out of a min wage delivery job in Stockon when living with me Mam!

We have rented since arriving and now are building our first home and I think this has made me feel more settled and start to feel like home.

Wait till you get to bang a picture hook into a bare wall. Then you know you are "home" and not renting.

Mate, VS, what a story ay. Homeless in the doorway of BHS in the boro to living the dream in WA - that is a farking awesome tale to tell..... Brilliant, just brilliant. Honestly, next time you go back you should phone up a few schools in Grangetown n Southbank n that and go do a talk for em. Proper rags to riches storty - I bet you would turn at least a handful round from twoking and knockin out smack. I was thinkin of doing it but all I did was get out of a min wage delivery job in Stockon when living with me Mam!

Didn't even realize you were from the same part of the world!

I most wanted to go back to my old school and speak to the teachers that said I was so stupid the best I could hope for was a job with the council bin men. But the school has long gone.

When I was at uni I did do work in Leicester with kids that had been expelled from school. If I ever do go back to Boro for a visit I may well go along to one of the community centers or something. But that is probably a long way down the road.

I do wonder if there is something I could do you here!

Thanks guys. It is an interesting feeling to finally feel settled. It's like a weight has been lifted.

You may not have realized it, but it probably not just you changing to like Perth, Perth has also changed. This last visit I have seen the greatest change. It's in the little things like the types of beer on offer, the range of food in the super markets, even the attitude of the people. Perth is being influenced (kicking and screaming) by the immigrants arriving on her shores. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

Thanks guys. It is an interesting feeling to finally feel settled. It's like a weight has been lifted.

I was musing about this, or something similar, on the Sydney forum today. "Crossing The Rubicon" & "Burning ones boats (or bridges.) It does not matter how long you are here, or even if you become a citizen, it's still difficult to think like a native-born Aussie. They live here, and (mostly) they don't want to live anywhere else. This is where they live, and this is where they will die.

I don't want to go back to England anymore, not even for a holiday; I've finally ditched the "Sterling' and become a "Currency lad!"

Five and half years - we arrived may 2008.

I keep saying 5 yrs min required but most have done the Pommy Run before that. And people here are still posting "not settled and been here 3 weeks".

You may not have realized it, but it probably not just you changing to like Perth, Perth has also changed. This last visit I have seen the greatest change. It's in the little things like the types of beer on offer, the range of food in the super markets, even the attitude of the people. Perth is being influenced (kicking and screaming) by the immigrants arriving on her shores. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

Indeed. The remoteness while of course still here is a little less apparent than before due in part to some of the changes mentioned. All comes at a price of course, so change had to come. Just how it all pans out time will tell. We are still a largely resource dependant state with little signs of what will replace that when the boom falters.

I just wish they'd go ahead with the public transport rail building plan. Regardless of cost it won't get cheaper. If we are going into more debt make it something long lasting and badly needed. Increase the inner city density while at it and turn Perth into a true city. But agree much improved in recent times.

I was musing about this, or something similar, on the Sydney forum today. "Crossing The Rubicon" & "Burning ones boats (or bridges.) It does not matter how long you are here, or even if you become a citizen, it's still difficult to think like a native-born Aussie. They live here, and (mostly) they don't want to live anywhere else. This is where they live, and this is where they will die.

I don't want to go back to England anymore, not even for a holiday; I've finally ditched the "Sterling' and become a "Currency lad!"

Apart from the roughly one million strong Aussie born ex pat community found close on everywhere.

I keep saying 5 yrs min required but most have done the Pommy Run before that. And people here are still posting "not settled and been here 3 weeks".

Reminds me of the phrase one person wrote, " I've been in Australia 6 months and know all about it"...

Cheers, Bobj.

Apart from the roughly one million strong Aussie born ex pat community found close on everywhere.

You miss my point; this isn't (FOR ONCE!) about Australia being better than the UK, it's about adopting a state of mind whereby Australia becomes 'HOME'. There's no right or wrong about it. I was talking to a young bloke on the train last week, here on a 457 visa with his partner, and he sounded like he has made a huge success of his life here. But they are going back to England, to be close to family and have another baby. Fair enough. I said 'why don't you stay here until you can get your Aussie citizenship, then you can come and go as you please.'

How many of those Aussie expats have 'crossed their Rubicon' wherever they are, and have no intention of returning to OZ? Some are on working holidays. Some like it so much, they want to stay longer, (sometimes permanently), some are on work contracts. Some stay for a few years, then decide return to OZ for much the same reason as the Pommie guy I spoke to on the train. Of course there are high profile (and low) ones like Kylie, Clive James, Germaine Greer, who are basically Australian born Brits.

