The Good, The Bad, The Ugly of Perth

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest Guest66881

Pigeon boxes with an exception to most new builds here, those in blighty do have some garden area to get out into - pre war stock though.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest66881

Our old house we had an extension with the garage under the bedroom going back into the kitchen extension, those shitty old wooden or precast concrete things are a nightmare, ugly as a ugly pug too.

Guest Guest66881

We loved our old english house as we helped rebuild it (well i did), our house here now is our dream come true, we have large rooms large garden and a pool, never would have been available back there.

Guest The Pom Queen
Same here.

MarketSt.jpg

My old place, 2nd on the right. And yes, simmo, B61 and Paula, I might have been in that pic...:tongue:

Cheers, Bobj.

Is that white Bradford

We are building our dream house here and compared to what we had in the UK - a two up two down terrace it will be amazing. But, I wonder if it would last as long! The house in the uk was built in 1890. I suspect the new one here won't last a century.

Oh, I dunno...Some Aboriginal homes have been standing for up to 60,000 years and more and complete with pictures.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

The point i am making is that all houses in oz are almost exactly the same. Yes in the UK whole estates look the same but i could buy a huge variety of different houses such as terraced , georgian, victorian, bungalow , villa, townhouse etc and areas of of a city have a distinct different feel unless you live in Milton Keynes or Hull or somewhere else ****,areas look the same yes but there is a huge variety of different property

There really is far more variety in Australia then this suggests imo. Sure, once you pass roughly the 1970's line and move out into the new suburbs many modern designs feel somewhat similar (but less so than UK new build estates all done by the same builder), but what about all the housing in Australia from before then ? There are different periods; Victorian, Colonial, Federation, Interwar; post war; all done in different styles terrace, brick, queenslander wood and tin to suit the area and climate etc etc. People can choose whether to live in the new builds areas or the older areas to suit.

A not untypical street near me:

6424490685_601eb75053_b.jpg

126 by fish.2, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...
We are building our dream house here and compared to what we had in the UK - a two up two down terrace it will be amazing. But, I wonder if it would last as long! The house in the uk was built in 1890. I suspect the new one here won't last a century.

But a century old house in the UK would have had a lot of upkeep/modernising over the years just as our new Aussie houses will, I will be surprised if they reach the age of maybe 60years and just collapse !?

• 3 weeks later...
Had to laugh at that article as 90% of Perth is exactly the same. Houses are not designed here they are copied and pasted. They almost all have the same basic bland design and you cant really tell much difference beetween a lot of the suburbs. Freo does need a facelift but at least it looks a bit differant

That's strange. Both me and the missus said the one thing we like is that the houses aren't all the same when you walk round an "estate". They are all different and you seem to be able to pick and choose a design and work with the builders and architects to come up with something that suits you.

Some of the areas we looked at when we first came were Northshore, Ocean Reef, Iluka, Beaumaris. You just bought a block and then chose a builder with several different designs you could put on it. Having a ride down West Coast Highway is a great, so many different designs. I bet an architect new to the country would get a real buzz and some good ideas from having a look along there.

Agree and the inside is worse!

My son knew a couple of people who worked on that project and recently there's been an add on TV saying what the Arena has brought to Perth. Obviously highlighting all the good things about it. My son said, way over budget, way over time to build, forgot to put the car park underneath and spent so much money on it that they ran out of money for anything else.

I don't mind it, don't think it's the best building but like the inside. It's a surprise to see so much wood used on the inside when the outside looks so modern. Feels like you are in a totally different building inside. One thing I really dislike is all the fast food outlets and not one nice place to sit down and have a decent meal and drink. Would have been so much better had they put in a nice bar and restaurant. Been a few times for different acts and it's great sound system and unobstructed views make for a good place to see bands. Price of the public transport included is good too.

Only when you live in the shxx areas of the UK Yes the house look different outside but we almost all live in 4x2 with the same living area etc and built like a shed. I have never lived in a shoebox in the UK but then i never lived in council estates either. Can you explain to me what is different? all have 4 tiny beds check, living area with kitchen, dining and living area together check , oh and cinema room that is about the size of a decent TV. Can you explain how this is variety? Yes i know Butler is paradise to you but to me it is like communist Russia.

Oh you're talking about Butler.:rolleyes: Thought you were meaning the whole of Perth. Cinema room and 4 beds and you still find something to complain about. Most people would give their right arm to have a cinema room and maybe a swimming pool, not that it would be much use in the UK I know. Have a look round Iluka, Northshore, West Coast Highway and the "estates" a bit further in and you don't see 2 houses the same.

Our old house in the UK was built in 1890 too. We had to spend loads on it when we bought it and even when we left we knew it still needed a lot of money spending on the roof and the bowing gable end. Just because they have been made to last 100+ years doesn't mean it's a good idea. It's more of a necessity thing. Here you see houses that are perfectly good being bowled over for the land to put up a bigger house or maybe 2 houses where one existed before. My wife loved an old house (1960's) in Applecross that had big eves and nice wooden floorboards. Looked lovely inside too and had been well looked after. It was out of our price range and a couple of months after we had been to look at it we went to see our friends in Applecross and a developer had bought the house we liked and was demolishing it. My wife just couldn't belive why they would knock down a perfectly good house. We've seen it happen so often now we are used to it.

Where our friends live they have an old house on a quarter acre block and the one next door was much the same. The owners spent hundreds of thousands on it, having a huge extension built, new roof, garage, garden landscaped and pool. 6 months after they sold it and the new owners demolished it and put up a massive double storey place.

It's been awhile since I heard the terms affordability and Perth in the same sentence.

It's been a few years since I heard the words affordability and house in the same sentence. Bit like affordability and kids, heard on the radio this morning cost of bringing up 2 kids is $800,000, yet a lot of us seem to manage it, have a house and still get by somehow.

Where our friends live they have an old house on a quarter acre block and the one next door was much the same. The owners spent hundreds of thousands on it, having a huge extension built, new roof, garage, garden landscaped and pool. 6 months after they sold it and the new owners demolished it and put up a massive double storey place.

Ugh, I would have been gutted to see that if I was the previous owner!

Archived