Christmas is coming!

HappyHeart

Xmas songs in the shops already, surely its a bit early or is it just me being a scrooge?

No you're not a Scrooge. November is too early for Xmas. There are decorations up everywhere here and Adelaide had a Christmas pageant yesterday. We didn't go because it's too early. Xmas starts in December for me. Happy for it to be the 1st December, but it should wait until December.

We have decided now to do it a bit different. In the past, I have done a traditional lunch for us. This year, my wife is going to make it and do it Peru style - so turkey, but marinaded in spices and served with a range of salads. We are also going to just get each other cheap gifts - so probably just daft fun things. So, off tomorrow to order the turkey from Boatshed.

Then seafood on boxing day.

I must admit I'm dreading it a bit this year, first without my family and first of living in Aussieland. Keep watching Xmas ads on youtube and bawling my eyes out! I think I will really miss my family and traditions from home but looking forward to learning new ones. Bought some lovely new decorations so that's something, looking forward to setting up my tree, and it's great having enough money to really spoil my in laws and family at home too, splashed out a bit and had a big box of Hotel Chocolate choccies sent to my mum's house for everyone. At least I have my gorgeous hubby and his family are very welcoming and lovely to me, and of course I can spoil the dogs! Turkey dinner all round here, followed by Xmas films (which I will probably cry some more at).

I think you have to try to embrace a new Aussie Xmas ethos or you’ll end up hankering for the UK experience.

So, things like going the beach in the morning, pool party, different grub etc.

We still have a Xmas dinner, the in-laws won’t let us get away with that. But we have a seafood BBQ as well, later in the day usually.

If you buy into the whole thing, it’s better than sitting in front of the fire watching Moonraker IMO.

Of course, if the other stuff doesn’t appeal, I guess you’re snookered.

Anyone got any ideas of sending gifts back home to family in the UK that wont cost the earth? xx

We do online shopping on the uk stores - M&S, Argos and the like, also for the old folks Sainsbury for some Christmas/normal groceries and booze. We still maintain a uk bank account, which makes it cheaper than credit card, but both are cheaper than Aus Post

We have decided now to do it a bit different. In the past, I have done a traditional lunch for us. This year, my wife is going to make it and do it Peru style - so turkey, but marinaded in spices and served with a range of salads. We are also going to just get each other cheap gifts - so probably just daft fun things. So, off tomorrow to order the turkey from Boatshed.

Then seafood on boxing day.

You've reminded me of little fun tradition we have in our family. Second hand/charity shop/car boot gifts. Budget is say a tenner, has to be funny, cheesy, corny or something along those lines.

I found hubby an old Top Gear annual with all these cut out and make things still good to do and a weird and wonderful bottle opener. And some other silly gems. Must try to do the same here for people.

Guest Guest16631

........every year I have a christmas party when the most of the family are home.......

.........and invite all those I know who have no one to go to at Christmas........

........plus other guests do the same.......

...........I only ask they bring a plate of food to share.......

............and a wrapped gift for 10 dollars that has to be unisex......

...........I have met some wonderful people over the years..............and we have had some great gifts.........!

You've reminded me of little fun tradition we have in our family. Second hand/charity shop/car boot gifts. Budget is say a tenner, has to be funny, cheesy, corny or something along those lines.

I found hubby an old Top Gear annual with all these cut out and make things still good to do and a weird and wonderful bottle opener. And some other silly gems. Must try to do the same here for people.

Sounds like what we are going to do. We did it once before when I was a skint student and still have and use some of the things - one was a egg cup and still have my boiled eggs and soldiers with it several times a week.

Archived