During my twelve-year stint in the UK, I guess I could be classed as an Aussie expat. I never made plans either way, although at the back of my mind, I always intended to return to OZ again. Perhaps that is the difference now? I have no intention of returning to the UK again.

Some people go home and it unsettles them, me included. For some, it has the reverse effect, and they realize Australia is where they want to live.

You miss my point; this isn't (FOR ONCE!) about Australia being better than the UK, it's about adopting a state of mind whereby Australia becomes 'HOME'. There's no right or wrong about it. I was talking to a young bloke on the train last week, here on a 457 visa with his partner, and he sounded like he has made a huge success of his life here. But they are going back to England, to be close to family and have another baby. Fair enough. I said 'why don't you stay here until you can get your Aussie citizenship, then you can come and go as you please.'

How many of those Aussie expats have 'crossed their Rubicon' wherever they are, and have no intention of returning to OZ? Some are on working holidays. Some like it so much, they want to stay longer, (sometimes permanently), some are on work contracts. Some stay for a few years, then decide return to OZ for much the same reason as the Pommie guy I spoke to on the train. Of course there are high profile (and low) ones like Kylie, Clive James, Germaine Greer, who are basically Australian born Brits.

During my twelve-year stint in the UK, I guess I could be classed as an Aussie expat. I never made plans either way, although at the back of my mind, I always intended to return to OZ again. Perhaps that is the difference now? I have no intention of returning to the UK again.

Some people go home and it unsettles them, me included. For some, it has the reverse effect, and they realize Australia is where they want to live.

It was never suggested it was an Australia is better than UK thread. There is movement in all directions these days which includes a growing number of permanent Aussie expats. I don't refer to those that go on a WHV to UK or elsewhere for a year or two, but those that mark permanent on exit form at immigration departure. 88,000 was the last figure I recall of Aussie born leaving, of course some of these are kids of returning migrants but a number are those that seek better opportunities elsewhere. USA is popular with the professional classes these days. Cheap housing and good salaries.

Besides the young leaving, don't forget an ever increasing number of oldsters moving out to where their dollar goes further.

I alone know a 58 year old woman that has moved permanently to Cambodia and lives off the rent for her Adelaide house, supplemented by teaching a few days a week English, a 50 year odd guy from Perth that sold up in London, moved to Spain, then five years later to Northern Thailand.

I met loads of Aussies over the years living in Thailand, Cambodia and a good friend in Laos. I have heard of many others moving to Bali, in retirement in order a live a freer life. I expect this will gather in intensity as more baby boomers retire and are more Asia savvy, and cash in on their investment property, super or even the OAP.

I think what it comes down to is to stop trying to compare everything between the two and appreciating that both are great countries and both have different pluses and negatives. But, this is home now. Every country has pluses and negatives. Heck, even Tanzania has some pluses - beer is actually pretty good and the somasas are excellent. But, it won't be home.

To be honest though, the pluses and negatives interest me less now. It is all about accepting where home is and appreciating what home has. Inhale just been stood in the front yard and watched a flock of galahs fly over. I could not have seen that in the UK. Some might say, but, but I could see xyz fly over instead in the UK. And yes, but you know what. I liked watching the galahs.

The one that will shock some on here the most!!!

I went to e freo beer festival and enjoyed a fair number of the beers!

But would you think of going elsewhere besides England? I sometimes go to Europe and don't bother with England.

You made me think about my holidays (and perhaps just how staid I have been!) I have only had one holdiday out of Australia, where I did not go to England. I went to Club Med in Noumea (New Caledonia) in 1980, paid for with my first Aussie tax refund. And I had one 'business trip' - a weekend in Auckland', involving making a delivery to an RAN ship at Devonport. I had some extended trips, mostly to the USA, Hong Kong, Bali, but everyone of them was coming to or from England. There's not even anywhere I particularly want to go to now, either. Tasmania and the NT, Lord Howe and Norfolk Islands, proper trip to NZ.

As far as those Aussie expats go, I probably put 'leaving Australia permanently' on my passport. I think many of those people who retire to cheaper places in S.E. Asia, still call Australia home, and if they get sick, they come back. Not unlike Brits who retire to Spain, then lose a partner, or get sick.

I was looking at the first post again, and it's about the feeling the person had of finally feeling settled in Australia? I will always be English, of course, and I can't get enough of the English newspapers online, English football, SKY News UK overnight, but I LIVE here. I'm not here on 'holiday'. I'm not here on a temporary basis. If I get sick, I won't be returning to the UK. I think that letting my UK passport expire, although partly due to laxness, is also symbolic of my fully embracing Australia. I always used to renew my Pommie passport as soon as it expired.

Archived