Do as I say, not as I do

paulv

Lots of things aren't fair in this world!! What a strange thing to say "thats just the upper class kids don't question them because there just better than us" You can bury you head in the sand for so long but sooner or later you have to voice an opinion!

And what are you doing about it?Protesting?Writing endless letters to your local MP?Becoming an MP?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whilst MP's tell us plebs to stick on another jumper if we are too cold and can't afford to heat our homes, the same MP's claim their fuel bills back for their SECOND homes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/10423252/340-MPs-claim-200000-on-expenses-for-energy-bills.html

Stop reading the telegraph, if you read the full article it was an analysis done by the Sunday Mirror, need I say anymore.

I'm having trouble getting my head around the fact that less than 100% of people on this forum think that the OPs post was not a valid one? Just because we are limited in our ability to change policy doesn't mean we shouldn't question. What would you guys like..a dictatorship? Apathy rules! Staggered tbh! It affects every one of us..do we not all use the NHS and public services in the UK? As for someone not resident commenting...politicians feathering their own nests is not exclusive to the UK.

Guest Guest 47403
I dont see what the big deal of posting it was either. Also cant believe some people are dragging Aus into it again :dull:

Cant have a opinion on something in the UK section without being told to move away

Some folk will always try and drag Oz into it when something about the UK is criticised, it seems to be some sort of coping mechanism for the there own personal failings.

I'm having trouble getting my head around the fact that less than 100% of people on this forum think that the OPs post was not a valid one? Just because we are limited in our ability to change policy doesn't mean we shouldn't question. What would you guys like..a dictatorship? Apathy rules! Staggered tbh! It affects every one of us..do we not all use the NHS and public services in the UK? As for someone not resident commenting...politicians feathering their own nests is not exclusive to the UK.

It is a valid point!My point was I don't spend any time worrying over stuff like that!I work for the NHS,and am aware of the cuts ect!I've just had news last week the unit where I work could be closed next year!Do I go to bed every night worrying about it?No,I embrace the challenge of having to possibly find something else(could be even better for all I know!)further down the line.Live in the moment people!Its much kinder!lol

Guest The Pom Queen

For goodness sake the lot of you grow up. It is UK news posted in the UK section if you don't want to read it move on, but attacking the OP is totally out of order and will not be tolerated.

If the UK government/system aint your thing.....theres lots of other places you could go.....you could always try Australia?

I prefer to stay and change things for the good of my fellow citizens.

Running away ain't my thing.

I don't go to bed each night worrying where my taxes are going if thats what you mean?I'm not well off financially,but I do have a home(not owned)a job,a car and a comfortable life,and thats what I go to bed thinking about!Why waste energy worrying over something you probably can't control?We're actually spoilt compared to alot of people walking this earth!

I would much rather my taxes were going on supporting the elderly, young,disabled and dying (it's those charities which have been hit hard by cuts) than buying Iain Duncan Smith's pants or supporting two or three extra homes for MPs who seem incapable of using public transport to travel a short distance to work.

I and my family have a very comfortable life, so I could easily say the same as you, but I feel anger for the people who are being so adversely affected because we keep being told there's no money to keep hospices etc open.

We are very lucky in comparison with many on this earth, but that doesn't mean we should just lie down and take whatever they decide to throw at us. You're right, there's very little we can do, but we can protest and let them know that we're not the stupid, naive proles they think we are.

Stop reading the telegraph, if you read the full article it was an analysis done by the Sunday Mirror, need I say anymore.

Yes you do.

Is there an issue with these papers?

I believe the info came from a FoI request originally so it's not really politically motivated as far as I'm aware

I would much rather my taxes were going on supporting the elderly, young,disabled and dying (it's those charities which have been hit hard by cuts) than buying Iain Duncan Smith's pants or supporting two or three extra homes for MPs who seem incapable of using public transport to travel a short distance to work.

I and my family have a very comfortable life, so I could easily say the same as you, but I feel anger for the people who are being so adversely affected because we keep being told there's no money to keep hospices etc open.

We are very lucky in comparison with many on this earth, but that doesn't mean we should just lie down and take whatever they decide to throw at us. You're right, there's very little we can do, but we can protest and let them know that we're not the stupid, naive proles they think we are.

:notworthy::notworthy:

Some folk will always try and drag Oz into it when something about the UK is criticised, it seems to be some sort of coping mechanism for the there own personal failings.

Bit strong isn't it baz, at the end of the day those people that have moved to Australia and come back for whatever reason have every right to point out the positives and negatives of the respective countries from their experience, i would not call their experiences "personal failures"

Guest Guest 47403
Bit strong isn't it baz, at the end of the day those people that have moved to Australia and come back for whatever reason have every right to point out the positives and negatives of the respective countries from their experience, i would not call their experiences "personal failures"

Andy no problem with people that give the negatives there some excellent folk on here with great insight that have moved back to the UK..................then there are the ones that just want to point score and can't bare to have a bad word said about the UK without mentioning how bad Oz is, it gets boring!

Guest Guest 47403

• Nadhim Zahawi, Stratford-on-Avon, Conservative, £5,822.27, Electricity Other fuel

Made me chuckle a bit where the MP that claims the most lives, seems it may have the totally opposite micro climate to what we have been led to believe :wink:

...politicians feathering their own nests is not exclusive to the UK.

And whilst it may not be morally right to claim for what they do, on the flip side i'd rather them be claiming for a bit of gas and eleccy rather than some countries politicians who would be using our taxes to fund their own private armies to wipe out anyone that disagrees with them. As repugnant as some of the claims are, hopefully the more transparent these facts become the greater the pressure will be to change the system.

Politicians are human, hence they are not perfect. We expect them to do the right thing but they need to be prodded in the right direction every now and again. If your mp is listed there and people do not vote they only have themselves to blame. Democracy is great but it's also painfully slow sometimes. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely and all that.

I find it interesting that when disillusioned poms in oz criticise the Australian political system they often get shouted down and told to accept it or go home. And yet here we have someone saying perhaps it's not worth the worry, and there is outcry about their perceived apathy!

Not wishing to bring Oz into the debate but it all cries of double standards.

Guest Guest 47403
I find it interesting that when disillusioned poms in oz criticise the Australian political system they often get shouted down and told to accept it or go home. And yet here we have someone saying perhaps it's not worth the worry, and there is outcry about their perceived apathy!

Not wishing to bring Oz into the debate but it all cries of double standards.

Never seen that on this website.

I find it interesting that when disillusioned poms in oz criticise the Australian political system they often get shouted down and told to accept it or go home.

I must have missed a lot of posts.... because I don't recall any like that about the political system.

People in Australia are as cynical about politicians and the political system as any.

And whilst it may not be morally right to claim for what they do, on the flip side i'd rather them be claiming for a bit of gas and eleccy rather than some countries politicians who would be using our taxes to fund their own private armies to wipe out anyone that disagrees with them. As repugnant as some of the claims are, hopefully the more transparent these facts become the greater the pressure will be to change the system.

Politicians are human, hence they are not perfect. We expect them to do the right thing but they need to be prodded in the right direction every now and again. If your mp is listed there and people do not vote they only have themselves to blame. Democracy is great but it's also painfully slow sometimes. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely and all that.

Is claiming for gas and leccy for your horses OK too?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10439030/Millionaire-Tory-MP-claimed-expenses-to-heat-stables.html

Archived